British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Where should we move? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/where-should-we-move-596461/)

StarlaLorien Mar 9th 2009 7:16 pm

Where should we move?

Hi everyone,

I am American and my husband is from Scotland. We've been married and living together stateside for three years. We're currently in Colorado but I graduate from college in May and we want to move somewhere else in America. We only have family ties to ND/MN and don't want to move there :thumbdown:

What parts of America are well suited for people that both really miss the UK but can't afford to move back and who want to be able to visit the UK often for least expense?

Colorado is too empty. We don't like that you have to drive 8 hours in any direction to get another major city! So, we are thinking the east coast (as it may be cheaper to fly back to the UK to visit from there) but are really unfamiliar with it.

Any thoughts or advice is appreciated! Thanks :)

penguinsix Mar 9th 2009 8:10 pm

Re: Where should we move?

The East Coast will offer more options to get home, and usually at better prices. NY has the most flights (google the term NY-LON sometime). But it is NY and not exactly the land of starter houses. Washington DC has a pretty large expat community from all over the world (he'll find folks to watch rugby with or a pub full of Rangers or Celtic fans if he wants). Boston is also pretty connected.

But all of them have some negatives too, mainly cost.

Have you made a list of a) what specific things you are looking for and b) how much you can afford?

I'd also recommend http://www.city-data.com/forum for more specifics on certain places.

StarlaLorien Mar 9th 2009 9:35 pm

Thanks!

I have a short mental list of the things we are looking for:

1- Decent job prospects (not too picky at this point,considering the economy-he has business/office experience and I will have a degree in politics)
2- Large expat community (British or otherwise)
3- Close to or in a metropolitan area
4- Airports near with plenty of UK flights
5- Not overly expensive
6- Good place for children (one day)

I know, I know, it sounds kind of impossible....3 and 5 cancel eachother out :o but I'm optimistic!

I will go check out that link now....

Bob Mar 9th 2009 10:00 pm

Where ever you can get a job with decent medical would be my first concern.

Anyway...yeah, Mass/NH/CT might not be bad, some decent and regular flights to the UK out of Logan.

Shit weather though and not cheap to live in Mass unless you go western really, but house prices have tanked that they are now affordable for those with jobs but unemployment here is pretty massive. It's all relative, cheaper than housing in blighty that's for sure.

zargof Mar 9th 2009 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by StarlaLorien (Post 7361364)
Thanks!

I have a short mental list of the things we are looking for:

1- Decent job prospects (not too picky at this point,considering the economy-he has business/office experience and I will have a degree in politics)
2- Large expat community (British or otherwise)
3- Close to or in a metropolitan area
4- Airports near with plenty of UK flights
5- Not overly expensive
6- Good place for children (one day)

I know, I know, it sounds kind of impossible....3 and 5 cancel eachother out :o but I'm optimistic!

I will go check out that link now....

You might want to look at Atlanta, it's pretty cheap for a big city and there are plenty of flights to LHR and BHX, not sure about elsewhere though. But you might find #2 and #6 lacking.

USAGypsies Mar 9th 2009 11:31 pm

Just wrote a massive reply and it just went! *($7@39$&(:curse:

short version.... If you're okay with the cold winters, move to the burbs of Boston, MA. If you can't hack those kind of winters (like us wimps who prefer a bikini to a balaclava), then the burbs in the metroplex area of Dallas, TX.

Bob Mar 9th 2009 11:39 pm

Originally Posted by USAGypsies (Post 7361704)
Just wrote a massive reply and it just went! *($7@39$&(:curse:

short version.... If you're okay with the cold winters, move to the burbs of Boston, MA. If you can't hack those kind of winters (like us wimps who prefer a bikini to a balaclava), then the burbs in the metroplex area of Dallas, TX.

It's been a really warm winter this year... :p

starky Mar 10th 2009 1:03 am

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 7361726)
It's been a really warm winter this year... :p

Warm? Don't tell me they can get worse than this one! I have to move somewhere warm before next winter! I fell like I am living in the north pole. This is my first boston winter though so I am sure I will get use to it :-)

penguinsix Mar 10th 2009 1:32 am

The DC / Northern Virginia hits nearly all of your points, with the exception of the big one--cost. It's very expensive out here, especially close into the city proper (where the action is). Still, it's quite international and has a rather steady job base with the federal government as the main anchor. You might take a gander at the Washingtonpost.com classified ads for jobs (believe it or not, it's actually a VERY good job site for Washington jobs--highly recommend). It will give you an idea of what types of positions you can find out here. Then head over to realtor.com to get an idea of how far your few $$s will actually go when it comes to housing.

Good luck.

