Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Where do we go with young family?

Where do we go with young family?

Old Jul 7th 2011, 10:12 am
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
chez33's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 81
chez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Where do we go with young family?

Hi Everyone

I need to pick your brains! I have done a search and read through a lot but am still confused!

My husband came home yesterday and said 'how d'you fancy moving to America' he works for a very large American Bank so we could move almost anywhere in the states, he did say Florida but after about 3 mins research I ruled that out! (weather too extreme).

If I tell you about us and what we're after maybe you could come up with a few suggestions so I can research some more.

I'm 40 and my husband is 37 we have 2 children aged 3 and 5, we also have 2 dogs, 2 cats, and a horse (I know, that is a problem and one I daren't begin to look into yet but I'm guessing we will only take the dogs )
We are very young still, still like house music etc and most of our friends are younger than us (I still watch Hollyoaks!)
It is really important that we live somewhere 'horsey', rural, and beautiful, we would like to rent a property with land and be not too far from a good town with good shopping.
Weather wise...well that's probably the one resounding reason to leave the UK so, defo no dodgy summers! and no really bad winters but would be nice to have seasons just not extreme. No hurricanes or earthquakes a must, other than freak ones!!
Also very important that there are good transport and data links etc.
A few really nice restaurants and cafe's would be good too....oh and the Sea would be a bonus, at least with an hour's drive if possible.
I have North Carolina in mind as Hubby can work in Charlotte (he only needs to go in once maybe twice a week as will be working from home) but we are really open minded.
Lots of expats would be good and really low crime rate.

Thanks in advance for your help
chez33 is offline  
Old Jul 7th 2011, 11:47 am
  #2  
Unmitigated Gall
 
another bloody yank's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: it's still too dark to tell
Posts: 16,162
another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where do we go with young family?

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/11893
another bloody yank is offline  
Old Jul 7th 2011, 11:51 am
  #3  
Queen of my house
 
tamms_1965's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 5,043
tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where do we go with young family?

Originally Posted by another bloody yank View Post
And it's a sh*thole....I grew up a few miles inland from there.
tamms_1965 is offline  
Old Jul 7th 2011, 12:16 pm
  #4  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
chez33's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 81
chez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Where do we go with young family?

Originally Posted by another bloody yank View Post
Thanks....I think. Interesting website
chez33 is offline  
Old Jul 7th 2011, 12:19 pm
  #5  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
chez33's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 81
chez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Where do we go with young family?

Originally Posted by chez33 View Post
Hi Everyone

I need to pick your brains! I have done a search and read through a lot but am still confused!

My husband came home yesterday and said 'how d'you fancy moving to America' he works for a very large American Bank so we could move almost anywhere in the states, he did say Florida but after about 3 mins research I ruled that out! (weather too extreme).

If I tell you about us and what we're after maybe you could come up with a few suggestions so I can research some more.

I'm 40 and my husband is 37 we have 2 children aged 3 and 5, we also have 2 dogs, 2 cats, and a horse (I know, that is a problem and one I daren't begin to look into yet but I'm guessing we will only take the dogs )
We are very young still, still like house music etc and most of our friends are younger than us (I still watch Hollyoaks!)
It is really important that we live somewhere 'horsey', rural, and beautiful, we would like to rent a property with land and be not too far from a good town with good shopping.
Weather wise...well that's probably the one resounding reason to leave the UK so, defo no dodgy summers! and no really bad winters but would be nice to have seasons just not extreme. No hurricanes or earthquakes a must, other than freak ones!!
Also very important that there are good transport and data links etc.
A few really nice restaurants and cafe's would be good too....oh and the Sea would be a bonus, at least with an hour's drive if possible.
I have North Carolina in mind as Hubby can work in Charlotte (he only needs to go in once maybe twice a week as will be working from home) but we are really open minded.
Lots of expats would be good and really low crime rate.

Thanks in advance for your help
Well my husband just called to say he would probably have to be nearish Charlotte somewhere (at least commutable by a couple of hours) narrows it down a bit!! so any recommendations......
chez33 is offline  
Old Jul 7th 2011, 1:24 pm
  #6  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: North Charleston, SC
Posts: 194
Married2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where do we go with young family?

Well, you're still in the area for hurricanes and the east coast does have fault lines (for earth quakes), but best of luck to you and your family wherever you end up!!
Married2abrit is offline  
Old Jul 7th 2011, 1:48 pm
  #7  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
chez33's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 81
chez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Where do we go with young family?

Originally Posted by Married2abrit View Post
Well, you're still in the area for hurricanes and the east coast does have fault lines (for earth quakes), but best of luck to you and your family wherever you end up!!
Thank you!
chez33 is offline  
Old Jul 7th 2011, 2:09 pm
  #8  
Concierge
 
Rete's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 44,021
Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where do we go with young family?

If he is going to be working in Charlotte, NC you have the option of living in either South Carolina since Charlotte is almost on the border between the two states or in North Carolina itself. Go to city-data.com and check out the stats for that area. There are several BE members who live in that area and appear quite happy.

