Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

When you first arrive at the US airport with your spanky new visa...

When you first arrive at the US airport with your spanky new visa...

Old Jul 5th 2010, 1:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When you first arrive at the US airport with your spanky new visa...

Originally Posted by Hubcaps
I've read this and my question is:
What brown envelope? We have no brown envelope and no-one I know who has moved over to the US has any idea what the "brown envelope" is.
Its for people on marriage/fiance (immigrant) Visa's.
Old Jul 5th 2010, 2:33 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When you first arrive at the US airport with your spanky new visa...

Originally Posted by traceym
Its for people on marriage/fiance (immigrant) Visa's.
Or other IVs.
Old Jul 5th 2010, 4:09 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

I've read this and my question is:
What brown envelope? We have no brown envelope and no-one I know who has moved over to the US has any idea what the "brown envelope" is.
Well as this is British Expats it refers to the 'mystery brown envelope" issued, to people coming over on immigrant visas and fiancee visas, by the US Embassy in London which comes sealed with do not open stamps all over it. Mine was most certainly brown and in over 5 years on this and other UK/US immigration forums I have never heard it referred to as anything but the MBE or mystery brown envelope.

I've amended the WIKI page to make it clearer which visas it refers to.

Last edited by lansbury; Jul 5th 2010 at 4:19 pm.
Old Jul 5th 2010, 4:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by lansbury
Well as this is British Expats it refers to the 'mystery brown envelope" issued, to people coming over on immigrant visas, by the US Embassy in London which comes sealed with do not open stamps all over it. Mine was most certainly brown and in over 5 years on this on other UK/US immigration forums I have never heard it referred to as anything but the MBE or mystery brown envelope.
Oops, have I made a terrible faux pas by visiting the forum and posting here when I will be coming over on a non-immigrant visa and there for am not in receipt of the "MBE"?
Old Jul 5th 2010, 4:24 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Oops, have I made a terrible faux pas by visiting the forum and posting here when I will be coming over on a non-immigrant visa and there for am not in receipt of the "MBE"?
Actually quickly reading your OP I missed the L1 visa part. Sorry to have inconvenienced you by trying to be helpful, in future I"ll know to be more careful and not waste my time.