Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to NZ from US

Moving to NZ from US

Old Jan 6th 2005, 9:10 pm
Forum Regular

MattOR is a name known to allMattOR is a name known to allMattOR is a name known to allMattOR is a name known to allMattOR is a name known to allMattOR is a name known to allMattOR is a name known to allMattOR is a name known to allMattOR is a name known to allMattOR is a name known to allMattOR is a name known to all
Default Moving to NZ from US

Hi All,

I am curious to know if anyone on this forum has moved to New Zealand from the US, or are currently living the US and have previously lived in NZ? If so I would love to know how the two countries compare in your opinion. What did you like about NZ compared to the US, and vice versa?
FYI - I am a dual US/UK citizen and my wife is a USC. We are temporarily residing in Chapel Hill, NC and as nice a place as it is, it is not really our cup of tea... We have the opportunity to live in NZ for a year and are giving it some serious consideration.

Cheers,
Matt
Old Jan 6th 2005, 11:10 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Moving to NZ from US

Originally Posted by MattOR
Hi All,

I am curious to know if anyone on this forum has moved to New Zealand from the US, or are currently living the US and have previously lived in NZ? If so I would love to know how the two countries compare in your opinion. What did you like about NZ compared to the US, and vice versa?
FYI - I am a dual US/UK citizen and my wife is a USC. We are temporarily residing in Chapel Hill, NC and as nice a place as it is, it is not really our cup of tea... We have the opportunity to live in NZ for a year and are giving it some serious consideration.

Cheers,
Matt
What have you got to lose? I say go for it!

I've only been to New Zealand on holiday (19 days touring in a camper van; two adults + 3 kids, 2 were ours and our daughter's friend who had moved to Sydney). We had an amazing time in this very beautiful country, we toured both islands during Easter (Autumn) and had fun picking up lots of student backpackers and local hitchhikers...it's such a safe place.

I guess you are possibly going to Auckland if you take the job? Apparently everyone sails there....our Kiwi friends certainly did. We enjoyed the North island which is more populated and has it's own attractions eg. Bay of Islands and Rotorua but we adored the South island, particularly Queenstown which is a great base for doing lots of outdoor activities (I did a tandem skydive there....so did our kids). We drove down to Milford Sound in the Fjiordland.....have you ever heard the sound of silence? It is incredible. If you have ever enjoyed going to the Lake District or the Scottish Highlands then you will adore New Zealand (esp. the South island).

NZ is really like being in Britain in the late sixties/early seventies....people really do still drive old Triumph Heralds and Morris Minors - they make things last out there. The shops close early on Saturday afternoons....even in Christchurch, the capital of the South and likened most to an English city. They have fish and chip shops there but we even found that some of those would close at 7.30pm. The Kiwis are very sporty....and they love their rugby!

You absolutely should go.....if it's only for a year it will fly by so quickly and there is sooo much to see and do there. I wish I could go!

Do it - Do it - Do it!!!!

http://www.purenz.com
Old Jan 7th 2005, 2:11 am
Forum Regular

MattOR is a name known to allMattOR is a name known to allMattOR is a name known to allMattOR is a name known to allMattOR is a name known to allMattOR is a name known to allMattOR is a name known to allMattOR is a name known to allMattOR is a name known to allMattOR is a name known to allMattOR is a name known to all
Default Re: Moving to NZ from US

Thanks for the reply Englishmum. Have heard nothing but glowing reports about NZ so we're off!
I've lived in the US since '96 and most of that time has been in Oregon except for the last two years which were spent in India. I grew up in Scotland and the Isle of Man so I've always been spoiled with beautiful scenery. Only problem with Chapel Hill is that it is too bloody flat...
My wife and I are still spring chickens at the tender age of 32 so we can qualify for a 12 month work visa open to US citizens under the age of 35. Neither of us has a job offer yet but there seems to be plenty of openings in my field all over the country so we wouldn't necessarily have to live in Auckland (but we wouldn't complain if we had to). Many people have compared the South Island to the Pacific Northwest so Queenstown or Christchurch would be our first choice.
How did you find costs in NZ compared to the US?

Originally Posted by Englishmum
What have you got to lose? I say go for it!

I've only been to New Zealand on holiday (19 days touring in a camper van; two adults + 3 kids, 2 were ours and our daughter's friend who had moved to Sydney). We had an amazing time in this very beautiful country, we toured both islands during Easter (Autumn) and had fun picking up lots of student backpackers and local hitchhikers...it's such a safe place.

I guess you are possibly going to Auckland if you take the job? Apparently everyone sails there....our Kiwi friends certainly did. We enjoyed the North island which is more populated and has it's own attractions eg. Bay of Islands and Rotorua but we adored the South island, particularly Queenstown which is a great base for doing lots of outdoor activities (I did a tandem skydive there....so did our kids). We drove down to Milford Sound in the Fjiordland.....have you ever heard the sound of silence? It is incredible. If you have ever enjoyed going to the Lake District or the Scottish Highlands then you will adore New Zealand (esp. the South island).

NZ is really like being in Britain in the late sixties/early seventies....people really do still drive old Triumph Heralds and Morris Minors - they make things last out there. The shops close early on Saturday afternoons....even in Christchurch, the capital of the South and likened most to an English city. They have fish and chip shops there but we even found that some of those would close at 7.30pm. The Kiwis are very sporty....and they love their rugby!

You absolutely should go.....if it's only for a year it will fly by so quickly and there is sooo much to see and do there. I wish I could go!

Do it - Do it - Do it!!!!

http://www.purenz.com
Old Jan 7th 2005, 6:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

You can get away with a lot more liberties with the sheep in NZ than anywhere in the US lol
Old Jan 7th 2005, 10:12 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by doctor scrumpy
You can get away with a lot more liberties with the sheep in NZ than anywhere in the US lol
I'm sure it doesn't compare to the Isle of Man...
Old Jan 22nd 2005, 7:18 pm
GESTAPO

lonsdale is an unknown quantity at this point

l just got back from nz and its bloody expensive there compared to the u.s. l saw tshirts in auckland's kmart for $30