The area does have seasonal changes and winters that don't see much if any snow but does experience an occasion icy day but the summers are very hot and very humid. You might want to look toward living a bit to the west in the foothills of the mountains where the temps are cooler. I know there is a thermal area close by where the weather is nearly perfect year round. If I remember correctly it is in and around Chimney Rock

Use the web to find the best place for you to live in regards to schools, sophiscated and country living, weather, etc.
Rete is offline  
Old Jul 7th 2011, 3:17 pm
  #9  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
chez33's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 81
chez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of light
Wink Re: Where do we go with young family?

Originally Posted by Rete View Post
If he is going to be working in Charlotte, NC you have the option of living in either South Carolina since Charlotte is almost on the border between the two states or in North Carolina itself. Go to city-data.com and check out the stats for that area. There are several BE members who live in that area and appear quite happy.

The area does have seasonal changes and winters that don't see much if any snow but does experience an occasion icy day but the summers are very hot and very humid. You might want to look toward living a bit to the west in the foothills of the mountains where the temps are cooler. I know there is a thermal area close by where the weather is nearly perfect year round. If I remember correctly it is in and around Chimney Rock

Use the web to find the best place for you to live in regards to schools, sophiscated and country living, weather, etc.
Thank you that's great, I was concerned it would be a little hot but there's worse things to have to worry about!
chez33 is offline  
Old Jul 7th 2011, 4:40 pm
  #10  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Charlotte,NC
Posts: 1,714
Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where do we go with young family?

Hi, I live in Lake Wylie, SC I would hardly call it sophisticated but we are only 20 miles from Charlotte and near enough to facilities. No transport though! One restaurant on the Lake (T-Bones) apart from that we have to go in to NC. You get used to driving everywhere. We have an acre of land and live by the lake, very rural and it is beautiful. Hot summers and reasonably mild winters.
There are I believe quite a few expats - I run the other way when I hear the Brit accent in the grocery store, apart from my lovely friend Sue. I love my American friends!
I visited Greenville, SC once and thought it was cool.
Orangepants is offline  
Old Jul 7th 2011, 5:46 pm
  #11  
Sue
BE Co-Founder
 
Sue's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2000
Location: Florida
Posts: 25,928
Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where do we go with young family?

Originally Posted by Orangepants View Post
I run the other way when I hear the Brit accent in the grocery store, apart from my lovely friend Sue.
So glad you said that or you would have been in BIG trouble
Sue is offline  
Old Jul 7th 2011, 5:50 pm
  #12  
Sue
BE Co-Founder
 
Sue's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2000
Location: Florida
Posts: 25,928
Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where do we go with young family?

Hi chez33

If you are looking for horsey areas around Charlotte look in and around Waxhaw which is horse country around these parts. It's also close enough to Charlotte to commute.

There are also quite a few barns around the Fort Mill/York County area and Gastonia. Again both within commuting distance to Charlotte.

I think there are also some nice places for land (and so owning horses) in the Lake Wylie area where Op lives.
Sue is offline  
Old Jul 7th 2011, 6:05 pm
  #13  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 47
dnolan1337 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Where do we go with young family?

You can get the horse shipped in if you can get it a passport, there's a few good outfits, it costs a decent amount, but if you are bonded to the animal, why not?

You would probably have to quarantine the horse (cant board it) for a month or two, but its no big deal.

http://www.flyhfr.com/
http://www.equiairshipping.com/
dnolan1337 is offline  
Old Jul 7th 2011, 7:20 pm
  #14  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
chez33's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 81
chez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Where do we go with young family?

Originally Posted by dnolan1337 View Post
You can get the horse shipped in if you can get it a passport, there's a few good outfits, it costs a decent amount, but if you are bonded to the animal, why not?

You would probably have to quarantine the horse (cant board it) for a month or two, but its no big deal.

http://www.flyhfr.com/
http://www.equiairshipping.com/
Thank you, but no can do, would absolutely love to but have been told it will be between 6 - 10k, the cats and dogs will be 2k, just don't have the cash. We probably will rent our house out so won't have a massive lump sum. hubby's company will more than likely give us a re-location package but pretty sure they won't cough up the extra for the horse! Also she's a rescue anyway so don't think I would be allowed to take her as she is on permanent loan to me, this makes it all the more sad as I promised her a home for life

I guess life is all about sacrifices
chez33 is offline  
Old Jul 7th 2011, 7:21 pm
  #15  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
chez33's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 81
chez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Where do we go with young family?

Originally Posted by Sue View Post
Hi chez33

If you are looking for horsey areas around Charlotte look in and around Waxhaw which is horse country around these parts. It's also close enough to Charlotte to commute.

There are also quite a few barns around the Fort Mill/York County area and Gastonia. Again both within commuting distance to Charlotte.

I think there are also some nice places for land (and so owning horses) in the Lake Wylie area where Op lives.
Wow that's great, thank you, just what I needed, and gives me a place to start
chez33 is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.