Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

When do tax transcripts become available?

When do tax transcripts become available?

Old Feb 2nd 2011, 5:00 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute
Default When do tax transcripts become available?

I will need IRS tax transcripts for 2008, 2009 & 2010 for my N400 application, which I will be entitled to submit shortly (March).

Having submitted my tax return for 2010 I understand that the IRS will start processing them on February 14th.

I've looked around the IRS website but cannot find any information as to when in the overall process the transcript for 2010 would become available. Any ideas? Can I assume that once the return is notified as accepted the transcript will be available? Or that when I get my refund check it will then be possible to get the transcript?

No desperate panic for all this - I just like to plan ahead to avoid surprises!
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 5:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When do tax transcripts become available?

Originally Posted by celticgrid View Post
I will need IRS tax transcripts for 2008, 2009 & 2010 for my N400 application, which I will be entitled to submit shortly (March).

Having submitted my tax return for 2010 I understand that the IRS will start processing them on February 14th.

I've looked around the IRS website but cannot find any information as to when in the overall process the transcript for 2010 would become available. Any ideas? Can I assume that once the return is notified as accepted the transcript will be available? Or that when I get my refund check it will then be possible to get the transcript?

No desperate panic for all this - I just like to plan ahead to avoid surprises!
I remember looking into this several years ago, and I believe they only become available, for the most recent tax year, a few months after the due date. So likely 2010 won't be available until a few months after April 15th.

However, this could have changed since I last looked into it. It could be worth giving a call to the IRS 1-800 number to find out.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 5:43 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13 View Post
I remember looking into this several years ago, and I believe they only become available, for the most recent tax year, a few months after the due date. So likely 2010 won't be available until a few months after April 15th.

However, this could have changed since I last looked into it. It could be worth giving a call to the IRS 1-800 number to find out.
Thank you. I will call the number nearer the time if it still an unknown. I was looking at transcripts as being by far the least hassle from the options required:

I may have to balance my hatred of paperwork against the desire to kick off the naturalization process.
Attached Thumbnails When do tax transcripts become available?-item4.jpg  
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 8:09 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by celticgrid View Post
While they're handy, you don't actually "need" them. Go ahead and get transcripts for 2008 and 2009... but if the 2010 transcripts aren't yet available when you want to file, just use a copy of your 2010 return.

Ian
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 8:24 pm
Wondering if...

Originally Posted by ian-mstm View Post
While they're handy, you don't actually "need" them. Go ahead and get transcripts for 2008 and 2009... but if the 2010 transcripts aren't yet available when you want to file, just use a copy of your 2010 return.

Ian
Thanks. Yes, there are other options for meeting the need, but this seemed the simplest, least paperwork way. I like the simple options...