Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Where do you say you are from!

Wikiposts

Where do you say you are from!

Old Sep 26th 2008, 9:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where do you say you are from!

Originally Posted by SagenOnion
..... IMO, its no longer Great Britain.

)
WRONG! It IS Great Britain and it will always remain Great Britain (Grande Bretagne) as long as it physically exists as an island separate from, and as distinct from the smaller entity of Brittany (Bretagne) just across the narrow English Channel (La Manche).

The "Great" in Great Britain has absolutely, positively nothing whatsoever to do with military, industrail or economic power or political status whatsoever. It has existed down the ages simply as a reference to what the Romans called Britannia and its size in relation to the much smaller region of what is now Brittany, France (which the French call Bretagne).

Great Briain (Grande Bretagne) as opposed to the much smaller Bretagne (Brittany).

You are, of course, perfectly at liberty to have your own opinion on the "Great" in terms of the United Kingdom's current political, military, social and, even more relevant in view of the present global situation, economic status. That is your right. As far as the latter issue is concerned, Great Britain - sorry, I mean Britain - can hardly be described as being in more of a mess of utter $hite and disarray than is the so called self styled "greatest powerbase the world has ever seen in the history of mankind "- the United States of America ...... can it? After all, that is where all the present global financial troubles all started in the first place is it not, clearly demonstrating the chronic weaknesses in the extremes of a wholesale capitalistic system gone mad - all due to the excesses of greed, to put it in basic terms.

As I type this I can hear a BBC reporter on BBC Radio 4 say that the days of the American Empire are now definitely numbered and that the ascendant Chinese Empire is merely waiting in the wings as it grows, just waiting to step in and ultimately take over. Who with any sense can argue with that?

Last edited by Lothianlad; Sep 26th 2008 at 9:25 am.
Old Sep 26th 2008, 10:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by linakemp
Someone once told me they would love to go to London as they have always wanted to see the Eiffal tower!!!
This is the gospel truth - an American woman tourist was looking out over the city of Edinburgh from the ramparts of the Castle along with a grouo of other Americans and she then asked the guide where the Eiffel Tower was as she couldn't see it.
Old Sep 26th 2008, 10:28 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

I say Milwaukie, because that's where I came from to get to wherever I'm being asked.

The next question is "Where is your accent from?" I usually say that came from England
Old Sep 26th 2008, 11:29 am
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hobbes79
My wife's from Maine, and Brits are just as bad. At best, people know where Boston is, and she says "well, about a 5 hour drive North of that". At worst, people only know where NY is, so she has to explain she's about a 10 hour drive North of that, which in the mind of an English person is basically saying it's the same as the drive from Lands End to John O'Groats!
At least they know Maine is in the US. A lot of Americans think Maine is part of Canada...

I never know quite what to answer when people ask me where I'm from. If I say the UK they say 'Oh I can tell that, but where in the UK?' If I say Manchester they say 'But which country?' So I usually tell them I'm from about a mile up the road...
Old Sep 26th 2008, 11:53 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
WRONG! It IS Great Britain and it will always remain Great Britain (Grande Bretagne) as long as it physically exists as an island separate from, and as distinct from the smaller entity of Brittany (Bretagne) just across the narrow English Channel (La Manche).

The "Great" in Great Britain has absolutely, positively nothing whatsoever to do with military, industrail or economic power or political status whatsoever. It has existed down the ages simply as a reference to what the Romans called Britannia and its size in relation to the much smaller region of what is now Brittany, France (which the French call Bretagne).

Great Briain (Grande Bretagne) as opposed to the much smaller Bretagne (Brittany).

You are, of course, perfectly at liberty to have your own opinion on the "Great" in terms of the United Kingdom's current political, military, social and, even more relevant in view of the present global situation, economic status. That is your right. As far as the latter issue is concerned, Great Britain - sorry, I mean Britain - can hardly be described as being in more of a mess of utter $hite and disarray than is the so called self styled "greatest powerbase the world has ever seen in the history of mankind "- the United States of America ...... can it? After all, that is where all the present global financial troubles all started in the first place is it not, clearly demonstrating the chronic weaknesses in the extremes of a wholesale capitalistic system gone mad - all due to the excesses of greed, to put it in basic terms.

As I type this I can hear a BBC reporter on BBC Radio 4 say that the days of the American Empire are now definitely numbered and that the ascendant Chinese Empire is merely waiting in the wings as it grows, just waiting to step in and ultimately take over. Who with any sense can argue with that?

good post and one i wont argue with

and yes i do have a lot of sense ~ thought i'd just get that in
Old Sep 26th 2008, 12:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

This is the gospel truth - an American woman tourist was looking out over the city of Edinburgh from the ramparts of the Castle along with a grouo of other Americans and she then asked the guide where the Eiffel Tower was as she couldn't see it.
I trust that the guide pointed her in the direction of the Scott Monument in Princes Street Gardens ...
Old Sep 26th 2008, 12:09 pm
Dis-Member

SagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond repute

I stand corrected.

...and by a bloody Scotsman at that
Old Sep 26th 2008, 12:18 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SagenOnion

...and by a bloody Scotsman at that
Old Sep 26th 2008, 12:27 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

I say I'm from 'Just up the road' or 'A few blocks from here'

Most people leave it at that. If any one say's "ooo you're English" I say, 'yes I am'.

Then most of the people who say that, tend to say 'how cool' and walk away...

Anyone one who wants to stand and talk gets the whole,,, Fourth largest City in the UK London is over rated get on the motorway, head up north or west to wales and somerset etc etc.
Old Sep 26th 2008, 12:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
good post and one i wont argue with

and yes i do have a lot of sense ~ thought i'd just get that in
Boy I hope they're wrong. If I hear of one more recalled food product that's killing animals or people from that country I'll scream.
Old Sep 26th 2008, 12:58 pm
Are we there yet?

Trixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond repute

I say generally say the UK or England. To which they reply, Oh I knew you had an accent, but I thought you were Australian, I can't tell the difference between English or Australian or South African Accents, they all sound alike.

Really? I respond, Yawn and get back to whatever I was doing before they annoyed me.....
Old Sep 26th 2008, 4:37 pm

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
If someone asks where I am from as opposed to where I was born or where I grew up I usually just say "California" since that is where I am "from". I have spent almost half my life here and certainly more time here than in any other one place.
Americans tend to do that too, they tell you what state they moved from, which often isn't were they were born. I guess it makes sense, seeing that they tend to move around a lot...

I always say that I'm from Spain originally but lived in England for many years...
Old Sep 26th 2008, 7:46 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Trixie_b
I say generally say the UK or England. To which they reply, Oh I knew you had an accent, but I thought you were Australian, I can't tell the difference between English or Australian or South African Accents, they all sound alike.

Really? I respond, Yawn and get back to whatever I was doing before they annoyed me.....
LOL thats me as well to a tee ie what ever boring.
Old Sep 26th 2008, 8:45 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake
Boy I hope they're wrong. If I hear of one more recalled food product that's killing animals or people from that country I'll scream.
Sadly, I fear that there may be some validity to it.

You know, I just realised - I was more upset about the cat food than about the milk!
Old Sep 27th 2008, 12:41 am
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

I say England. On our son's forms for his registration when he was born my wife put United Kingdom, 2 weeks out of the hospital and we were waiting on the forms to apply for his birth certificate and they arrive and under father's place of birth it said United Arab Emirates. we rang them up thinking it was just a typo and they had no idea where the United Kingdom was so just chose the nearest thing so we told them England instead and that seemed to fix it. I've told the wife to say England from now on too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.