British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Where to buy TV, beds etc? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/where-buy-tv-beds-etc-844091/)

smarty156 Sep 29th 2014 12:04 pm

Where to buy TV, beds etc?

When we arrive in New York (lower Westchester County) in November one of the first things I'll need to do to stop the kids driving us mad is buy a new TV. Where is the best place to buy one? I'll be joining CostCo and I see they sell them so is that a good place?
Looking for a place with a good stock of different TVs and sensible prices.

I'll also need to buy beds (incl mattresses) as a matter of urgency. Was thinking IKEA for the moment but any other suggestions? Decent quality without breaking the bank, if you know what I mean.

Then it will be pots and pans, some garden furniture to use inside until our furniture being shipped arrives.

Any info as well on the equivalent to John Lewis, Marks & Spencer, Next or anything else would be good.

Thanks

Pulaski Sep 29th 2014 12:31 pm

Re: Where to buy TV, beds etc?

Amazon for TVs. Great choice, great prices, and free delivery. :nod:

There is no equivalent to Marks & Spencer. :(

smarty156 Sep 29th 2014 12:34 pm

Thanks Pulaski. Didn't think of Amazon!
At least Marks & Spencer deliver to the US (not food).

Owen778 Sep 29th 2014 12:48 pm

Our TV comes from Costco. They often carry last year's model at really good value for money.

Bear in mind that prices in the US are listed before sales tax. Including on Amazon etc.

Pulaski Sep 29th 2014 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by smarty156 (Post 11422020)
Thanks Pulaski. Didn't think of Amazon!
At least Marks & Spencer deliver to the US (not food).

Watch out though, if you order from M&S you are likely to get charged import duties. It is generally better to "stock up" on M&S stuff when you return to the UK.

For men's clothing of a similar quality to M&S I recommend Lands' End, which I use for most shirts, trousers, for both the office and casual wear, though that is in part because they stock a great range of "tall" fittings which is essential for me, ..... and also because I hate shopping! :lol:

LL Bean is the major competitor to Landsend, and also good for casual wear and cold weather clothing.

notonuksoil Sep 29th 2014 1:55 pm

Depending where you are in lower Westchester there is also BJ's (similar to costco) They do a special trial membership where it is free to shop for 60 days without having to pay the membership fee of $50.

I also find Wayfair.com good, have ordered many things from there including queen bed frame, dinning table, light fixtures, kitchen counter stools, mirrors etc A lot of items have free shipping and customer service has been excellent. One mirror arrived broken, without hesitation they shipped a new one out immediately without having to return the broken one.

Have used Sleepys for mattresses, again received great service and free delivery. Best to go when they have a sale though so depending when in November you arrive the best time to buy would be around Thanksgivng

smarty156 Sep 29th 2014 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11422081)
Watch out though, if you order from M&S you are likely to get charged import duties. It is generally better to "stock up" on M&S stuff when you return to the UK.

For men's clothing of a similar quality to M&S I recommend Lands' End, which I use for most shirts, trousers, for both the office and casual wear, though that is in part because they stock a great range of "tall" fittings which is essential for me, ..... and also because I hate shopping! :lol:

LL Bean is the major competitor to Landsend, and also good for casual wear and cold weather clothing.

My wife will be back in England on business for a few days each year and will be flown business class so double the luggage allowance. I suspect one suitcase will be purely for UK goods that are difficult to find or overly expensive in the US.:lol:

Thanks for the shopping info - will look them up.

smarty156 Sep 29th 2014 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by notonuksoil (Post 11422129)
Depending where you are in lower Westchester there is also BJ's (similar to costco) They do a special trial membership where it is free to shop for 60 days without having to pay the membership fee of $50.

I also find Wayfair.com good, have ordered many things from there including queen bed frame, dinning table, light fixtures, kitchen counter stools, mirrors etc A lot of items have free shipping and customer service has been excellent. One mirror arrived broken, without hesitation they shipped a new one out immediately without having to return the broken one.

Sounds good. I'll take a look.

smarty156 Sep 29th 2014 2:16 pm

Wayfair.com looks great.

Thought of something else - battery power drill and/or cordless screwdriver. Where to get those?

notonuksoil Sep 29th 2014 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by smarty156 (Post 11422163)
Wayfair.com looks great.

Thought of something else - battery power drill and/or cordless screwdriver. Where to get those?

Home Depot the US version of B&Q

Pulaski Sep 29th 2014 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by notonuksoil (Post 11422167)
Home Depot the US version of B&Q

Kind of. :unsure: B&Q is like a pathetic corner hardware store compared to Home Depot. .... Lowes is another alternative, almost identical to Home Depot, but with a slightly better range of home decor supplies - curtains, blinds, carpets, etc.

That said rechargeable battery tools are expensive at HD & Lowes, and you will probably find them cheaper on-line or at Amazon.

Rusty Chainsaw Sep 29th 2014 3:15 pm

If you want to actually see the latest and greatest in TV and electronics before buying, Best Buy is the place to go. Find one you like, get the model number, then order it on Amazon. :D

Ikea will probably be the best bang for the buck for furniture (nearest ones to you will be in Paramus, NJ or Newark, NJ). Pretty much all the same stuff as you'll find in an Ikea in the UK, and the only place in the US where I've seen shopping trollies with four rotating wheels, like the ones at home. :) There's a few other places worth checking out - Bob's Discount Furniture in NJ are good for beds, Crate & Barrel are a more high-end Ikea (think Habitat), and there's plenty of others to check out.

Guindalf Sep 29th 2014 3:16 pm

Buy the Sunday papers when you get here! That's where all the sales flyers are. You can see what's on sale and go from there.

Be aware, though. Just because it's in a flyer, doesn't always mean it's cheap. Do your research, especially for bigger items, before parting with your hard-earned.

Another good place for electronics is Newegg.com. They have some great prices and don't charge sales tax out of state.

Items like TVs and beds are often price-locked, so retailers are not allowed to discount. In these cases, look for extras like free pillows with the beds or stands, wall mounts and/or blu-ray players included with the deal.

Nutmegger Sep 29th 2014 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by Rusty Chainsaw (Post 11422219)

Bob's Discount Furniture in NJ are good for beds, Crate & Barrel are a more high-end Ikea (think Habitat), and there's plenty of others to check out.

As the OP is going to be in lower Westchester, he will find Bob's in Yonkers and the Bronx, too. I have TVs from Costco and Amazon -- both were good deals.

Pulaski Sep 29th 2014 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by Guindalf (Post 11422221)
.... Items like TVs .... are often price-locked, so retailers are not allowed to discount. .....

That's presumably why last year's models are often such a great deal? (I'm guessing non-current models can be discounted. :unsure: )