Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What's your LEAST favorite thing about the US?

What's your LEAST favorite thing about the US?

Old Jun 14th 2012, 2:38 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's your LEAST favorite thing about the US?

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
You need shows like we had growing up, with teenagers getting knocked up and people on drugs ****ing their lives up so children realise that it's not all sunshine and unicorn farts in the real world.

No, a bunch of rich teenaged knob-heads who get to do what they want all the time. That sends out a much better message.
A good dose of Grange Hill is what they need I tell ya!
Old Jun 14th 2012, 2:44 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
A good dose of Grange Hill is what they need I tell ya!
That's what I meant. That and Byker Grove, it were right gritty too, like.
Old Jun 14th 2012, 3:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
That would be awesome!

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Nickelodeon.

No wonder we have new generations of shallow air heads with iCarly and Victorious making Spongebob in to the intellectual show on Nickelodeon.
90210 has given my daughter a very skewed idea of how the world works (I know it's not Nickelodeon but the natural progression).
Old Jun 14th 2012, 3:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beaverstate
Neighborhood's change, the couple I've mentioned from 35 years ago I wouldn't want to raise a kid in now. And yes from what I've seen and heard about Oakland, most areas are nearly unlivable.
That's way too much of a generalization. There are many really cool areas of Oakland, especially in the hills, Rockridge, Montclair etc. Oakland certainly has horrible issues, but to tar it all with the same brush is a mistake.
Old Jun 14th 2012, 3:37 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux

90210 has given my daughter a very skewed idea of how the world works (I know it's not Nickelodeon but the natural progression).
Yes I can see that. Nickelodeon for bigger kids.
Old Jun 14th 2012, 3:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

HumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond repute

I'll stick up for the pledge of allegiance. My wife is a teacher who has to recite it every day and has a renewed appreciation for it having lived abroad for so long. I mean you can call it brainwashing but the fact is that nations need these types of rituals to bind people of disparate identities together. You have them in every society - some subtle and some not. Case in point, look how hyped up everyone was over the Jubilee. A bunch of people paying a not insubstantial amount of money in taxes to watch a granny ride a bunch of boats in the pouring rain. But people felt great about it because for those days we felt like a nation. Sure the kids mostly hate it, and the 'under God' part shouldn't be in there, but it is one of those things that help build an American identity out of a nation of immigrants.
Old Jun 14th 2012, 3:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

HumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dlake02
I actually had a great history teacher at school. He taught "British History." He taught how we'd f-ed up every territory that we'd ever had, usually by trying to play one side against the other. He cited Ireland, Palestine, Egypt, Sudan, India, East/West Germany, Malaya as examples of how, rather than try to build consensus and peace, we'd tried to box clever for our own nefarious gains.

He taught us how he thought we had to take ourselves down a peg or two, and try listening rather than imposing solutions.... Only in the last 15 years have I finally seen England (and it is primarily England) start to practice what he was preaching 30+ years ago......
Well - the Empire was in many ways a terrible thing for all sorts of people (famines in Ireland/Bengal, the slave trade, the opium wars, playing ethnic and religious groups off against one another) - but that's a massively one sided view. Bad history teaching in my opinion (did we f-k up New Zealand, Canada & Australia?)

Last edited by HumphreyC; Jun 14th 2012 at 3:53 pm.
Old Jun 14th 2012, 4:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HumphreyC
I'll stick up for the pledge of allegiance.
OK

My wife is a teacher who has to recite it every day ...
No, she doesn't!

... and has a renewed appreciation for it having lived abroad for so long. I mean you can call it brainwashing but the fact is that nations need these types of rituals to bind people of disparate identities together.
Apparently the brainwashing is working ...

... it is one of those things that help build an American identity out of a nation of immigrants.
You don't really believe that do you?
Old Jun 14th 2012, 4:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Well - the Empire was in many ways a terrible thing for all sorts of people (famines in Ireland/Bengal, the slave trade, the opium wars, playing ethnic and religious groups off against one another) - but that's a massively one sided view. Bad history teaching in my opinion (did we f-k up New Zealand, Canada & Australia?)
The native peoples would probably say yes.
Old Jun 14th 2012, 4:15 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

but it is one of those things that help build an American identity out of a nation of immigrants.
and that was one of Bellamy's objectives, to drive a wedge between one generation and another. Anti-family for the greater good.

God I hate that pledge. (none to pleased with the Jubilee either)
Old Jun 14th 2012, 4:18 pm
He/him

Anyway, todays Least favourite thing in the US is.....

Open sewers.
Old Jun 14th 2012, 5:09 pm
Forum Regular

Egon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud of

Well yes but that's kind of the point people are making here - it's been a long time since the British Empire was taught as a good thing in British schools. Even recent proposals to start teaching some of the good things Britain has given the world was shouted down (though admittedly I read the Guardian coverage for my sins)

Contrast that to how American history and identity is frequently taught and perceived here - that's where the annoyance is.
Old Jun 14th 2012, 5:21 pm
He/him

but that's a massively one sided view. Bad history teaching in my opinion (did we f-k up New Zealand, Canada & Australia?)
I am shocked that this view still exists. A bit like me moaning about a burglar and the burglar saying, "Ah but that's just one side of the story, what about me helping to highlight the weaknesses in your security system, and I bet you had been wanting to throw a lot of that stuff out for ages, but you just could not bring yourself to do it; and don't you feel free of the clutches of 'things' now? Come on, admit it, I helped you out"
"Bad history teaching" ? Jesus f**king christ.
Old Jun 14th 2012, 5:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

dlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond repute

(did we f-k up New Zealand, Canada & Australia?)
Errr - YES WE DID !!!

Been to "Ayers Rock" have we ? The original inhabitants are none-too impressed with what we did to them in any of those locations. It's taken a VERY long time for us to say "sorry."

Even recent proposals to start teaching some of the good things Britain has given the world was shouted down
I think that is a fundamental character difference between the US and Europe. I don't have any need to shout about MY/OUR achievements. Frankly it is bad form to self-publicise, and just makes you look like a boasting Mr Richard Head. "Look at me, look at me, look at me !!!!"

But to point out where things are wrong and force/embarrass people into doing what they are paid to do; no problem at all. Otherwise you lapse into a self-congratulatory comotose state.
Old Jun 14th 2012, 5:42 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dlake02
Errr - YES WE DID !!!

Been to "Ayers Rock" have we ? The original inhabitants are none-too impressed with what we did to them in any of those locations. It's taken a VERY long time for us to say "sorry."

I think that is a fundamental character difference between the US and Europe. I don't have any need to shout about MY/OUR achievements. Frankly it is bad form to self-publicise, and just makes you look like a boasting Mr Richard Head. "Look at me, look at me, look at me !!!!"

But to point out where things are wrong and force/embarrass people into doing what they are paid to do; no problem at all. Otherwise you lapse into a self-congratulatory comotose state.
If we hadn't duffed the natives up and taken their country, things would be a disaster in these places - either they would still be throwing spears at each other and boiling up grandma in the pot, or the country would be a province of China with all the freedoms that entails. They should be thanking the Brits on a daily basis for civilising and protecting them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.