Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

When you moved here, did you notice right away that poverty is more apparent here?

When you moved here, did you notice right away that poverty is more apparent here?

Old Nov 29th 2014, 8:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When you moved here, did you notice right away that poverty is more apparent here

Originally Posted by Hotscot
Not what I was doing.
I simply felt the article was of interest in the ongoing discussion.
Maybe this one will also be of interest to the ongoing discussion.

London is the sixth richest city in the world, provides 20% of UK's GDP, and is one of the most expensive cities to live in worldwide. Yet alongside prosperity lives poverty. 4 in 10 (or 650,000) London children live in poverty, 12% above the national average. Child poverty levels in inner London boroughs are higher still; more than one in every two inner London children live in poverty.

4 in 10: The End Child Poverty London Project
Old Nov 29th 2014, 9:09 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When you moved here, did you notice right away that poverty is more apparent here

Tell me something; Are you a farking expert in everything? or just a wannabe?

Before you answer, be advised I know a few of those already.
Old Nov 29th 2014, 9:42 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joto
When we first came over here, we were in an apartment in a decent town, but about 2 miles from Lawrence, MA. What a dive. There were a lot of 3 storey multi-family buildings in the area, that looked like they would fall down if you pushed them. A lot of dodgy people hanging around crappy looking stores with cheaper booze advert posters plastered over the whole outside of the store. Never been back to that area in years, so not sure if it's much the same, or if it might have improved a little.
Lawrence is a prime shithole
Old Nov 29th 2014, 10:44 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas
Tell me something; Are you a farking expert in everything? or just a wannabe?

Before you answer, be advised I know a few of those already.
He has a lot of spare time, and is a dab hand with Google.

Last edited by Pulaski; Nov 29th 2014 at 10:47 pm.
Old Nov 29th 2014, 11:23 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
Maybe this one will also be of interest to the ongoing discussion.

London is the sixth richest city in the world, provides 20% of UK's GDP, and is one of the most expensive cities to live in worldwide. Yet alongside prosperity lives poverty. 4 in 10 (or 650,000) London children live in poverty, 12% above the national average. Child poverty levels in inner London boroughs are higher still; more than one in every two inner London children live in poverty.

4 in 10: The End Child Poverty London Project
In reality that a measure of inequality not poverty.

When I moved from Streatham in London to San Francisco, the large amount of homeless people was startling.
Old Nov 29th 2014, 11:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
He has a lot of spare time, and is a dab hand with Google.
+1

Just to add, I seldom read just one article but often hundreds trying to figure out what are the most logical conclusions.

As far as poverty, that is probably one of the most complex things to draw logical conclusions about. When I was working in Europe during the late 1960s and early 1970s, I often had to travel to East Germany on business and poverty, run down buildings, barely drivable roads, shoddy goods, and lack of cars seemed to be everywhere. I also visited Hungary and Yugoslavia on vacation and the richest of the three countries appeared to be Yugoslavia with it's well maintained and clean cities, good roads, expensive cars, and beautiful resorts and East Germany appeared by far the poorest. However according to the World Bank and the CIA, East Germany was the richest of the Eastern block countries and Yugoslavia ranked near the bottom.

Also Yugoslavia appeared to be a very harmonious place but as we later saw, they didn't like each other very well.

Last edited by Michael; Nov 29th 2014 at 11:52 pm.
Old Nov 30th 2014, 2:35 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas
I don't want to get into a war, but I think it's worth pointing out that every major city has homeless.

Certainly I'd have to believe the US has more of it, since it has less of a safety net than the UK, but if you've ever visited Paris, Berlin, or Madrid, you'll find your fair share of obviously indigent people on the streets in those cities too.

I reckon if you come from Devon or Cornwall and visit NYC or San Francisco, you'd be in for a shock. I'd expect one to reasonably conclude that Americans = homeless.

Conversely, this reminds me of an American couple from Indiana (acquaintances of some friends who connected us) who visited Mallorca some time ago. They had a day's layover in Madrid, and decided to explore the city. When we finally met up, one of the surprises they mentioned was that they'd never seen so many homeless as they had seen in Madrid - and were always led to believe that homelessness doesn't exist in Europe. Surprise!

And if you've ever been to Cairo or Istanbul, well, I need not elaborate.
It depends where you drive/ travel in relation to where the poor people live. I see plenty of poor people in poor quality housing, including really $4!tty trailer parks, but there were parts of London, esp SE London that were every bit as bad, and I seen people living in appalingly bad conditions in cities in the UK, notably including Manchester and Glasgow, where I have seen people living in houses boarded up and awaiting demolition.
Agree with both these sensible responses. It seems glaringly obvious that the answer to the OP's question really depends upon two factors that differ somewhat for every one of us: namely where you come from in the UK and where you have moved to in the US....

Even those two factors are not simple. For instance, in England we lived in Cambridge for many years, raising our family in a very nice area with few/no signs of poverty or homelessness. However, once the children left home and the husband and I decided to share a car--necessitating one or both of us to use the local busses more often than previously--our perceptions changed as we saw more people who either could not afford a car and/or obtain a drivers licence (health, mental, addiction, or homelessness problems). I began to notice people I'd not really seen before--the pan-handlers around the main bus station, rough sleepers in the parks, etc.

