Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Where to stay - Boston area

Where to stay - Boston area

Old Apr 30th 2010, 12:27 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to stay - Boston area

Originally Posted by tonrob
Are you sure about that? I found this, but it doesn't look like it's ready for blast off yet...
Okay, maybe not the CAT itself, but ferry service is pretty cheap - http://www.nfl-bay.com/

That takes you to Saint John, NB and that's farting distance to Digby, NS across the way.

That's what MIL and family are taking I think for summer holidays.
Old Apr 30th 2010, 12:59 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Okay, maybe not the CAT itself, but ferry service is pretty cheap - http://www.nfl-bay.com/

That takes you to Saint John, NB and that's farting distance to Digby, NS across the way.

That's what MIL and family are taking I think for summer holidays.
I may be being a right joey here, but I can't see that this goes from Boston. If you look at the map then the line north in red is overland. Are they just pointing out (for the hard of thinking) that you can make your own way overland (all the way to) to St John, which is actually where the boats goes from?
Old Apr 30th 2010, 2:53 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I may be being a right joey here, but I can't see that this goes from Boston. If you look at the map then the line north in red is overland. Are they just pointing out (for the hard of thinking) that you can make your own way overland (all the way to) to St John, which is actually where the boats goes from?
They have a ferry that can/does stop at those locations.

Then again, MIL might be using another ferry service, she just said it was one of the first off google and that was the first one.
Old Apr 30th 2010, 12:17 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Do you mean the Portland/Bar Harbor-Yarmouth run? I read they canceled it - which is a bugger as we were intending to head to Nova Scotia this year..

They have. With a stepson in Halifax it was a pleasant way to get there.
Old May 5th 2010, 5:35 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

OK, I have booked a hotel in Cambridge on the River, and am now having bookers remorse.

I got a great deal and love the hotel, but is it a good location? We are quite happy walkers and are quite happy to walk around 30 minutes to get where we want to be, and also happy to use public transport.

On a night though I want to be able to walk somewhere fairly close to eat, from what I have read there are plenty of restaurants in Cambridge but....

Can someone reassure me.
Old May 5th 2010, 5:56 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
OK, I have booked a hotel in Cambridge on the River, and am now having bookers remorse.

I got a great deal and love the hotel, but is it a good location? We are quite happy walkers and are quite happy to walk around 30 minutes to get where we want to be, and also happy to use public transport.

On a night though I want to be able to walk somewhere fairly close to eat, from what I have read there are plenty of restaurants in Cambridge but....

Can someone reassure me.
If this is where I assume it is, it's a good location. Harvard Square (with plenty of good restaurants) will be a twenty minute walk in one direction, and Comm Ave and Back Bay in Boston a 20-45 minute walk in the other direction. You'll have access to the T in Cambridge (Red Line) and across the river in Boston (Green Line)
Old May 5th 2010, 6:39 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
If this is where I assume it is, it's a good location. Harvard Square (with plenty of good restaurants) will be a twenty minute walk in one direction, and Comm Ave and Back Bay in Boston a 20-45 minute walk in the other direction. You'll have access to the T in Cambridge (Red Line) and across the river in Boston (Green Line)
Old May 5th 2010, 6:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
Probably a lot of one-way streets and footpaths...
Old May 5th 2010, 6:45 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

What?

Comm Ave is just across the river, so maybe 20 minutes, Back Bay is further, maybe another 20 minutes .. you got a problem wid dat??
Old May 5th 2010, 6:56 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Can someone reassure me.
Shouldn't be a problem, good location....T shuts down around midnight or a little later, but walking around and getting taxis is pretty easy.

Just as the locals where best to eat and avoid the tourist traps which are massively over priced and you'll be all set.
Old May 5th 2010, 6:58 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

What?

Comm Ave is just across the river, so maybe 20 minutes, Back Bay is further, maybe another 20 minutes .. you got a problem wid dat??
No problem... I just wasn't familiar with the term "walk". I've since googled it and I think I understand now.
Old May 5th 2010, 7:20 pm
Heading for Poppyland

No problem... I just wasn't familiar with the term "walk". I've since googled it and I think I understand now.
Yeah -- that "walking" is something we blue-staters do when we are feeling particularly communistic
Old May 5th 2010, 7:36 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah -- that "walking" is something we blue-staters do when we are feeling particularly communistic
hippies.
Old May 6th 2010, 11:02 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Can someone reassure me.
It is a bit out of the way... It depends whether you're a go out and stay out of the hotel for the day kind of person or whether you want/need to be able to pop back to change shoes/dump shopping/freshen up before dinner whatever. Boston's a very walkable city, and you can and probably will walk miles while you're there.

The problem with this location is you have to walk a good distance on top of those miles because of the location of the hotel. You could mitigate some of this by using taxis, and this really does depend on how far you really mind walking in a day - I'd just recommend staying somewhere a bit more close to stuff if you can find anywhere in the right bracket.
Old May 6th 2010, 5:36 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

What?

I understood what you meant

Originally Posted by Bob
Shouldn't be a problem, good location....T shuts down around midnight or a little later, but walking around and getting taxis is pretty easy.

Just as the locals where best to eat and avoid the tourist traps which are massively over priced and you'll be all set.
We won't be out past midnight, we'll have the little one with us.

It is a bit out of the way... It depends whether you're a go out and stay out of the hotel for the day kind of person or whether you want/need to be able to pop back to change shoes/dump shopping/freshen up before dinner whatever. Boston's a very walkable city, and you can and probably will walk miles while you're there.

The problem with this location is you have to walk a good distance on top of those miles because of the location of the hotel. You could mitigate some of this by using taxis, and this really does depend on how far you really mind walking in a day - I'd just recommend staying somewhere a bit more close to stuff if you can find anywhere in the right bracket.
I was just feeling better and up you pop We normally head out in the morning, do some sight seeing, get a late lunch, do some more seeing, head back to the hotel around 4.00 rest up for a couple of hours and head out for food.

Even though we have the little one with us, we will happily walk 5-7 miles a day, and don't mind walking for half an hour to a restaurant and back on an evening.

Quite like using public transport while on vacation, but try to stay away from taxi's.

I think I will do as you suggest and keep my eyes open for a deal around Copley Square, I can cancel my current res up to the day before we go.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.