British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Where do we go with young family? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/where-do-we-go-young-family-723956/)

chez33 Jul 7th 2011 10:12 am

Where do we go with young family?

Hi Everyone

I need to pick your brains! I have done a search and read through a lot but am still confused!

My husband came home yesterday and said 'how d'you fancy moving to America' he works for a very large American Bank so we could move almost anywhere in the states, he did say Florida but after about 3 mins research I ruled that out! (weather too extreme).

If I tell you about us and what we're after maybe you could come up with a few suggestions so I can research some more.

I'm 40 and my husband is 37 we have 2 children aged 3 and 5, we also have 2 dogs, 2 cats, and a horse (I know, that is a problem and one I daren't begin to look into yet but I'm guessing we will only take the dogs :()
We are very young still, still like house music etc and most of our friends are younger than us (I still watch Hollyoaks!)
It is really important that we live somewhere 'horsey', rural, and beautiful, we would like to rent a property with land and be not too far from a good town with good shopping.
Weather wise...well that's probably the one resounding reason to leave the UK so, defo no dodgy summers! and no really bad winters but would be nice to have seasons just not extreme. No hurricanes or earthquakes a must, other than freak ones!!
Also very important that there are good transport and data links etc.
A few really nice restaurants and cafe's would be good too....oh and the Sea would be a bonus, at least with an hour's drive if possible.
I have North Carolina in mind as Hubby can work in Charlotte (he only needs to go in once maybe twice a week as will be working from home) but we are really open minded.
Lots of expats would be good and really low crime rate.

Thanks in advance for your help :thumbsup:

another bloody yank Jul 7th 2011 11:47 am

Re: Where do we go with young family?

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/11893

tamms_1965 Jul 7th 2011 11:51 am

Originally Posted by another bloody yank (Post 9480892)

And it's a sh*thole....I grew up a few miles inland from there.

chez33 Jul 7th 2011 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by another bloody yank (Post 9480892)

Thanks....I think. Interesting website :confused:

chez33 Jul 7th 2011 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by chez33 (Post 9480696)
Hi Everyone

I need to pick your brains! I have done a search and read through a lot but am still confused!

My husband came home yesterday and said 'how d'you fancy moving to America' he works for a very large American Bank so we could move almost anywhere in the states, he did say Florida but after about 3 mins research I ruled that out! (weather too extreme).

If I tell you about us and what we're after maybe you could come up with a few suggestions so I can research some more.

I'm 40 and my husband is 37 we have 2 children aged 3 and 5, we also have 2 dogs, 2 cats, and a horse (I know, that is a problem and one I daren't begin to look into yet but I'm guessing we will only take the dogs :()
We are very young still, still like house music etc and most of our friends are younger than us (I still watch Hollyoaks!)
It is really important that we live somewhere 'horsey', rural, and beautiful, we would like to rent a property with land and be not too far from a good town with good shopping.
Weather wise...well that's probably the one resounding reason to leave the UK so, defo no dodgy summers! and no really bad winters but would be nice to have seasons just not extreme. No hurricanes or earthquakes a must, other than freak ones!!
Also very important that there are good transport and data links etc.
A few really nice restaurants and cafe's would be good too....oh and the Sea would be a bonus, at least with an hour's drive if possible.
I have North Carolina in mind as Hubby can work in Charlotte (he only needs to go in once maybe twice a week as will be working from home) but we are really open minded.
Lots of expats would be good and really low crime rate.

Thanks in advance for your help :thumbsup:

Well my husband just called to say he would probably have to be nearish Charlotte somewhere (at least commutable by a couple of hours) narrows it down a bit!! so any recommendations......

Married2abrit Jul 7th 2011 1:24 pm

Well, you're still in the area for hurricanes and the east coast does have fault lines (for earth quakes), but best of luck to you and your family wherever you end up!!

chez33 Jul 7th 2011 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by Married2abrit (Post 9481067)
Well, you're still in the area for hurricanes and the east coast does have fault lines (for earth quakes), but best of luck to you and your family wherever you end up!!

Thank you!

Rete Jul 7th 2011 2:09 pm

If he is going to be working in Charlotte, NC you have the option of living in either South Carolina since Charlotte is almost on the border between the two states or in North Carolina itself. Go to city-data.com and check out the stats for that area. There are several BE members who live in that area and appear quite happy.

