Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What's your favorite thing about the US?

Wikiposts

What's your favorite thing about the US?

Old May 25th 2012, 4:57 am
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's your favorite thing about the US?

Originally Posted by coastieexpat
Yes to both

Hows your Mum ?
Thanks for asking - not brilliant to be honest - poor mam!!! I will have been here 10 weeks by the time i get back - blimey!!!!
Old May 25th 2012, 5:14 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Has anyone tried to use their old UK library card and a VPN?
I wonder where my old card might be?
No but .. hesitate to admit it here .. I do maintain a library card collection. I have all my library cards, going back to the 1950s, from all libraries I've ever had borrowing privileges in. (Let me tell you, that dozens of libraries.) Much more interesting than a bottle cap collection or paper clip collection.

Old May 25th 2012, 5:32 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Yes, you can only borrow in your own network with your membership. BUT you should be able to walk into the library in Worcester (say) and get borrowing privileges in that network by showing the requisite proof of MA residence, such as a drivers license etc.
http://www.worcpublib.org/about/getlibrarycard.htm
Any resident of Massachusetts is eligible to apply for a Worcester Public Library Card for free as a first time user. A library card gives borrowing and computer usage privileges at the Main Library and branches and provides remote access to the Library's online resources.
But that ID or proof of address has to show that you live in that county that the network covers, not just the state.

Was the case when we moved into this town and hadn't changed the address on the drivers license from the previous town that was part of the other network at least.
Old May 25th 2012, 6:01 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
But that ID or proof of address has to show that you live in that county that the network covers, not just the state.

Was the case when we moved into this town and hadn't changed the address on the drivers license from the previous town that was part of the other network at least.
No.. any resident of MA is eligible. Read the instructions from Worcester, for instance. You only have to prove that you are an MA resident. (Your town may have been more picky for some reason, but they shouldn't be. If you live in MA, you have the right to join any library in MA.)
Old May 25th 2012, 11:25 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

No.. any resident of MA is eligible. Read the instructions from Worcester, for instance. You only have to prove that you are an MA resident. (Your town may have been more picky for some reason, but they shouldn't be. If you live in MA, you have the right to join any library in MA.)
Hmmm, maybe, but I had this issue with the previous town, they wanted to see mail with our address on it because at that point I still only had a Maine drivers license. So it's not as if our town was the first.

If you're right though, I'll have to go get a library card from the two neighbouring towns because they both have some really good kid events for free that only library card holders can sign up for
Old May 25th 2012, 11:34 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Just thought of a point regarding library cards that might be of interest to some here. When we were sorting out the mortgage, we were told everything was fine, then at the last minute I was asked for more credit history, panicking I could not think of anything else, I was then told to my amazement, to fax my library card info. I suppose it shows I do not keep books forever and not pay the fines; I do not remember it being mentioned anywhere here that a library card might just work as a credit reference.
Old May 25th 2012, 11:46 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Hmmm, maybe, but I had this issue with the previous town, they wanted to see mail with our address on it because at that point I still only had a Maine drivers license. So it's not as if our town was the first.

If you're right though, I'll have to go get a library card from the two neighbouring towns because they both have some really good kid events for free that only library card holders can sign up for
I was only allowed to join the library of the town I live in (had to provide ID to get my card).
The card itself, however, is accepted in any library in the state (CT) now that I have it.

Edit.. Speeling
Old May 27th 2012, 5:56 am
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute

I like the fact that in general, Americans are not afraid of success.

I was involved in a management buy-out attempt many many moons ago. Whilst searching for funding, we found very stark differences between attitudes in the UK and the US.

In the UK the banks didn't understand what the business was - it didn't fit their myopic view of the time - bricks & mortar shop or factory. So having turned us down flat, they still had the temerity to ask for our banking business if we were successful. Wankers!!

With UK venture capitalists we got a 'no' everywhere on the grounds that we'd no record of success.

In the US we were turned down by venture capitalists because we had no record of failure, and therefore had yet to learn what was needed to be learned... Quite refreshing really.

As an aside our day out yesterday to the Desert Botanical Gardens was slightly marred by the rudest bitch mother from hell. Rude bitch. But, you don't have to be American to be a rude bitch. I feel sorry for her kids and husband - I can only presume with some vitriol that she must have some other redeeming features...

That said, I've come across more rudeness since being here than I ever experienced back home. It's hardly a scientific representation as we've also met some incredibly sincere and helpful people - more than experienced back home.
Old May 27th 2012, 8:36 am
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by HarryTheSpider

As an aside our day out yesterday to the Desert Botanical Gardens was slightly marred by the rudest bitch mother from hell. Rude bitch. But, you don't have to be American to be a rude bitch. I feel sorry for her kids and husband - I can only presume with some vitriol that she must have some other redeeming features...

That said, I've come across more rudeness since being here than I ever experienced back home. It's hardly a scientific representation as we've also met some incredibly sincere and helpful people - more than experienced back home.
As far as I recall, I haven't talked to any rude or obnoxious people for at least twenty years. I'm getting selective in my old age.
Old May 27th 2012, 10:06 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

As far as I recall, I haven't talked to any rude or obnoxious people for at least twenty years. I'm getting selective in my old age.
Switching your hearing aid off doesn't count
Old May 28th 2012, 12:40 am
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by Bob
Switching your hearing aid off doesn't count
WHATZATT???
Old May 28th 2012, 5:35 am
Life goes on.

Uncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond repute

Except on here, eh?
Old May 28th 2012, 1:08 pm
Forum Regular

Ruth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice to have a home that's not attached to someone else's home.
Old May 28th 2012, 1:21 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ruth16
Nice to have a home that's not attached to someone else's home.
Uh yes +1 for this, I take a detached house for granted now.
Old May 28th 2012, 1:26 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Uh yes +1 for this, I take a detached house for granted now.
I've always lived in a detached house in the UK, till I lived in the US

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.