SagenOnion Mar 10th 2009 1:42 am

Originally Posted by starky (Post 7361967)
Warm? Don't tell me they can get worse than this one! I have to move somewhere warm before next winter! I fell like I am living in the north pole. This is my first boston winter though so I am sure I will get use to it :-)

Warm to the locals.

I moved after 20 years in Southern California, where a temperature of 60F has half the population suffering from hypothermia, to Maine in 2003. The following winter was the coldest in a century and you only have to check the weather channel to see a record low of -49F on our first new years day over here. :eek:
This winter was relatively warm although it was certainly snowier than usual and I am sick to death of it right now. Mud is next then black fly season, mossie season, thunderstorms and the gradual descent into next winter :thumbsup:

Gotta love it really,.

Bob Mar 10th 2009 2:02 am

You'll get used to it...but it really has been a warm winter and there really hasn't been that much snow.

tonrob Mar 10th 2009 2:04 am

Warm? Don't tell me they can get worse than this one!

We were just trying to break you in gently! :rofl:

SagenOnion Mar 10th 2009 2:12 am

Originally Posted by tonrob (Post 7362093)

Breaking the ice, as they say:D

starky Mar 10th 2009 3:44 am

Originally Posted by tonrob (Post 7362093)

Even on the really cold days it was mostly sunny, days like today have been very few,gray and damp and cold. I just stay and work from home during the snow so I am lucky that I can do that. At least there will be a good summer to look forward to, hopefully.

mellybrown Mar 10th 2009 3:56 am

Originally Posted by zargof (Post 7361608)
You might want to look at Atlanta, it's pretty cheap for a big city and there are plenty of flights to LHR and BHX, not sure about elsewhere though. But you might find #2 and #6 lacking.

Ive met quite a lot of brits in Atlanta - I guess it depends on what you are exactly looking for in a brit expat community....

and the temp hit 86 today :thumbsup:

StarlaLorien Mar 10th 2009 4:31 am

Originally Posted by penguinsix (Post 7362032)
The DC / Northern Virginia hits nearly all of your points, with the exception of the big one--cost. It's very expensive out here, especially close into the city proper (where the action is). Still, it's quite international and has a rather steady job base with the federal government as the main anchor. You might take a gander at the Washingtonpost.com classified ads for jobs (believe it or not, it's actually a VERY good job site for Washington jobs--highly recommend). It will give you an idea of what types of positions you can find out here. Then head over to realtor.com to get an idea of how far your few $$s will actually go when it comes to housing.

Good luck.

Thanks everyone!

DC does sound pretty good so far. And alot of Brits in Boston, it seems! Are people there as rude as their reputation? For some reason whenever I mention moving to New England, people say "Ugh, they're so unfriendly!"

scrubbedexpat099 Mar 10th 2009 4:45 am

Originally Posted by StarlaLorien (Post 7362313)
Thanks everyone!

DC does sound pretty good so far. And alot of Brits in Boston, it seems! Are people there as rude as their reputation? For some reason whenever I mention moving to New England, people say "Ugh, they're so unfriendly!"

Boulder sounds like it would meet your requirements.

StarlaLorien Mar 10th 2009 5:26 am

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 7362338)
Boulder sounds like it would meet your requirements.

Really? :D That happens to be where we live now.

We do like it here...and love Boulder itself to bits...but I graduate in May and get the feeling we'd be fish out of water no longer being students.

Plus, Boulder is like an island...its wonderful, but there's not much else in an 800 mile radius. I miss PEOPLE!

YankeemovingAbroad Mar 10th 2009 5:34 am

Originally Posted by StarlaLorien (Post 7360880)
Hi everyone,

I am American and my husband is from Scotland. We've been married and living together stateside for three years. We're currently in Colorado but I graduate from college in May and we want to move somewhere else in America. We only have family ties to ND/MN and don't want to move there :thumbdown:

What parts of America are well suited for people that both really miss the UK but can't afford to move back and who want to be able to visit the UK often for least expense?

Colorado is too empty. We don't like that you have to drive 8 hours in any direction to get another major city! So, we are thinking the east coast (as it may be cheaper to fly back to the UK to visit from there) but are really unfamiliar with it.

Any thoughts or advice is appreciated! Thanks :)

Spain!! Better weather than the north east usa and very close to the UK. Problem solved!!

scrubbedexpat099 Mar 10th 2009 5:45 am

Look south, you have Denver!

DIA has direct flights to London. And there are plenty of expats in Boulder and the surrounding area. More so than in many areas on the East Coast I have been to.

