Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What's the truth about working conditions in the US?

What's the truth about working conditions in the US?

Old May 23rd 2008, 12:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's the truth about working conditions in the US?

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Following that argument then presumably you don't agree with taxes paying for schooling, university education, etc, for other peoples children either? But I'm assuming that you'd be perfectly happy for a child that became a doctor who has had education paid for with your taxes to potentially save your life one day?!?

Also, using your own argument, assuming that you drive a car then why should the rest of us pay for it? My taxes would pay for the roads you use, etc, even if I didn't use them. Just as my taxes pay for the NHS despite the fact that we have private healthcare.

Unfortunately you can't pick and choose what taxes you pay for what services
Whatever. I'm quite happy to pay for all services I make use of. Perhaps you should lobby your MP (or equivalent) and complain that only road users should pay for the upkeep of the highway system - fine by me.
Old May 23rd 2008, 12:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
You're a loon mate.
What, got no better response as to how you are personally paying for working mothers kids?

Reread your original statement, and consider who the loon might be.
Old May 23rd 2008, 12:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan725
What, got no better response as to how you are personally paying for working mothers kids?

Reread your original statement, and consider who the loon might be.
I'm voting for you as the loon, today anyway.

Why are you being so nasty, just because he has an opinion you don't agree with?
Old May 23rd 2008, 12:42 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Just a little reminder, its all good and fine to have differences of opinions etc but can the name calling be reined in.

Thanks

Sue
Old May 23rd 2008, 12:42 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym

Why are you being so nasty, just because he has an opinion you don't agree with?
And you stop picking on my mate Dan ...
Old May 23rd 2008, 12:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Because its such a baseless argument. I really can't understand it. He says maternity leave is wrong because he doesn't want to pay for other peoples kids.....so what does that mean? Could it be he'd rather pay for them to be on the dole, so they can raise them without having to work? But then surely he'd be paying more that way?

Makes no sense to me, and the way it was originally worded, I found very insulting.
Old May 23rd 2008, 12:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
And you stop picking on my mate Dan ...
Picking on?

What is this, some sorta boys club now
Old May 23rd 2008, 12:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Dan725
Because its such a baseless argument. I really can't understand it. He says maternity leave is wrong because he doesn't want to pay for other peoples kids.....so what does that mean? Could it be he'd rather pay for them to be on the dole, so they can raise them without having to work? But then surely he'd be paying more that way?

Makes no sense to me, and the way it was originally worded, I found very insulting.
I'm honestly confused here - are you saying the alternative is for the mother to quit work and be on welfare - like that was his suggestion?

I would think it was PAID maternity leave he was referring to, not unpaid.

I personally don't have kids, and won't. And I also wonder about paying for schools, etc. that I get no DIRECT benefit from.

The question becomes then - who is responsible for having and raising kids - the individuals or the entire society?

Taxes for roads, at least here - well almost everyone uses the roads. Either by driving or being a passenger. So that doesn't really seem a good comparison to me.

I do think Americans take a more individualistic view - I do look at having and raising children as a choice. I choose to have dogs - and noone helps me pay to raise them.

Now... the argument can be made that these children are the future of the society (sadly my doggies aren't).

But then the balance becomes - how much is the parent responsible for, and how much is society responsible for. I think it's a fair argument.

Another alternative to the paid maternity leave, is to save up the money until you can afford to have kids and take the time off. Which is what many people do.
Old May 23rd 2008, 1:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sue
Just a little reminder, its all good and fine to have differences of opinions etc but can the name calling be reined in.
There's no problem Sue - that's what the forum ignore list is for, so you can avoid this kind of nonesense. Congrats to Dan for being the first individual onto mine. I suggest he puts me on his (not that I'd see his posts anyway) as there's no point in us "conversing" further.
Old May 23rd 2008, 1:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

I'm honestly confused here - are you saying the alternative is for the mother to quit work and be on welfare - like that was his suggestion?

I would think it was PAID maternity leave he was referring to, not unpaid.
You're right, of course, Tracy. Some people obviously couldn't work that out.
Old May 23rd 2008, 1:13 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Whatever. I'm quite happy to pay for all services I make use of. Perhaps you should lobby your MP (or equivalent) and complain that only road users should pay for the upkeep of the highway system - fine by me.
No, because I have no problem with paying for it, just as I have no problem with paying for the NHS when I don't use it. I will happily pay for things I don't use as I get benefits in other ways that I'm sure others don't use either (such as maternity pay!).

I think most people would agree they get something back from the taxes they pay, but very few people use all public services that taxes are put into - it's just a case that you won't get any benefit from maternity services, but I'm sure you've used others that I haven't so I believe it all evens out in the end.
Old May 23rd 2008, 1:20 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks.

The thing is, it's pretty straightforward that a teacher or school bus driver would be more or less not needed when school's out. I was thinking more about employees who are in other lines of work, like IT (my profession).

Tamms, do you have any idea about the IT workers at your school, what kind of time off they get?
My ex was at the top of the IT food chain for a large city school district (50,000 students) and he did not get the same time off as employees that dealt with kids daily in their jobs. He was NON-union, but his pay was much better pay than those that did and he did have an above-average vacation/sick day/insurance package.

On the other hand our building IT people that take care of the computer labs, grades, teacher PCs, etc. get the same time off that teachers do. These people are usually unionized like the teachers. So, it all depends on the type of IT job you have.
Old May 23rd 2008, 1:23 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

To be honest I've never subscribed to the idea that people should get any maternity/paternity pay.

If people want to have kids that's their choice, why should the rest of us pay for it.
I think you're company has to give you time off; how much depends on your state. (I think minimum is 6 weeks for maternity, don't know because I didn't work when I had mine). However, your employer does not have to continue to pay you when you are gone. They just have to give your job back to you.

Ohio schools usually give 6 weeks paid off and if you need more per doctor's orders you can use your accumulated sick days. Most schools are unionized and these types of benefits are negotiated. Larger districts usually have strong unions. I've been teaching 10 years and have almost 150 days saved up.

Last edited by tamms_1965; May 23rd 2008 at 1:29 pm. Reason: more details
Old May 23rd 2008, 1:23 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Tracym;6384500]I personally don't have kids, and won't. And I also wonder about paying for schools, etc. that I get no DIRECT benefit from. [QUOTE]

You may not now but you will in 30 years time when the children currently at school are your dentist, lawyer, nurse, doctor, surgeon, etc, etc. So I would respectfully disagree and say that in fact you will get direct benefit from their education in the future.

Oh, and in the UK, you can get assistance with raising dogs as well as children - there are schemes for those on low incomes to receive free or subsidised vet treatment etc!!

Old May 23rd 2008, 1:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Another alternative to the paid maternity leave, is to save up the money until you can afford to have kids and take the time off. Which is what many people do.
Having Kids is (usually) a choice, absolutely - completely fine with that. Save up money for them so you can take time off.....not always viable. And, we then get into what sort of future you want to provide for your kids, etc. If the mom has (or chooses) to work - what's wrong with that?

But I have still not seen a decent explanation or counter argument as to why, exactly, and I quote "If people want to have kids that's their choice, why should the rest of us pay for it"

He isn't paying for it. The only thing I can think is that he is thinking is that if a work colleague of his is off work on maternity leave, he'll have to pick up some work, thus "paying for it". But, what happens if he, for example breaks a leg or something - that same colleague who was off on maternity leave is then "Paying for his broken leg".

As I said, his argument was, well, not a viable one. And instead of qualifying it, he's put me on "ignore". Maybe I should not have been so abrupt in the first place, true, but the fact remains I have not yet seen as to how, exactly, he pays for working mothers kids.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.