Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What's your LEAST favorite thing about the US?

What's your LEAST favorite thing about the US?

Old Jun 13th 2012, 5:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's your LEAST favorite thing about the US?

Originally Posted by dlake02
Well, San Digeo makes San Francisco look clear of down-and-outs. Here, they ride the trams to stay warm.

Thoroughly depressing in 2012.
We were staying a couple of streets away from the centre and it was like Dawn of the Dead.
Old Jun 13th 2012, 5:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dlake02
Maybe we all need to be a little less selfish and have less stuff.
I think this is the key to everything really, the world over. Unfortunately it happens everywhere - but I think nowhere is it more prevalent on a mass scale than here in the US - it is very "Me" centric. I notice subtle things are different here to constantly reinforce the "All about Me" attitude - marketing/TV ads are pitched differently, for example. In addition, when you go to buy something, all the salespeople will talk like they own the store - "I have this I can sell you", wheras in the UK its more "We've got this in stock" etc
Old Jun 13th 2012, 5:20 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan725
I think this is the key to everything really, the world over. Unfortunately it happens everywhere - but I think nowhere is it more prevalent on a mass scale than here in the US - it is very "Me" centric. I notice subtle things are different here to constantly reinforce the "All about Me" attitude - marketing/TV ads are pitched differently, for example. In addition, when you go to buy something, all the salespeople will talk like they own the store - "I have this I can sell you", wheras in the UK its more "We've got this in stock" etc
The only time people use the term 'we' out here is when they are referring to one sporting team or another, for which they do not play ...
Old Jun 13th 2012, 5:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
That disparity is insane but what's worse is the general acceptance of it as OK. That it's fine for someone to make that much just by brown-nosing, cheating and lying their way to 'the top' while people who actually do stuff are screwed over to the point of severe burnout.

Honestly, we're not far from feudalism here, when you think about it.
I agree, and its why I can't get my head around why anyone in the middle class and lower would ever vote republican. All these "freedom lovers" are basically subscribing to the theory that further lines the pockets of the uber-rich, whose ass they kiss and are happy to be thrown the scraps. I can't think of anything else that is further from being "Free".

Last edited by Dan725; Jun 13th 2012 at 5:29 pm.
Old Jun 13th 2012, 5:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I agree, and its why I can't get my head around why anyone in the middle class and lower would ever vote republican. All these "freedom lovers" are basically subscribing to the theory that further lines the pockets of the uber-rich, whose ass they kiss ass and are happy to be thrown the scraps. I can't think of anything else that is further from being "Free".
They are so deluded that they think they will get a crumb of something the asset-strippers leave behind.
Old Jun 13th 2012, 5:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

I agree, and its why I can't get my head around why anyone in the middle class and lower would ever vote republican. All these "freedom lovers" are basically subscribing to the theory that further lines the pockets of the uber-rich, whose ass they kiss ass and are happy to be thrown the scraps. I can't think of anything else that is further from being "Free".
Because they are a bunch of ignorant douchebags who believe everything that FOX "News" tells them to believe.
Old Jun 13th 2012, 5:26 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

That's what happens when schools care more about their 'football' fields than their classrooms. Stupidity breeds stupidity.

Now, if actual history was taught in schools, then they'd have learned a bit about this kind of thing happening in Europe in the 1300s.

I'd better watch out in case my Yeoman sees me typing ...
Old Jun 13th 2012, 5:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

That's what happens when schools care more about their 'football' fields than their classrooms. Stupidity breeds stupidity.

Now, if actual history was taught in schools, then they'd have learned a bit about this kind of thing happening in Europe in the 1300s.

Apparently my husband had an email round at work warning people to be very careful what they post on sites, specifically any criticism of the health service.
Old Jun 13th 2012, 5:28 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

It is all reflected in the popular culture.
I assume it came from the me against the world attitude of those that felt they had to escape religious persecution. But we see the individual in what is a uniquely American culture, the Super Hero. The individual against the bad guys, fighting the establishment and government as much as the bad guys themselves. Compare and contrast none American comic book heroes; Kick Ass, Scott Pilgrim and V for Vendetta.
Old Jun 13th 2012, 5:30 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Apparently my husband had an email round at work warning people to be very careful what they post on sites, specifically any criticism of the health service.
Really?

I'm running Chrome in 'incognito' mode though so all that I type will be forgotten when I close the browser. This serf says his yeoman can go lick a plague ridden arse ...
Old Jun 13th 2012, 5:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Really?

I'm running Chrome in 'incognito' mode though so all that I type will be forgotten when I close the browser. This serf says his yeoman can go lick a plague ridden arse ...
Yeah I think this was more about stuff under your real name.
Old Jun 13th 2012, 5:32 pm
I have a comma problem

Yeah I think this was more about stuff under your real name.
Aye, I know. Probably referring to arsebook.
Forum Regular

Egon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud of

Exactly - I think that's where my main gripe how 'freedom' is taught and perceived here; that it's assumed to be a reaction to Britain rather than largely inherited from it.
BE Forum Addict

Ah, another shining example of being "Free", right there...lol! If there's one thing that's hard not to criticize, its the healthcare system...
Old Jun 13th 2012, 5:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

dlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond repute

It's quite sad, though because America should be seeking to be great again - a world leader but it seems to not want to.
Yes it should. But to do that, it needs to take a much broader, open view of the world. Slightly less patronising, slightly less imperialist.

Example. The rest of the world's governments are currently being measured by two companies, both US based, Moody's and S&P. These companies, both private, declare whether entire countries economies sink or swim.

Now, the history of these two companies are both from the early days of the railways in the US. Railways here were built primarily as short-term investment opportunities and both Moodys and S&P as rating houses were used to try to work out how you were going to make money.

Railways everywhere else in the world were built for different reasons - they were primarily public (eventually in the UK - took a while) and for moving people. They were never seen (again, other than for a short-time in the UK) as an investment opportunity. They were part of national infrastructure.

But, we've let the American short-term investment, money-based culture gauge everywhere else ! They are acting as judge-and-jury in areas that they are ill-equipped to understand.

Now, this wouldn't piss me off quite so much if the majority of Americans were looking round and saying "well, tell me how come life expectancy in Europe has increased so dramatically over the last 20 years where it's dropped in the US" or "explain how the best EU public schools have now overtaken the best US public schools." But they don't. They tell the EU how they are "right" and we are "wrong."

Err - sorry, no.......

And then look at the attitudes to free trade - protectionist policies that keep non-US cars, trains, planes, white-goods out of the US, failed businesses such as United Airlines, GM, allowed to survive through archaic bankruptcy laws, but US-ownership of foreign companies is seen as a right that must be exercised. One rule for us, one rule for them. If Branson or Stelios or Ryan Air were allowed in to the US at 100% ownership, can you imagine the effect on the airlines !!!! You'd see rapid drop in prices, far fewer people standing around doing sweet nothing and a much better services. I suspect they'd even give SouthWest a run for it's money. But, no - that would be un-American. So, meantime, there is gross over-employment with people doing meaningless jobs and that costs everyone.

But, they HAVE to be employed or else there'd be a full-scale health emergency on their hands !!!

There really is a lot that one can like out here. Stunning natural beauty, great architecture, all the rest but it's as if nobody cares to bolster that with upping the standard of living for as many people as can possibly be done for.
Yes there is; but it is undermined when you see your fellow human being treated like dirt and it BEING ACCEPTED AND EXCUSED ! France, Italy, Germany, Spain, Ireland, Scotland all have stunning natural beauty, art and architecture as well......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.