I thought it was probably one of the easier areas to move to. Especially bearing in mind some of the threads I have read on this site.

tonrob Mar 10th 2009 10:51 am

Originally Posted by starky (Post 7362228)
Even on the really cold days it was mostly sunny, days like today have been very few,gray and damp and cold. I just stay and work from home during the snow so I am lucky that I can do that. At least there will be a good summer to look forward to, hopefully.

And I've found that's usually the case (in the 4 years I've been in MA). Wall to wall sunny skies seem to be the norm most days year round - it's just the temperature fluctuates a bit! Soon enough we'll be sweating our tits off in 100+ degree heat and oppressive humidity, longing for those days we had snow. And so the cycle continues....;)

another bloody yank Mar 10th 2009 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by StarlaLorien (Post 7362394)
Really? :D That happens to be where we live now.

We do like it here...and love Boulder itself to bits...but I graduate in May and get the feeling we'd be fish out of water no longer being students.

Plus, Boulder is like an island...its wonderful, but there's not much else in an 800 mile radius. I miss PEOPLE!

I've heard Boulder referred to as "14 Square Miles Surrounded By Reality"... My Wife spent a summer there working in a theatre, a Shakespeare festival or something. She said it smelled like Hippies.

zargof Mar 10th 2009 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by another bloody yank (Post 7363340)
I've heard Boulder referred to as "14 Square Miles Surrounded By Reality"... My Wife spent a summer there working in a theatre, a Shakespeare festival or something. She said it smelled like Hippies.

Well the full name is actually "The People's Republic of Boulder". I'm not sure if it's the thin air, but the people around there are a little different.

Rete Mar 10th 2009 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by penguinsix (Post 7362032)

Good luck.

Actually working in DC is perfect for living in the outter fringes of northern virginia. I have a nephew and his family who live in Anadale, VA and they are both DC Attorneys. They purchased a town house two years ago and the bottom has dropped out of the housing market and it is duplicate townhouses in their complex are going to $100,000 to $125,000 less than what they paid for theirs 2 years ago. Reston, VA has may apartment complexes that are inexpensive to live in and some that are even have rents based on your income which is a good way to go. Believe me they are not slums or in slum areas either.

caleyjag Mar 10th 2009 3:38 pm

Seattle has a functional British ex-pat community, with a small Scottish presence. It is however complimented by proximity to Victoria and Vancouver, which have enormous British elements (especially Victoria).

San Francisco had a pretty decent UK ex-pat scene when I lived there.

Finally, I found a cracking Scottish boozer in St Louis last time I was there. It didn't have too many Scots in it mind, but it was well done.

Bob Mar 10th 2009 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by StarlaLorien (Post 7362313)

New England is a large collection of states, and mostly pretty friendly, it's just Mass that has the sour bunch, especially in Boston, but then you'd get to be a miserable git too if you had to deal with the driving in Boston on a daily basis :D

StarlaLorien Mar 11th 2009 1:19 am

Thanks again! Ah, such decisions. I've been researching the places that have been mentioned, and the cost of living is extortionate! I was expecting expensive, but yikes. Do the wages compensate for this? And I thought Boulder was expensive.....

md95065 Mar 11th 2009 6:04 am

Originally Posted by caleyjag (Post 7363925)
Seattle has a functional British ex-pat community, with a small Scottish presence. It is however complimented by proximity to Victoria and Vancouver, which have enormous British elements (especially Victoria).

San Francisco had a pretty decent UK ex-pat scene when I lived there.

Finally, I found a cracking Scottish boozer in St Louis last time I was there. It didn't have too many Scots in it mind, but it was well done.

Also worth mentioning that there are plenty of direct flights to the UK from the major west coast cities and, while the flight time is a couple of hours longer, the cost typically isn't much more than it is from the east coast.

anabella Mar 11th 2009 6:17 am

Originally Posted by another bloody yank (Post 7363340)

:lol:
Yes, there are a lot of hippies in Boulder, they are not particularly smelly though...well, unless the pot smell counts...

scrubbedexpat099 Mar 11th 2009 7:22 am

Originally Posted by anabella (Post 7366279)
:lol:
Yes, there are a lot of hippies in Boulder, they are not particularly smelly though...well, unless the pot smell counts...

I woud not say hippies, unless you mean new labour types who might have been years ago, but now have their trust funds etc etc.

tonrob Mar 11th 2009 11:07 am

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 7364355)
New England is a large collection of states, and mostly pretty friendly, it's just Mass that has the sour bunch, especially in Boston, but then you'd get to be a miserable git too if you had to deal with the driving in Boston on a daily basis :D

Never found Boston that unfriendly (and I go there a fair bit). What it lacks is some of that American charm that certain Brits characterize as being somewhat plastic anyway. It feels more like a British city in that respect. I have to say that I've never noticed a pervading unfriendliness at all in the 4 years I've lived in MA.

