British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Whats your town famous for? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/whats-your-town-famous-189433/)

Patrick Nov 6th 2003 7:11 pm

Whats your town famous for?

I am keeping an eye on the Ian Huntley trial as we moved from Soham to the US and was obviously there last Summer (could explain my shitty mood this week) and I was thinking that no-one had heard of Soham before that. That got me thinking to what your town/city/metroplex is famous for in the USA.

The metro area where I live is on TV at least once a week, the WB show one tree hill is shot here and the basketball scenes in the park overlook Wilmington.

Dawsons Creek was also filmed here and in the credits the beach they are on is the town where I live.

The biggest sea battle of the civil war was fought just off the bottom of the island I live on just before the mouth of the Cape Fear river.

The film Cape Fear was filmed here, as was domestic disturbance (john Travolta) and that dumb film with Steven Segal where he is chef on a ship (filmed on the USS North Carolina).

We also have the second highest teen pregnancy rate in the state (one every 28 seconds apparently)

And finally (in the same vein) my favorite claim to fame for my area - The Shag was invented here!

Patrick

PrincessofWales Nov 6th 2003 7:24 pm

ah let me think...DC Metro area.

Bad things

the Sniper
9/11
Mosquitoes
Traffic congestion
Unemployment
A football team that sucks

Good things
The Fall

Jan Alaska Nov 6th 2003 7:29 pm

Ernest Hemmingway spent some time here, apparently wrote one of his most famous novels here too ... but seeing as I dont know any Hemmingway (this is where Scarlett shoots me) I cant tell you which one.
Also we had some guy called Robert Emmet .. an Irishman I believe, he had something to do with the civil war and was hung as a traitor in Dublin when he returned to Ireland.

think thats about it ....

Jan :)

ohhh and did i mention we have lots of trees ?

Jxab12 Nov 6th 2003 7:57 pm

Teddy Roosevelt had his summer 'White House' just up the road from us in Oyster Bay. JP Morgan (the JP Morgan) estate is in the village where we live, so is the Otto Kahn Castle and Estate (Huntington). The Vanderbilt's also had a place in Centreport - now a museum. Billy Jole lives here and Debbie Gibson (remember her) used to. So did John Lennon & Yoko Ono - (beautiful house on the harbour).

The house used in the Munsters is also up the road. Oh and James Watson (discovered DNA) also lives here.

The Gold Coast of LI still has its share of mafia families too, but we wouldn't want to go into too much detail on that.......

Yosser Nov 6th 2003 8:09 pm

Dallas famous for

1. Taking out President JFK
2. Titty bars
3. Americas football team
4. a new mix master road junction thats will take 5 years to build at the cost of 5 billion dollars and it won't actually do anything!.
5. Having a greater number of mexicans than mexico its self.

Maggs Nov 6th 2003 8:22 pm

Re: Whats your town famous for?

Hello
I used to live near Soham.. at Ely. I lived there for about 9 years on and off... RAF Hospital. I moved to the US from Nuneaton in Warwickshire which is famous for George Eliot (Mary Ann Evans) living there and all the local hospital wards are named after characters in her books. Where I live now.... don't think it's famous for anything!

Maggie

Originally posted by Patrick
I am keeping an eye on the Ian Huntley trial as we moved from Soham to the US and was obviously there last Summer (could explain my shitty mood this week) and I was thinking that no-one had heard of Soham before that. That got me thinking to what your town/city/metroplex is famous for in the USA.

The metro area where I live is on TV at least once a week, the WB show one tree hill is shot here and the basketball scenes in the park overlook Wilmington.

Dawsons Creek was also filmed here and in the credits the beach they are on is the town where I live.

The biggest sea battle of the civil war was fought just off the bottom of the island I live on just before the mouth of the Cape Fear river.

The film Cape Fear was filmed here, as was domestic disturbance (john Travolta) and that dumb film with Steven Segal where he is chef on a ship (filmed on the USS North Carolina).

We also have the second highest teen pregnancy rate in the state (one every 28 seconds apparently)

And finally (in the same vein) my favorite claim to fame for my area - The Shag was invented here!

Patrick
:( :)

Jan Alaska Nov 6th 2003 8:22 pm

ohh forgot to mention it was also the summer retreat for Frank Sinatra and the Rat Pack ... and of course his errmm 'Sicilian friends'

Jan :)

Webbie Nov 6th 2003 8:32 pm

Had a look when I first moved here (Greensboro, NC) to find out the history of the place and what it was famous for.
Nothing much. Apart from car crime.

But get this -
The city was named after General Greene.
He was from Rhode Island, never lived in NC.
He fought the British here but lost the battle !

Raleigh the state capital, was named after Sir Walter Raleigh - who never even stepped foot on land here.
:D

Pharrya Nov 6th 2003 8:36 pm

Here in Baltimore MD:

1) Fort McHenry - The battle of which is commemorated in the 'Star Spangled Banner'
2) Heroin
3) Camden Yards - One of the finest stadiums in MLB.
4) Birthplace of Wallis Simpson, Spiro Agnew and Frank Zappa
5) A model of Urban Renewal

If any of you are in very bored go to Google and type "worst city in America"

scotch03 Nov 6th 2003 8:49 pm

Los Angeles

Well almost every movie you have ever seen or likely to see.

Gangs and the related killings.

Isn't that enough?

Patrick Nov 6th 2003 10:05 pm

I forgot, Michael Jordon comes from Wilmington too, as does Trot Nixon (red sox)

Patrick

edwords Nov 6th 2003 10:37 pm

Gilbert, Arizona: fastest-growing town in the U.S.

BritishInOhio Nov 6th 2003 11:10 pm

Columbus, Ohio:

Jesse Owens (black runner/jumper who pissed all over Hitlers Olympic Games)
Arnold Palmer (golfer)
Wendy's fast food chain
Ray's wife (from Everyone Loves Raymond)
National Champions and only ever unbeaten season, Ohio State Buckeye's
Buster Douglas (fisrt boxer to beat Mike Tyson)

I'm sure there is more but can't recall all now!!!

Go Bucks!!!

Originally posted by Patrick

Patrick

elfman Nov 6th 2003 11:57 pm

I also used to live near Soham - I grew up in Mildenhall.

Currently I live in Hoboken, on the fair west bank of the Hudson River, which has two claims to fame: Frank Sinatra was born here, and the first ever game of baseball was allegedly played here. The latter claim is a little dubious, methinks.

And Webbie, you should be aware that Greensboro NC holds a very special place in American history: I'm surprised you haven't heard of the 1960 Greensboro Woolworths lunch counter sit-in that in some ways set the ball rolling in the civil rights movement. Look it up. The actual lunch counter is preserved in the Smithsonian.

Webbie Nov 7th 2003 1:50 am

Originally posted by elfman
And Webbie, you should be aware that Greensboro NC holds a very special place in American history: I'm surprised you haven't heard of the 1960 Greensboro Woolworths lunch counter sit-in that in some ways set the ball rolling in the civil rights movement. Look it up. The actual lunch counter is preserved in the Smithsonian.
Forgot about that !
Walked right past the place yesterday as well.
(The building is being converted into a museum and cultural center - open next year.)