Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

When you moved here, did you notice right away that poverty is more apparent here?

When you moved here, did you notice right away that poverty is more apparent here?

Old Nov 27th 2014, 9:04 am
Forum Regular

WriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When you moved here, did you notice right away that poverty is more apparent here

My Miami-Nurse-Friend told me that in her hospital they simply ignore non-emergencies until they leave.

They just keep bumping them back for more serious cases.

So, although they are not refusing to treat them, they ignore them and bump them for four, six, ten hours, and they often eventually leave.
Old Nov 27th 2014, 9:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When you moved here, did you notice right away that poverty is more apparent here

Originally Posted by WriterChick
Yes, my point is that very often, based on my experience and the experience of many others in the trade, owners do not actually follow the laws.

If it is a big, national chain, they are a bit more inclined to do so, but even then, they get away with a lot.

My father owned bars, nightclubs and restaurants in NYC, and I worked in the industry for about 20 years, as did many of my friends and family members, and we worked in many states, and the NORM is for the business owners to NOT follow the laws.

Also, for the most part, the law isn't enforced at all.

It is a bit of a 'rogue' industry in the USA.

Plenty of rules exist, but they are often ignored.

Example: That industry is full of 'undocumented' workers.

There is even an age requirement for people to work in establishments that serve alcohol, and even that is commonly ignored.

Stuff like that is just a reality of that industry in much of America.
When was the last time you worked in the US? The IRS has really clamped down and do significant number of audits of restaurants and bars looking at the books and watching the business. If the IRS determines that the books don't make sense in relation to what they can calculate by observing the business, the IRS issues a tax bill based on the few days they monitored the business rated over the full year plus they add penalties and interest.

The owner than has to hire very expensive accountants to try to get the tax bill reduced. It's only a matter of time before the IRS catches up with them. The also take a double chance if they don't report sales taxes to the state since that could trigger a state audit and that will trigger a IRS audit.

Last edited by Michael; Nov 27th 2014 at 9:12 am.
Old Nov 27th 2014, 9:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

The NHS isn't perfect, but nothing ever is... In my humble opinion, I must say that do very much appreciate the NHS.

Very much.

In the four years I have lived here, I have NEVER had a bad NHS experience.

I had a sudden and unexpected medical emergency shortly after arriving, and I woke up in a hospital bed to discover that they had saved my life. No one asked me if I was a resident or a citizen or a tourist... they just saved my life.

What did we pay for?

Parking.

That was it - just parking.

This country has a lot to be proud of, and the NHS, although imperfect, should be extremely high up on that list.
Like everyone else, I took it for granted before I left. Just that security is amazing.

A relative here in the UK recently emailed me with a long catalogue of all the family's ailments and treatments. These include some serious matters like islet transplant, cancer treatment and ongoing long-term care for someone with advanced Alzheimers in a really great facility. However, instead of praising it, she said, "I suppose it's a postcode lottery."

Glad you had good treatment.
Old Nov 27th 2014, 9:12 am
Forum Regular

WriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmmm... yeah I couldn't say if the NHS treatment is post code related or not... I did have treatment in four different postcodes, but all in 'good' areas.

My family STILL owns bars, restaurants and nightclubs, and there was a bit of a 'crack down' but it is ALL still happening. Most people in the business know the ways around it.
Old Nov 27th 2014, 9:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

My family STILL owns bars, restaurants and nightclubs, and there was a bit of a 'crack down' but it is ALL still happening. Most people in the business know the ways around it.
It's really getting hard now. State sales taxes, state income taxes, and city taxes in NYC make it really hard to cover your trail. Any one of those leads to the other. A business owner almost has to not pay any of those or a very small amount and fill out Schedule C by including small expenses and small receipts to have a chance of not getting caught.
Old Nov 27th 2014, 9:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas
Spain has one of the largest black economies in Europe, and it's quite obvious on the ground.
If it's a black economy no real figures exist, so I wouldn't say that Spain has one of the largest black economies in Europe. Maybe less people are being caught in other countries.
Old Nov 27th 2014, 9:27 am
Forum Regular

Yeah... ummm, all of that is really, really, really easy to get around.

People know how to get around it.

This is a fact.

I'm not really at liberty to elaborate, so I'm not going to go into details. But, it is a fact.

Everyone in the business knows how to get around all of that stuff, and many other things as well.

I know people who are totally 'undocumented' and have been managing nightclubs for over ten years. They are very well paid. They still have their jobs. Nothing has changed.
Old Nov 27th 2014, 9:27 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
If it's a black economy no real figures exist, so I wouldn't say that Spain has one of the largest black economies in Europe. Maybe less people are being caught in other countries.
The Shadow Economy in Europe, 2013 - Financial Institutions Featured Article - A.T. Kearney

I'm surprised to see that Germany actually trumps Spain. Spain is well known for the brown envelope, but then, Germans are known for tax evasion.
Old Nov 27th 2014, 9:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yeah... ummm, all of that is really, really, really easy to get around.

People know how to get around it.

This is a fact.

I'm not really at liberty to elaborate, so I'm not going to go into details. But, it is a fact.

Everyone in the business knows how to get around all of that stuff, and many other things as well.

I know people who are totally 'undocumented' and have been managing nightclubs for over ten years. They are very well paid. They still have their jobs. Nothing has changed.
One day luck is going to run out just like the US tax evaders that had money in Swiss banks. Those that accepted the amnesty paid heavy penalties and interest and those that didn't went to prison if they were on the IRS list. Some took their chances that the US government didn't know they had accounts in Swiss banks and lost, went to prison, and had most of their money confiscated.

FATCA is now making it really difficult for tax evaders.
Old Nov 27th 2014, 9:35 am
Forum Regular

It is very hard for governments to keep tabs on what is happening in a primarily 'cash in hand' business, which is based on self reporting!

And this kind of thing exists everywhere.
Old Nov 27th 2014, 9:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

The Shadow Economy in Europe, 2013 - Financial Institutions Featured Article - A.T. Kearney

I'm surprised to see that Germany actually trumps Spain. Spain is well known for the brown envelope, but then, Germans are known for tax evasion.
At the end of the day none of these figures are correct. How can you get correct figures for a shadow economy, if it's a shadow economy?
Old Nov 27th 2014, 9:38 am
Forum Regular

LOL, exactly...
Old Nov 27th 2014, 9:43 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
One day luck is going to run out just like the US tax evaders that had money in Swiss banks. Those that accepted the amnesty paid heavy penalties and interest and those that didn't went to prison if they were on the IRS list. Some took their chances that the US government didn't know they had accounts in Swiss banks and lost, went to prison, and had most of their money confiscated.

FATCA is now making it really difficult for tax evaders.
I have a challenge for you. I'm serious.

Google "offshore company" and get a list of the top 10 services offering to set up a tax-free offshore company. Most of them will have a number you can call to get more information.

Start calling them, and in as unthreatening way as possible, explain that you are a student doing a thesis on international trade, and would like to ask a few questions, if they would please take a moment. Many may hang up on you, but somebody will likely give you their time.

Without asking any names or precise information, ask which nationalities make up the bulk of their clients. Americans, Europeans, which European nationalities... etc.

If you can get an answer, you may be very surprised what they tell you. Consistently
Old Nov 27th 2014, 9:45 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Just on anecdotal evidence I would guess that Germans are nuttier than Spaniards
Old Nov 27th 2014, 9:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It is very hard for governments to keep tabs on what is happening in a primarily 'cash in hand' business, which is based on self reporting!

And this kind of thing exists everywhere.
My father and brother were also small business men and did a little shady transactions. However if as you say, with several businesses employing many workers, cash means nothing if there is more traffic into the businesses than being reported. It all depends on when the IRS wants to crack down on that business and the IRS can issue a tax bill based on their observation and it is up to the business owner to prove that the IRS figures are wrong. That's really hard to prove when books are not showing what the IRS sees.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.