Anyway, I'm just a stereotypical miserable British ****er so I probably fit right in! :lol:

penguinsix Mar 11th 2009 11:45 am

Originally Posted by StarlaLorien (Post 7365719)
Thanks again! Ah, such decisions. I've been researching the places that have been mentioned, and the cost of living is extortionate! I was expecting expensive, but yikes. Do the wages compensate for this? And I thought Boulder was expensive.....

In DC for example, to live in the safe area with good schools and nightlife and close in you are competing against a strong 'professional' class with two incomes. In Arlington VA for example, over 35% hold graduate degrees (not just bachelor degrees). I think some statistic showed that something like 1 out of 7 households in the DC area will be hit by Obama's tax the rich plan (with rich being > $250k).

So, yes, the salaries do compensate for some of the expenses, but not necessarily at the 'entry level' of ones career. Many folks out here did their first $35,000 a year type jobs while eating ramen noodles and sharing a house with their mates from college.

There are still cheap areas, and with the housing crash those areas are getting closer to the city, but it can be quite a daunting thing for folks moving here from other parts of the US where the cost of living is a bit more sane.

caleyjag Mar 11th 2009 5:13 pm

San Francisco is very expensive to live in. Seattle is quite expensive.

HOWEVER....

These two cities are both utterly fantastic. They offer a depth of character and cosmopolitan lifestyle that is highly unusual for American cities. Additionally, both offer outstanding outdoor lifestyles, particularly Seattle.

In fact, I think Seattle is one of the finest cities on Earth once you consider all the factors. Good career opportunities, excellent skiing and hiking, proximity to British Columbia and Vancouver (also excellent), and and astonishing array of quality boozers.

Seattle is brilliant, and it doesn't rain that much really. Especially compared to the UK.

I am leaving Seattle for good next week. I'm not happy about that :(

Go for Seattle!

another bloody yank Mar 11th 2009 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by caleyjag (Post 7368581)
San Francisco is very expensive to live in. Seattle is quite expensive.

HOWEVER....

These two cities are both utterly fantastic. They offer a depth of character and cosmopolitan lifestyle that is highly unusual for American cities. Additionally, both offer outstanding outdoor lifestyles, particularly Seattle.

In fact, I think Seattle is one of the finest cities on Earth once you consider all the factors. Good career opportunities, excellent skiing and hiking, proximity to British Columbia and Vancouver (also excellent), and and astonishing array of quality boozers.

Seattle is brilliant, and it doesn't rain that much really. Especially compared to the UK.

I am leaving Seattle for good next week. I'm not happy about that :(

Go for Seattle!

Maybe you'll like the place you're moving to.

caleyjag Mar 11th 2009 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by another bloody yank (Post 7368615)
Maybe you'll like the place you're moving to.

Well, it's either Holland (Breda) or California (Malibu), so you might be right :lol:

Anyway, two thumbs up for SF and Seattle. I like Boston for similar reasons.

another bloody yank Mar 11th 2009 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by caleyjag (Post 7368628)
Well, it's either Holland (Breda) or California (Malibu), so you might be right :lol:

Anyway, two thumbs up for SF and Seattle. I like Boston for similar reasons.

It's a week away, you're still not sure whether you're going to Cali or Holland? Nothing like giving you a chance to plan ahead eh?:huh:

caleyjag Mar 11th 2009 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by another bloody yank (Post 7368647)
It's a week away, you're still not sure whether you're going to Cali or Holland? Nothing like giving you a chance to plan ahead eh?:huh:

Nothing like waiting for the authorities to decide on your visa :lol:

I'm going home to Scotland to relax while they make their mind up!

Bob Mar 11th 2009 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by StarlaLorien (Post 7365719)

In Boston? No.

Bob Mar 11th 2009 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by tonrob (Post 7367072)
Never found Boston that unfriendly (and I go there a fair bit). What it lacks is some of that American charm that certain Brits characterize as being somewhat plastic anyway. It feels more like a British city in that respect. I have to say that I've never noticed a pervading unfriendliness at all in the 4 years I've lived in MA.

Anyway, I'm just a stereotypical miserable British ****er so I probably fit right in! :lol:

Just comparing to my experiences of other parts of NE...in comparison, pretty sour bunch, not everyone, but far more than usual, and the fun ones tend to be imports :D

Mallory Mar 11th 2009 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by caleyjag (Post 7368654)
Nothing like waiting for the authorities to decide on your visa :lol:

I'm going home to Scotland to relax while they make their mind up!

But what about the steak and egg breakfasts that you were being provided? Won't you miss it? :ohmy: