Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

When did you tell family and friends you were moving? Reaction?

When did you tell family and friends you were moving? Reaction?

Old Nov 1st 2013, 8:53 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When did you tell family and friends you were moving? Reaction?

Originally Posted by hoffage123
Wow Rene, that is quite a secret to keep
Originally Posted by civilservant
Wow Rene.... Just. Wow.

I don't know how I'd feel about being his 'dirty little secret' as far as his parents are concerned. As you say though, his choice.
Sadegh has an older brother who is jealous that Sadegh got the chance to move to the USA, and he didn't. ('Cause ya know, USA streets are paved with gold and everyone has big fancy houses and cars here...yeah right...those myths never die!) I met the older brother in Turkey a couple of times when I was visiting Sadegh, so he definitely knows me. The older brother snitched to Mom one time about me, but Mom didn't believe him! LOL Needless to say, though, that put Sadegh and his brother at odds (even more so than they already were).

I don't mind the folks not knowing, or Sadegh's concern in telling them. They simply wouldn't approve, wouldn't understand, and on top of that I'm older than Sadegh which is not common in his culture, we won't be having children which is another thing that would devestate his mother...she has 3 sons, none of whom are going to give her grandchildren. She has grandchildren from her daughters, but she's sooooo old-school that she still only thinks the children from the male side of the family "count" for anything. It's sad, but it's the way it is. This way, she can just keep hoping Sadegh will move back to Iran, marry a local gal, and produce a bunch of kids.

I have seen lots of Sadegh's family in Turkey, and have talked to his sisters and their families back in Iran on the phone, so I'm comfortable that everyone knows me except the parents, and he's not "hiding me". If I were being kept secret from the whole entire family, I'd feel more uncomfortable, but I can understand not telling the parents.

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
Perhaps he's concerned that they'd have you - or the both of you - stoned for being infidels if they were to find out.
I think it is likely more of a case (like I was worried about with my family, which happened temporarily before I met my missus because I refused to marry my cousin) that they would stop speaking to him kind of thing/disown type of thing.
Yeah, his folks live in a very small village, are around 70 years old, and all they know is what they hear through the media about USA being the Land of Satan and all that. They just want to follow tradition and have Sadegh marry a girl his mom chooses, live in Iran, and make grandbabies. That is the furthest thing that Sadegh wants for himself, but he can't bring himself to break their hearts by telling them that. He knows it will be a huge fight, and yes maybe even disowning him, and he can't bear the thought of that, either.

It's all actually very interesting to me, to see his family dynamics, such as they are...and how he handles everything. So far, he's doing pretty well at living the life HE wants, with the person HE wants, but letting the folks think otherwise. LOL

Rene
Old Nov 1st 2013, 8:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
Wow Rene.... Just. Wow.

I don't know how I'd feel about being his 'dirty little secret' as far as his parents are concerned. As you say though, his choice.
I think it's rather a good idea
Old Nov 1st 2013, 9:17 am
BE Forum Addict

hoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I think it's rather a good idea
Trust you to lower the tone hehe.

It has been really interesting hearing how different people approached telling their friends and family. I will of course keep you updated on my families reaction (gets flak jacket on).
Old Nov 1st 2013, 9:49 am
Forum Regular

Lbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond repute

Ultimately if you aren't going to let it stop you moving, then you have to stop worrying about it. You can't change their attitude, all you can do is choose when it's time to stop listening.
Old Nov 1st 2013, 10:05 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

I was being facetious about the stoning.

Regards, JEff
I think it is likely more of a case ...
Old Nov 1st 2013, 10:08 am
BE Forum Addict

hoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond repute

Regards, JEff
Ah right; sometimes difficult to tell the tone from written words - no worries
Old Nov 1st 2013, 10:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Regards, JEff
Phew, I did wonder.
Old Nov 1st 2013, 10:55 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat027 is an unknown quantity at this point

Haven't spoken to my parents in years, so I can just as easily not speak to them here in the US as I could in the UK.
It's also worked out that I speak to my brother more here (over Skype) than I did in the UK.

Do what you want to do, I say.
Old Nov 1st 2013, 10:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You obviously should do what you want to do, but cut them some slack, you'll be sad if your own kids move away and Skype is nothing like being with someone.
Old Nov 1st 2013, 11:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
You obviously should do what you want to do, but cut them some slack, you'll be sad if your own kids move away and Skype is nothing like being with someone.
Agreed, I definitely want to keep ties and cordial/moderate relations which is why I hope they will be not too negative about things, despite stuff he has done in the past, he is still my Dad, and I'm an eternal optimist I guess when it comes to trying to see the best in family.
Old Dec 6th 2013, 9:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Thought I would give you guys an update on this.

I told my family today - My mum was a little bit shocked, didn't really say much on the phone.

My Dad (who I was most worried about) was very faux-nice about it, first in a very passive-aggressive can't be bothered but I really am way and then in a more scathing way. Like "Oh we'll be happy for you but I'm sure you'll come back in a few years with no money blah blah blah ... remember this date that I gave you this advice ... blah blah blah .... all your cousins are millionaires .... blah blah blah " (he is very money-oriented) ... laid on the guilt-trip "oh you won't be back before I'm in the grave and someone else will have to do the burial rites" (morbid, I know) ... to criticising my missus to which I firmly corrected him ... basically had to listen to this for 20 minutes before pretending I had to go to work.

It was better than him getting super-nasty (as in shouting and yelling down the phone) but left me feeling a bit weird. I want him to have a relationship with his grandson, but not at the expense of my family or my dignity. Sadly, very predictable.

Anywho. I will let them stew over it for a few days and then give them a call again. They know my decision, they aren't going to influence me, and I am not going to be put off by their negativity. Go me.
Old Dec 6th 2013, 9:42 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Well done.

Regards, JEff
Go me.
Old Dec 6th 2013, 10:07 am
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

Anywho. I will let them stew over it for a few days and then give them a call again. They know my decision, they aren't going to influence me, and I am not going to be put off by their negativity. Go me.
Right on. There's no reason you have to knuckle under to their sneering opinion when you're in the right, anyway... it's your life and family. They'll come to terms with your decision once they've had their say, I'm sure.
Old Dec 6th 2013, 11:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thought I would give you guys an update on this.

I told my family today - My mum was a little bit shocked, didn't really say much on the phone.

My Dad (who I was most worried about) was very faux-nice about it, first in a very passive-aggressive can't be bothered but I really am way and then in a more scathing way. Like "Oh we'll be happy for you but I'm sure you'll come back in a few years with no money blah blah blah ... remember this date that I gave you this advice ... blah blah blah .... all your cousins are millionaires .... blah blah blah " (he is very money-oriented) ... laid on the guilt-trip "oh you won't be back before I'm in the grave and someone else will have to do the burial rites" (morbid, I know) ... to criticising my missus to which I firmly corrected him ... basically had to listen to this for 20 minutes before pretending I had to go to work.

It was better than him getting super-nasty (as in shouting and yelling down the phone) but left me feeling a bit weird. I want him to have a relationship with his grandson, but not at the expense of my family or my dignity. Sadly, very predictable.

All par for the course - you'll be fine.
Old Dec 6th 2013, 12:40 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

I came for a 2 week vacation got proposed to and stayed called my parents after the fact...." Mum Dad I got married"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.