Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What's your favorite thing about the US?

What's your favorite thing about the US?

Old May 2nd 2012, 3:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: What's your favorite thing about the US?

My favourite part about the US is walking along a Jetbridge, when boarding a Plane, to go back and visit Blighty.

Jim.
Old May 2nd 2012, 4:04 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's your favorite thing about the US?

Originally Posted by Uncle Ebenezer
Almost everybody will smile and nod or give some kind of greeting.
That just makes me wonder what they want.

/Suspicious Brit
Old May 2nd 2012, 4:11 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
I haven't had issues with politeness either side of the Atlantic. Now, has the UK in recent years succumbed to the thing I see over here now where you can't just walk into a shop to pass a few minutes wandering around before someone jumps out from behind a shelving unit to ask if you need any help? That's a personal thing for me, but I really like being left alone, especially when I'm just having a nose at something because I'm bored waiting for my wife to finish doing something else.

My all time favourite (and maybe this happens in Tesco as well now) is going to the check out with a trolley full of stuff only to be asked "did you find everything you need?". Really, it takes a huge effort for me not to smile and reply with "Actually, no - this is a trolley full of stuff I don't actually need because I'm too ****ing stupid to read the signs above the aisles, now you come to mention it ..."

But I'm a bastard that way, like.
I also hate the 'pouncing' shop assistants. Even worse the ones that even when you've told them you don't need their help...they follow you around the store anyway.
Old May 2nd 2012, 4:14 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I also hate the 'pouncing' shop assistants. Even worse the ones that even when you've told them you don't need their help...they follow you around the store anyway.
That would be annoying. I haven't had that happen to me, luckily.

Do they do that in the UK now too - I am starting to think that might be a product of the times, rather than a geographical thing. Admittedly I never spent much time in shops back home that weren't music shops or bookstores so maybe they did it all along
Old May 2nd 2012, 4:16 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Even worse the ones that even when you've told them you don't need their help...they follow you around the store anyway.
Makes me feel like a shoplifter. All they achieve is to chase me away from anything I might have bought from them.
Old May 2nd 2012, 4:18 pm
Life goes on.

Uncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond repute

That would be annoying. I haven't had that happen to me, luckily.

Do they do that in the UK now too - I am starting to think that might be a product of the times, rather than a geographical thing. Admittedly I never spent much time in shops back home that weren't music shops or bookstores so maybe they did it all along
The shop assistants have no choice in how they act, or the daft questions they ask you. It's all done in the name of "customer satisfaction" - billions of dollars has been spent on research, apparently to formulate the questions that piss customers off the most.
Old May 2nd 2012, 4:21 pm

I assume some of 'em are on commision for sales they make. Being pushy is the last way to get me to buy anything.
Old May 2nd 2012, 4:23 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

So do I!

I also hate it when I can't find something and there isn't one standing immediately in front of me offering to help.
Old May 2nd 2012, 4:23 pm
Life goes on.

Uncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
I assume some of 'em are on commision for sales they make. Being pushy is the last way to get me to buy anything.
If you were paid no salary and had to rely on selling for your income, you'd probably be a little pushy too. That, or starve.
Old May 2nd 2012, 4:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie
So do I!

I also hate it when I can't find something and there isn't one standing immediately in front of me offering to help.
Shop Assistant: "Can I help you, Can I help you?"

Customer: "Yeah - You go look around, and, I'll wait here"
Old May 2nd 2012, 4:27 pm

If you were paid no salary and had to rely on selling for your income, you'd probably be a little pushy too.
No doubt.
Old May 2nd 2012, 4:30 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

The shop assistants have no choice in how they act, or the daft questions they ask you. It's all done in the name of "customer satisfaction" - billions of dollars has been spent on research, apparently to formulate the questions that piss customers off the most.
I'm nice enough to them when approached, of course. A simple "I'm just looking, I'll let you know" works for me. I find people in general to be annoying most of the time though so I'm sort of screwed either way.
Old May 2nd 2012, 4:40 pm
Life goes on.

I find people in general to be annoying most of the time
People reciprocate.
Old May 2nd 2012, 4:44 pm
I have a comma problem

People reciprocate.
Maybe people on this forum do but I tend to keep my interactions with the general public to a minimum.
Old May 2nd 2012, 5:12 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

The countless promotions and other ways to earn air miles and hotel points that means that my family and I will be traveling in style for next to nothing for the forseeable future. There's only a tiny fraction of this available in the UK. New schemes seem to pop up almost every day. It's great!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.