Now we live in a well-to-do area of the US--lots of rich folks' second homes around us. I would say if I went on surface appearances alone that there's no evidence poverty here at all.... Yet I know that under that surface there probably is a problem (substance abuse, squatters breaking into empty houses to rob or sleep). Sometimes it just takes time to be able to "see" the signs....

Last edited by WEBlue; Nov 30th 2014 at 2:46 pm.
Old Dec 1st 2014, 12:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

HumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joto
When we first came over here, we were in an apartment in a decent town, but about 2 miles from Lawrence, MA. What a dive.... Never been back to that area in years, so not sure if it's much the same, or if it might have improved a little.
Nope, it's still a shithole
Old Dec 1st 2014, 10:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm. I remember reading Russell Brands My Bookywook that there is a subsection of society you don't see until you need to see it. He began to see it when he was a homeless heroin addict and wondered why he hadn't seen it before.

When I lived outside Cambridge UK I didn't have a car either and there were always homeless types hanging around Drummer street bus station. Also all the public toilets always had sharps containers where IV drug users could safely dispose of their needles. I used to smoke in those days and I daren't walk across Parkers Piece with a cigarette because I got tired of people asking me if I had a spare fag.

The first place I lived in Boulder was a second floor apartment which overlooked a library. I used to see someone roll up in a psychedelic spray painted Yugo at night, break into the library and leave about 5:30 in the morning.

There are a lot of homeless in Boulder who make little camps alongside the Boulder creek.

I think I've always noticed homelessness straight away. What I didn't notice so much in the USA at first was working poor living in trailers, really nasty ones.
Old Dec 2nd 2014, 5:03 am
BE Enthusiast

jeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cornelius Suttree
It is a myth that homeless people are mostly mentally not-right.

Homelessness in the US has a long history. Before it used to be called skid row or "bummin around". In the beginning of the last century up to the Derpression it wasn't unusual to see whole families "riding the rails".

As me English Wife says, "the American Dream is doing what you want without being stigmatized for it". Free to be impoverished, free to be mentally ill, free to be homeless. It's the culture, you're free to fail. There is no noblesse oblige in America.
Old Dec 2nd 2014, 5:27 am
Forum Regular

WriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond repute

No noblesse oblige in America?

Umm, no, thankfully America is not a monarchy.

Anyway, if you think there is noblesse oblige in the UK, you've been gone a very, very long time, or you are delusional.
Old Dec 3rd 2014, 1:36 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WriterChick
No noblesse oblige in America?

Umm, no, thankfully America is not a monarchy.

Anyway, if you think there is noblesse oblige in the UK, you've been gone a very, very long time, or you are delusional.
not noblesse oblige exactly but where I live there is a conspicuous (? I've had a glass already ) effort at helping those less fortunate. Coat/clothes drives at the schools, backpacks full of food for kids for the weekend. I just got really fed-up with my over-privileged kiddoes and tried to volunteer en famille over christmas. Nobody needed help, all is booked up.

I really noticed how many people there are begging at every single busy junction and it tugged at my heartstrings when we first arrived. Now, I see the same people at different places having paid their "fee" no doubt and I think that there are enough places to get a bed and free food around this city and I find I'm less susceptible to their pleas.
Old Dec 3rd 2014, 1:54 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

I agree. It depends where you drive/ travel in relation to where the poor people live. I see plenty of poor people in poor quality housing, including really $4!tty trailer parks, but there were parts of London, esp SE London that were every bit as bad, and I seen people living in appalingly bad conditions in cities in the UK, notably including Manchester and Glasgow, where I have seen people living in houses boarded up and awaiting demolition.
I live in a "poor" area but not "the Hood". There are a few houses like that. Squatters next door.(the drug dealers got busted). Vacant half block that used to be a Trailer Park. But it is actually a reasonable residential area.

I used to work downtown, where beggars would be after change or cigs on every corner. The vacant lot / car park I used often had vagrants sleeping there when I arrived in the morning. Now I work next to the county Jail. Different but similar scenery.

In UK I lived in central London, and before that in Torquay and Bristol. It was 10-20 years ago, but much the same impressions.

ETA For 2 weeks right before emmigrating, I lived (with permission) in a boarded up building on Tottenham Court Road.

Last edited by RICH; Dec 3rd 2014 at 2:04 am.
Old Dec 3rd 2014, 1:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Bnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeepster

As me English Wife says, "the American Dream is doing what you want without being stigmatized for it". Free to be impoverished, free to be mentally ill, free to be homeless. It's the culture, you're free to fail. There is no noblesse oblige in America.
Never looked at "land of the free" from this perspective. Smart woman.
Old Dec 3rd 2014, 2:03 am
BE Enthusiast

jeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
not noblesse oblige exactly but where I live there is a conspicuous (? I've had a glass already ) effort at helping those less fortunate. Coat/clothes drives at the schools, backpacks full of food for kids for the weekend. I just got really fed-up with my over-privileged kiddoes and tried to volunteer en famille over christmas. Nobody needed help, all is booked up.

I really noticed how many people there are begging at every single busy junction and it tugged at my heartstrings when we first arrived. Now, I see the same people at different places having paid their "fee" no doubt and I think that there are enough places to get a bed and free food around this city and I find I'm less susceptible to their pleas.
Noblesse still exists (in England) but it's the government programs that have taken over. Social safety net.

Yes, when living in the states one has to accept living with failure. It's out in the open and you help when you can.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.