The area does have seasonal changes and winters that don't see much if any snow but does experience an occasion icy day but the summers are very hot and very humid. You might want to look toward living a bit to the west in the foothills of the mountains where the temps are cooler. I know there is a thermal area close by where the weather is nearly perfect year round. If I remember correctly it is in and around Chimney Rock

Use the web to find the best place for you to live in regards to schools, sophiscated and country living, weather, etc.

chez33 Jul 7th 2011 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 9481166)
If he is going to be working in Charlotte, NC you have the option of living in either South Carolina since Charlotte is almost on the border between the two states or in North Carolina itself. Go to city-data.com and check out the stats for that area. There are several BE members who live in that area and appear quite happy.

The area does have seasonal changes and winters that don't see much if any snow but does experience an occasion icy day but the summers are very hot and very humid. You might want to look toward living a bit to the west in the foothills of the mountains where the temps are cooler. I know there is a thermal area close by where the weather is nearly perfect year round. If I remember correctly it is in and around Chimney Rock

Use the web to find the best place for you to live in regards to schools, sophiscated and country living, weather, etc.

Thank you that's great, I was concerned it would be a little hot but there's worse things to have to worry about!

Orangepants Jul 7th 2011 4:40 pm

Hi, I live in Lake Wylie, SC I would hardly call it sophisticated but we are only 20 miles from Charlotte and near enough to facilities. No transport though! One restaurant on the Lake (T-Bones) apart from that we have to go in to NC. You get used to driving everywhere. We have an acre of land and live by the lake, very rural and it is beautiful. Hot summers and reasonably mild winters.
There are I believe quite a few expats - I run the other way when I hear the Brit accent in the grocery store, apart from my lovely friend Sue. I love my American friends!
I visited Greenville, SC once and thought it was cool. :thumbup:

Sue Jul 7th 2011 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by Orangepants (Post 9481472)
I run the other way when I hear the Brit accent in the grocery store, apart from my lovely friend Sue.

So glad you said that or you would have been in BIG trouble :D :D

Sue Jul 7th 2011 5:50 pm

Hi chez33

If you are looking for horsey areas around Charlotte look in and around Waxhaw which is horse country around these parts. It's also close enough to Charlotte to commute.

There are also quite a few barns around the Fort Mill/York County area and Gastonia. Again both within commuting distance to Charlotte.

I think there are also some nice places for land (and so owning horses) in the Lake Wylie area where Op lives.

dnolan1337 Jul 7th 2011 6:05 pm

You can get the horse shipped in if you can get it a passport, there's a few good outfits, it costs a decent amount, but if you are bonded to the animal, why not?

You would probably have to quarantine the horse (cant board it) for a month or two, but its no big deal.

http://www.flyhfr.com/
http://www.equiairshipping.com/

chez33 Jul 7th 2011 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by dnolan1337 (Post 9481641)
You can get the horse shipped in if you can get it a passport, there's a few good outfits, it costs a decent amount, but if you are bonded to the animal, why not?

You would probably have to quarantine the horse (cant board it) for a month or two, but its no big deal.

http://www.flyhfr.com/
http://www.equiairshipping.com/

Thank you, but no can do, would absolutely love to but have been told it will be between 6 - 10k, the cats and dogs will be 2k, just don't have the cash. We probably will rent our house out so won't have a massive lump sum. hubby's company will more than likely give us a re-location package but pretty sure they won't cough up the extra for the horse! Also she's a rescue anyway so don't think I would be allowed to take her as she is on permanent loan to me, this makes it all the more sad as I promised her a home for life :(

I guess life is all about sacrifices :blink:

chez33 Jul 7th 2011 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by Sue (Post 9481621)
Hi chez33

If you are looking for horsey areas around Charlotte look in and around Waxhaw which is horse country around these parts. It's also close enough to Charlotte to commute.

There are also quite a few barns around the Fort Mill/York County area and Gastonia. Again both within commuting distance to Charlotte.

I think there are also some nice places for land (and so owning horses) in the Lake Wylie area where Op lives.

Wow that's great, thank you, just what I needed, and gives me a place to start :thumbsup: