Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What's the procedure behind getting a driving license in the states?

Wikiposts

What's the procedure behind getting a driving license in the states?

Old Nov 6th 2016, 4:02 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's the procedure behind getting a driving license in the states?

Originally Posted by Rete
She can add you to her existing policy. My husband was added to my GEICO policy with his Canadian driver's license without a problem. He then updated it when he converted the license to a NYS one. For me it was a matter of a swap rather than having to redo the testing. Have your wife call her insurance company and find out the what the policy/procedure is for adding you.
This!
Originally Posted by Orangepants
Our policies are for the named insured person plus any driver over 25.
That's what I was going to say - the then-future Mrs P's (standard US) insurance policy covered me to drive her car with her permission even before we were married. That said it would be sensible to have her add you (Tom) to her policy as a named driver ASAP.
Originally Posted by kodokan
The 'any driver' bit normally only applies to those not actually living in your own household, don't they? I've had policies with State Farm and Erie, and that's they've both worked: the vehicle is insured for largely anyone, but you still have to name people living in the household and designate a majority driver, etc.
I believe this is most likely to be true.

Last edited by Pulaski; Nov 6th 2016 at 4:05 am.
Old Nov 10th 2016, 8:05 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's the procedure behind getting a driving license in the states?

The 'any driver' bit normally only applies to those not actually living in your own household, don't they? I've had policies with State Farm and Erie, and that's they've both worked: the vehicle is insured for largely anyone, but you still have to name people living in the household and designate a majority driver, etc.
Usually from our experience in MA/ME, it covers anyone in the household who is licensed to drive.

Learners and the like, you have to notify them. So johny foreigner, it's best to let them know if you're driving the car without a state license.
Old Nov 10th 2016, 8:19 am
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Usually from our experience in MA/ME, it covers anyone in the household who is licensed to drive.

Learners and the like, you have to notify them. So johny foreigner, it's best to let them know if you're driving the car without a state license.
Learners... we have a 16 with a temp permit learning to drive, and my insurers said they're not interested until he gets his license. Then we can look forward to about $450-500 a year more, bah.

They've also said previously that my visiting parents can drive my car on their UK licenses, as long as they're only visiting and haven't actually moved in; that's when we got into the conversation about household members/ drivers being named.
Old Nov 10th 2016, 8:26 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Learners... we have a 16 with a temp permit learning to drive, and my insurers said they're not interested until he gets his license. Then we can look forward to about $450-500 a year more, bah.

They've also said previously that my visiting parents can drive my car on their UK licenses, as long as they're only visiting and haven't actually moved in; that's when we got into the conversation about household members/ drivers being named.
Down my way, once someone is of age to drive, insurance goes up about a grand a year regardless if they have a license or you let them drive or not but if they're over 21 you can opt to not cover them, so not have that surcharge.

It's a bit horrid.