Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What's your Experience~The Immigrant Getting a Job!

What's your Experience~The Immigrant Getting a Job!

Old Jan 21st 2005, 2:32 am
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's your Experience~The Immigrant Getting a Job!

Originally Posted by RoB1833
In the end I sent my resume to the main competitor of the company I was working for in the UK and after two telephone interviews they hired me on a salary better than what I was earning back home and they helped us relocate to Massachusetts.
I see you're right down I-128 from me in Salem. I'm up in Rockport. How are you liking it so far?
Old Jan 21st 2005, 2:37 am
BE Enthusiast

psb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sibsie
I see you're right down I-128 from me in Salem. I'm up in Rockport. How are you liking it so far?

sibsie enlighten me what is arse cake?
Old Jan 21st 2005, 2:40 am
Professional Mover

Location: Derry, NH Via Salem, NH via Ma, NC, ex Manchester, UK.
RoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to behold

So far so good!

The job is working out well, although here I have to actually work and use my brain.

I much prefer the area to NC as well, everything is much closer and more convenient, there's so much more to do and more choice too. Salem and the surrounding towns remind me a lot of home as well which I really like. The weather is a bit nippy though, and shovelling snow at 6am isn't much fun......
Old Jan 21st 2005, 2:44 am
BE Enthusiast

psb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RoB1833
So far so good!

The job is working out well, although here I have to actually work and use my brain.

I much prefer the area to NC as well, everything is much closer and more convenient, there's so much more to do and more choice too. Salem and the surrounding towns remind me a lot of home as well which I really like. The weather is a bit nippy though, and shovelling snow at 6am isn't much fun......
I am from manchester and probably live no more than 80 miles from you now.....been here 20 yrs and had enough
Old Jan 21st 2005, 4:08 am
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by psb182
sibsie enlighten me what is arse cake?
Arse cakes is just one of my sayings but the ACME heart maker only allows four letters per line so I had to miss the "s" off.

Rob, there's a great Brit shop in Peabody if you ever want English stuff. The weather does suck donkey balls but the good thing about the snow is that it means it's warmed up a little. Last night was positively balmy in comparison to the day before. I love the area and Rockport really feels like home now. Just can't wait for summer!
Old Jan 21st 2005, 12:43 pm
Professional Mover

Location: Derry, NH Via Salem, NH via Ma, NC, ex Manchester, UK.
RoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to behold

Arse cakes is just one of my sayings but the ACME heart maker only allows four letters per line so I had to miss the "s" off.

Rob, there's a great Brit shop in Peabody if you ever want English stuff. The weather does suck donkey balls but the good thing about the snow is that it means it's warmed up a little. Last night was positively balmy in comparison to the day before. I love the area and Rockport really feels like home now. Just can't wait for summer!
Do they sell decent bacon???
Old Jan 21st 2005, 12:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

Sibsie: Where is this Brit shop in Peabody? Hubby works there so he could stock the larder on his way back from work.
Old Jan 21st 2005, 1:47 pm
C.G.D.S

Originally Posted by joto
Sibsie: Where is this Brit shop in Peabody? Hubby works there so he could stock the larder on his way back from work.
It's called Union Jack (aren't they all )

I'm not explaining this very well but coming from my end, you turn off I-128 onto Newburyport Turnpike (US-1) towards Topsfield. It's on the left in a parade of shops. It's near the big Mini dealer. You might want to check my directions as I'm notoriously bad.

They did have proper bacon in the freezer last time I was in there. The woman who owns it is Scottish and really lovely. You can get just about any Brit sweetie and choccie and it's decently priced.
Old Jan 21st 2005, 1:51 pm
C.G.D.S

Oh and before I forget, CVS pharmacy round here does proper Mars and Terrys chocolates. I picked up Terrys Chocolate Oranges and Mars Celebrations yesterday. Well it's cold out and I've got the girlies staying over this weekend.
Old Jan 22nd 2005, 2:50 am
Forum Regular

superpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to all

It's called Union Jack (aren't they all )

I'm not explaining this very well but coming from my end, you turn off I-128 onto Newburyport Turnpike (US-1) towards Topsfield. It's on the left in a parade of shops. It's near the big Mini dealer. You might want to check my directions as I'm notoriously bad.

They did have proper bacon in the freezer last time I was in there. The woman who owns it is Scottish and really lovely. You can get just about any Brit sweetie and choccie and it's decently priced.
maps.yahoo.com is your friend

Yes indeedy, I am a smartarse

Pat
Old Jan 22nd 2005, 3:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by superpat
maps.yahoo.com is your friend

Yes indeedy, I am a smartarse

Pat
Old hat! GPS navigation system is an even bigger friend!!