Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What's your favorite thing about the US?

What's your favorite thing about the US?

Old Apr 10th 2012, 11:03 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's your favorite thing about the US?

Originally Posted by cjreisen
Haha, ok, I am sorry to have judged too quickly, I did think it was funny though! Except, Newark is the worst NY metro airport, I prefer LaGuardia, especially since its so close to my apartment on the upper east side! $20 taxi ride? I'll take it!

And what I like about the US is the diversity in every aspect of life. You can experience any climate you like, you can see people of any ethnicity or origin, you can move to 2000 miles away and still be in the same land mass. I love the fact that there is something for everyone here, if you want something and haven't found it, you just haven't looked hard enough. I like the economical diversity, you can visibly see the economical differences in cities as close as NYC, Boston, Washington DC, and Philadelphia. I like the diversity of architecture, how you can see completely different architecture in New England, The Pac Northwest, The Southwest, The mountains, and the southeast. There's just so much diversity here, and I love it. Especially diversity of accents, I love to hear the different American accents.
I chose Newark Airport because I can fly non stop to Manchester from there...and it's only about 30 mins from where I live. So it takes approx 8 hrs from leaving my house here to landing at Manchester.
Old Apr 10th 2012, 11:05 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SATX John
These are things my kids and wife love. Mainly the freedom to do what you want on your own property / land / house.
Not sure about that one, doesn't it depend, I mean lots of people can not even hang the washing out. Though I hear other places you can do what you like short of a nuclear power plant.

Originally Posted by SATX John
More space, lots of room to explore. Ditto on the opportunities for the kids growing up. My wife mentions that constantly.
Room, yes definitely, detached house is almost standard. Nice to have some space between the neighbors.
I hear about the opportunities for kids a lot, but not sure which opportunities are being referenced. What do you think your wife means by it?
Old Apr 10th 2012, 11:52 pm
Forum Regular

MadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond repute

The skiing. Though I depressed the season is pretty much over now. I don't do summer.
Old Apr 10th 2012, 11:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MadRad
The skiing. Though I depressed the season is pretty much over now. I don't do summer.
Mountain biking mate. It gets you through the hard times until the snow comes round again. This year I intend to add kayaking to the list of things that make summer palatable.

Are you a fellow Highlander?
Old Apr 10th 2012, 11:58 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

New England, during either spring or autumn.

There could be worst places to be.
Old Apr 11th 2012, 12:18 am
Forum Regular

Leyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by MadRad
Where in Colorado are you living?

I don't ski but I do climb and the couloir season has been poor this year.

Summer isn't too bad, you get to take the weight of the snow gear off you back and enjoy some nice class 3/4 traverses. FWIW, there are still a few steep lines that are still in for skiing (Hopeful, Dead-dog, Arkansas to name a few).

Anyway, back to the topic.

I just love living in Colorado, I love living just 45min away from the mountains and that I can enjoy them 365 days a year if I choose: everything from ice/snow/rock climbing to mountain biking to fly-fishing high alpine lakes.

I also adore the small mountain towns with only one road in and out that may just have a gas station and a convenience store and even the slightly more populated towns such as Buena Vista and Salida.
Old Apr 11th 2012, 12:28 am
Forum Regular

Scott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond repute

It's the weather for me too. The change from an Arctic-like winter to a sweltering hot summer, with a very tolerable spring and autumn. Coming from Just outside Glasgow, that will never get old.
Old Apr 11th 2012, 12:32 am
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scott33
It's the weather for me too. The change from an Arctic-like winter to a sweltering hot summer, with a very tolerable spring and autumn. Coming from Just outside Glasgow, that will never get old.
You didn't fancy exchanging permanently driech for permanent summer?
Old Apr 11th 2012, 12:35 am
Forum Regular

Chrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond repute

Also being a Scot from just outside Glasgow, a house with a swimming pool is basically the holy grail.
Old Apr 11th 2012, 12:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chrisdc
Also being a Scot from just outside Glasgow, a house with a swimming pool is basically the holy grail.
Hmm, might jump in my pool this evening when I'm done working.
Old Apr 11th 2012, 12:47 am
Forum Regular

Scott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond repute

You didn't fancy exchanging permanently driech for permanent summer?
Driech, drookit, droont rat, Marti Pellow, pissed wet through...call it what you will. I bought the t-shirt (Goretex of course).

I think too much sun would be just as bad. Maybe.
Old Apr 11th 2012, 1:07 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
The...er....er......hang on......er......be with you in a minute........
ah yes......the freedom and bravery.
And the freedom. Don't forget the freedom...
Old Apr 11th 2012, 1:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
And the freedom. Don't forget the freedom...
No one expects the American inquisition!
Old Apr 11th 2012, 1:16 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
No one expects the American inquisition!
Is it free?
Old Apr 11th 2012, 1:17 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Cheap Chinese take out and crap TV

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.