British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Where should we move? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/where-should-we-move-596461/)

StarlaLorien Mar 10th 2009 4:31 am

Re: Where should we move?

Originally Posted by penguinsix (Post 7362032)
The DC / Northern Virginia hits nearly all of your points, with the exception of the big one--cost. It's very expensive out here, especially close into the city proper (where the action is). Still, it's quite international and has a rather steady job base with the federal government as the main anchor. You might take a gander at the Washingtonpost.com classified ads for jobs (believe it or not, it's actually a VERY good job site for Washington jobs--highly recommend). It will give you an idea of what types of positions you can find out here. Then head over to realtor.com to get an idea of how far your few $$s will actually go when it comes to housing.

Good luck.

Thanks everyone!

DC does sound pretty good so far. And alot of Brits in Boston, it seems! Are people there as rude as their reputation? For some reason whenever I mention moving to New England, people say "Ugh, they're so unfriendly!"

scrubbedexpat099 Mar 10th 2009 4:45 am

Originally Posted by StarlaLorien (Post 7362313)
Thanks everyone!

DC does sound pretty good so far. And alot of Brits in Boston, it seems! Are people there as rude as their reputation? For some reason whenever I mention moving to New England, people say "Ugh, they're so unfriendly!"

Boulder sounds like it would meet your requirements.

StarlaLorien Mar 10th 2009 5:26 am

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 7362338)
Boulder sounds like it would meet your requirements.

Really? :D That happens to be where we live now.

We do like it here...and love Boulder itself to bits...but I graduate in May and get the feeling we'd be fish out of water no longer being students.

Plus, Boulder is like an island...its wonderful, but there's not much else in an 800 mile radius. I miss PEOPLE!

YankeemovingAbroad Mar 10th 2009 5:34 am

Originally Posted by StarlaLorien (Post 7360880)
Hi everyone,

I am American and my husband is from Scotland. We've been married and living together stateside for three years. We're currently in Colorado but I graduate from college in May and we want to move somewhere else in America. We only have family ties to ND/MN and don't want to move there :thumbdown:

What parts of America are well suited for people that both really miss the UK but can't afford to move back and who want to be able to visit the UK often for least expense?

Colorado is too empty. We don't like that you have to drive 8 hours in any direction to get another major city! So, we are thinking the east coast (as it may be cheaper to fly back to the UK to visit from there) but are really unfamiliar with it.

Any thoughts or advice is appreciated! Thanks :)

Spain!! Better weather than the north east usa and very close to the UK. Problem solved!!

scrubbedexpat099 Mar 10th 2009 5:45 am

Look south, you have Denver!

DIA has direct flights to London. And there are plenty of expats in Boulder and the surrounding area. More so than in many areas on the East Coast I have been to.

I thought it was probably one of the easier areas to move to. Especially bearing in mind some of the threads I have read on this site.

tonrob Mar 10th 2009 10:51 am

Originally Posted by starky (Post 7362228)
Even on the really cold days it was mostly sunny, days like today have been very few,gray and damp and cold. I just stay and work from home during the snow so I am lucky that I can do that. At least there will be a good summer to look forward to, hopefully.

And I've found that's usually the case (in the 4 years I've been in MA). Wall to wall sunny skies seem to be the norm most days year round - it's just the temperature fluctuates a bit! Soon enough we'll be sweating our tits off in 100+ degree heat and oppressive humidity, longing for those days we had snow. And so the cycle continues....;)

another bloody yank Mar 10th 2009 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by StarlaLorien (Post 7362394)
Really? :D That happens to be where we live now.

We do like it here...and love Boulder itself to bits...but I graduate in May and get the feeling we'd be fish out of water no longer being students.

Plus, Boulder is like an island...its wonderful, but there's not much else in an 800 mile radius. I miss PEOPLE!

I've heard Boulder referred to as "14 Square Miles Surrounded By Reality"... My Wife spent a summer there working in a theatre, a Shakespeare festival or something. She said it smelled like Hippies.

zargof Mar 10th 2009 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by another bloody yank (Post 7363340)
I've heard Boulder referred to as "14 Square Miles Surrounded By Reality"... My Wife spent a summer there working in a theatre, a Shakespeare festival or something. She said it smelled like Hippies.

Well the full name is actually "The People's Republic of Boulder". I'm not sure if it's the thin air, but the people around there are a little different.

Rete Mar 10th 2009 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by penguinsix (Post 7362032)
The DC / Northern Virginia hits nearly all of your points, with the exception of the big one--cost. It's very expensive out here, especially close into the city proper (where the action is). Still, it's quite international and has a rather steady job base with the federal government as the main anchor. You might take a gander at the Washingtonpost.com classified ads for jobs (believe it or not, it's actually a VERY good job site for Washington jobs--highly recommend). It will give you an idea of what types of positions you can find out here. Then head over to realtor.com to get an idea of how far your few $$s will actually go when it comes to housing.

Good luck.

Actually working in DC is perfect for living in the outter fringes of northern virginia. I have a nephew and his family who live in Anadale, VA and they are both DC Attorneys. They purchased a town house two years ago and the bottom has dropped out of the housing market and it is duplicate townhouses in their complex are going to $100,000 to $125,000 less than what they paid for theirs 2 years ago. Reston, VA has may apartment complexes that are inexpensive to live in and some that are even have rents based on your income which is a good way to go. Believe me they are not slums or in slum areas either.

caleyjag Mar 10th 2009 3:38 pm

Seattle has a functional British ex-pat community, with a small Scottish presence. It is however complimented by proximity to Victoria and Vancouver, which have enormous British elements (especially Victoria).

San Francisco had a pretty decent UK ex-pat scene when I lived there.

Finally, I found a cracking Scottish boozer in St Louis last time I was there. It didn't have too many Scots in it mind, but it was well done.

Bob Mar 10th 2009 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by StarlaLorien (Post 7362313)

New England is a large collection of states, and mostly pretty friendly, it's just Mass that has the sour bunch, especially in Boston, but then you'd get to be a miserable git too if you had to deal with the driving in Boston on a daily basis :D

StarlaLorien Mar 11th 2009 1:19 am

Thanks again! Ah, such decisions. I've been researching the places that have been mentioned, and the cost of living is extortionate! I was expecting expensive, but yikes. Do the wages compensate for this? And I thought Boulder was expensive.....

md95065 Mar 11th 2009 6:04 am

Originally Posted by caleyjag (Post 7363925)
Seattle has a functional British ex-pat community, with a small Scottish presence. It is however complimented by proximity to Victoria and Vancouver, which have enormous British elements (especially Victoria).

San Francisco had a pretty decent UK ex-pat scene when I lived there.

Finally, I found a cracking Scottish boozer in St Louis last time I was there. It didn't have too many Scots in it mind, but it was well done.

Also worth mentioning that there are plenty of direct flights to the UK from the major west coast cities and, while the flight time is a couple of hours longer, the cost typically isn't much more than it is from the east coast.

anabella Mar 11th 2009 6:17 am

Originally Posted by another bloody yank (Post 7363340)

:lol:
Yes, there are a lot of hippies in Boulder, they are not particularly smelly though...well, unless the pot smell counts...

scrubbedexpat099 Mar 11th 2009 7:22 am

Originally Posted by anabella (Post 7366279)
:lol:
Yes, there are a lot of hippies in Boulder, they are not particularly smelly though...well, unless the pot smell counts...

I woud not say hippies, unless you mean new labour types who might have been years ago, but now have their trust funds etc etc.