Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Whats your town famous for?

Whats your town famous for?

Old Nov 7th 2003, 4:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by waxwabbit
I thought Henderson, then Vegas were the fastest growing?
Population wise no. Hendersons population grew 155.6% since 1990 while Gilberts grew a whopping 225.3%!

Las Vegas is the largest growing city over the last few years though. I first visited Vegas in 1996 and you wouldnt recognise the place now compared to how it was off the strip. If Hendersons population has risen 155% and Vegas has risen over 60%, North Las Vegas is at 112% and then throw in Parump which has risen 78% its not hard to see why Vegas tops the growth list and there are plenty of more small towns/areas just outside Vegas that I didnt mention that are also growing.

Last edited by Pimpbot; Nov 7th 2003 at 4:56 pm.
Old Nov 7th 2003, 6:29 pm
Forum Regular

lanky1980 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bowling Green

The Corvette is built here
John Carpenter (Halloween director) is from here
Baldy from Smallville went to uni here (WKU)

Other than that....................Sweet FA!!! Gotta love Kentucky!!
Old Nov 7th 2003, 7:49 pm
K1 via London

Steffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Pharrya
If any of you are in very bored go to Google and type "worst city in America"
I can confirm that I tried this and Baltimore came up - crazy! *L*

Atlanta if famous for:
-Coca Cola
-Margaret Mitchell
-Martin Luther King Jr.
-Home Depot
-1996 Centennial Olympics
-CDC
-Busiest airport in the world
-Large gay population
-Bible belt
-and many more...
Old Nov 7th 2003, 8:30 pm

BrigieDarling will become famous soon enough

New Haven CT... Birthplace of GW Bush. Not sure which one though!
Old Nov 7th 2003, 9:30 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by BrigieDarling
New Haven CT... Birthplace of GW Bush. Not sure which one though!

There is only one GW(alker) Bush, the other was GH(erbert) Bush wasn't he! Walker is George seniors mothers maiden name and where he lives in NH is called walker point

Patrick
Old Nov 7th 2003, 10:29 pm

Originally posted by Patrick
There is only one GW(alker) Bush, the other was GH(erbert) Bush wasn't he! Walker is George seniors mothers maiden name and where he lives in NH is called walker point

Patrick

It says on the highway... birthplace of GW Bush... I think! Will ask Todd when he gets home!
Old Nov 7th 2003, 10:36 pm

American Presidents... LIfe Portraits!

Personal:
• First Lady: Laura Welch Bush, Wife
• Number of Children: 2
• Education Level: Graduate
• School Attended: Yale University, Harvard University
• Religion: Methodist
• Profession: Businessman
• Military Service: Lieutenant

Public Service:
• Dates of Presidency: 1/20/2001 -
• Presidency Number: 43
• Number of Terms: 1
• Why Presidency Ended: Still in office
• Party: Republican
• His Vice President(s): Dick Cheney
• Governor of a State: Texas (1995-2000

Birthplace: New Haven
Old Nov 7th 2003, 11:03 pm
Banned

JulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to all

I live in San Francisco, it's famous for erm....well....a lot.
Old Nov 8th 2003, 1:20 am
Forum Regular

ejay1 will become famous soon enough

I live 20 minutes from mount vernon George Washington's house. Richmond, Virginia was also the capitol of the Confederacy during the Civil War. There is also Jamestown, the first permanent english settlement in America, with Williamsburg nearby. Robert E. Lee was also from Virginia one of America's greatest Generals.
Old Nov 8th 2003, 4:16 am
BE Forum Addict

CitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond repute

I live in Palymra New York. This town of 2000 people of famous for two things:

1) being one of the only two places in the US which has four churches on the towns main intersection.

2) being the birthplace of Joseph Smith (founder of the Mormon religion).

The second is rather significant as the towns population skyrockets from 2,000 to 50,000 during the summer months due to the Mormons coming back from Utah for the annual festival.

The funny thing is that very few Mormons actually live in Palmyra.

Old Nov 8th 2003, 4:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by doctor scrumpy
An arguement for not adding flouride to water ?
Not sure I get what ya mean.

Any how it is one of things Grand Rapids is famous for... they have some sort of monument to it downtown... so I am told.

Ash
Old Nov 8th 2003, 11:24 pm
Professional Mover

Location: Derry, NH Via Salem, NH via Ma, NC, ex Manchester, UK.
RoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to behold

I live in an area of NC thats famous for..... ermmm...... pottery!!
Old Nov 8th 2003, 11:43 pm
Forum Regular

Ptarmigan is an unknown quantity at this point

Ardmore, Oklahoma - Birthplace of John Hinkley Jr who tried to shoot President Ronald Reagan. Ardmore is also the town that the Texas Democrats ran to when they wanted to avoid having to vote on redistricting and is close to where Chuck Norris was born.
Old Nov 9th 2003, 12:21 am
gpc
Forum Regular

gpc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Whats your town famous for?

Originally posted by BritishInOhio
Columbus, Ohio:

Jesse Owens (black runner/jumper who pissed all over Hitlers Olympic Games)
Arnold Palmer (golfer)
Wendy's fast food chain
Ray's wife (from Everyone Loves Raymond)
National Champions and only ever unbeaten season, Ohio State Buckeye's
Buster Douglas (fisrt boxer to beat Mike Tyson)

I'm sure there is more but can't recall all now!!!

Go Bucks!!!
Columbus was James Thurber's hometown as well -- great American humorist and essayist.

Here in New York, we're not famous for much of anything I'm afraid.
Old Nov 12th 2003, 12:40 am
cute as a button

Poppy33usa has a brilliant futurePoppy33usa has a brilliant futurePoppy33usa has a brilliant futurePoppy33usa has a brilliant futurePoppy33usa has a brilliant futurePoppy33usa has a brilliant future
Default Fairview Heights

I live in Fairview Heights Illinois and it appears from my many journeys through the world wide web that this city is famous for ..... absolutely nothing!!.... I was kind of hoping for something more interesting that that but there it is!!....however my home town back in Scotland was the site for the Battle of Stirling Bridge, one of the big battles you may remember from Braveheart....dont think that counts though!!

Poppy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.