Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Where to buy TV, beds etc?

Where to buy TV, beds etc?

Old Sep 29th 2014, 11:17 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to buy TV, beds etc?

Originally Posted by Owen778
As I understand it, Amazon add sales tax when delivering to any address in which they have a depot, and that means most of them.
I thought that was only if the state required them to do so.

They don't for up in Maine and they only started it in MA recently when the state made it a requirement for large online retailers to collect.
Old Sep 29th 2014, 11:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

They don't for up in Maine and they only started it in MA recently when the state made it a requirement for large online retailers to collect.
You may be right. They certainly do it in Texas, and I thought I'd heard it was a general rule but I could be wrong.
Old Sep 29th 2014, 11:47 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

Seems to be negotiable.

Amazon gets ready to go at Ruskin warehouse | TBO.com, The Tampa Tribune and The Tampa Times
Old Sep 30th 2014, 11:47 am
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
They never seem to price match against online prices, or that to price match a retail store, the store has to be within x miles, usually meaning that they never end up bother. IME at least.
They have for me on several occasions. For my TV they looked it up on-line at the register and immediately gave me the Amazon price, saving me over $100.
Old Sep 30th 2014, 12:45 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
They have for me on several occasions. For my TV they looked it up on-line at the register and immediately gave me the Amazon price, saving me over $100.
That's good going!

For me, all the flyers for all the price match type of stores have the small print of not matching online prices and BB has always been on the edge of towns, so always more than a couple miles from competing stores
Old Sep 30th 2014, 1:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
That's good going!

For me, all the flyers for all the price match type of stores have the small print of not matching online prices and BB has always been on the edge of towns, so always more than a couple miles from competing stores
No, here is their price guarantee, straight from their website:

The Best Buy Low Price Guarantee is simple:
We won't be beat on price.
Best Buy matches the price of all local retail competitors and major online retailers, including Amazon.

I have no connection with them, except for being a satisfied customer!
Old Sep 30th 2014, 3:41 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
No, here is their price guarantee, straight from their website:

The Best Buy Low Price Guarantee is simple:
We won't be beat on price.
Best Buy matches the price of all local retail competitors and major online retailers, including Amazon.

I have no connection with them, except for being a satisfied customer!
Nice!

I've yet to have them price match anything though...no luck in Walmart either, only place that it worked was in Target.
Old Sep 30th 2014, 3:49 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Nice!

I've yet to have them price match anything though...no luck in Walmart either, only place that it worked was in Target.
Walmart now has an auto price match scheme. If you register, all your purchases are checked against local stores prices for 30 days after you make a purchase, and then they send you a gift card with the amount you could have saved shopping elsewhere. Mrs P gets a card each month for a few dollars, as many as $15, IIRC. It was (is being?) piloted locally (and in several other markets), so I don't know if it has gone nationwide yet.
Old Sep 30th 2014, 4:13 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Owen778
As I understand it, Amazon add sales tax when delivering to any address in which they have a depot, and that means most of them.
If the item comes from Amazon itself, they add the sales tax if delivered to an address in California. If it comes directly from a non-California merchant who markets via Amazon, no tax is added.
Old Sep 30th 2014, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

jtb87 is an unknown quantity at this point

When I moved here I actually got my tv in walmart. They had a big sale on and the TV I wanted ended up cheapest there. Sometimes they have deals that are specific to a certain store.
Newegg is also a good site for electronics. They are quite reasonable on there most of the time.
Old Sep 30th 2014, 4:29 pm
Forum Regular

andrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Walmart now has an auto price match scheme. If you register, all your purchases are checked against local stores prices for 30 days after you make a purchase, and then they send you a gift card with the amount you could have saved shopping elsewhere. Mrs P gets a card each month for a few dollars, as many as $15, IIRC. It was (is being?) piloted locally (and in several other markets), so I don't know if it has gone nationwide yet.
Sainsburys and Tesco have done that here for about a year, maybe 2.
Old Sep 30th 2014, 5:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andrewlohnes
Sainsburys and Tesco have done that here for about a year, maybe 2.
Not many of either in Podunk, USA, though.
Old Sep 30th 2014, 5:23 pm
Forum Regular

andrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guindalf
Not many of either in Podunk, USA, though.
I just meant that in the UK they have done that for a while
Old Sep 30th 2014, 5:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute

For sheets, blankets, towels, and kitchen utensils (pans, spatulas, knives etc) go to Home Goods, Marshalls or Ross Dress for Less.
Old Sep 30th 2014, 5:55 pm
Forum Regular

smarty156 has a reputation beyond reputesmarty156 has a reputation beyond reputesmarty156 has a reputation beyond reputesmarty156 has a reputation beyond reputesmarty156 has a reputation beyond reputesmarty156 has a reputation beyond reputesmarty156 has a reputation beyond reputesmarty156 has a reputation beyond reputesmarty156 has a reputation beyond reputesmarty156 has a reputation beyond reputesmarty156 has a reputation beyond repute

We will certainly be needing kitchen utensils. Thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.