Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What's the procedure behind getting a driving license in the states?

What's the procedure behind getting a driving license in the states?

Old Nov 2nd 2016, 10:53 pm
Just Joined

Averon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What's the procedure behind getting a driving license in the states?

I'm moving to Seattle in a few months and I wanted to know about the process behind getting a driving license in the states. I have a license in the UK. Is there anyway I can use that or do I have to get a new license?
Old Nov 2nd 2016, 11:21 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's the procedure behind getting a driving license in the states?

You need a new one. Google "DMV Washington State"

Rene
Old Nov 3rd 2016, 12:10 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's the procedure behind getting a driving license in the states?

Originally Posted by Averon
I'm moving to Seattle in a few months and I wanted to know about the process behind getting a driving license in the states. I have a license in the UK. Is there anyway I can use that or do I have to get a new license?
The Washington State DMV will tell you how long you have to get a local license, but be aware the longest any state gives is 90 days, and 30 days is very common. It's 10 days in California.

Please don't confuse the federal government rules with each state's rules. Once you become resident in a state (typically deemed when you rent/buy a house, start work, put your children in school etc.) the clock starts ticking for you to get a local state license. The federal government rules only apply to visitors who will be driving from state to state without ever taking up residence. In short: you do not have 12 months to get a license!
Old Nov 3rd 2016, 12:17 am
Just Joined

Averon is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pulaski
The Washington State DMV will tell you how long you have to get a local license, but be aware the longest any state gives is 90 days, and 30 days is very common. It's 10 days in California.

Please don't confuse the federal government rules with each state's rules. Once you become resident in a state (typically deemed when you rent/buy a house, start work, put your children in school etc.) the clock starts ticking for you to get a local state license. The federal government rules only apply to visitors who will be driving from state to state without ever taking up residence. In short: you do not have 12 months to get a license!
So as soon as I start working I'll have a couple weeks to get a driving license?
Old Nov 3rd 2016, 12:34 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

So as soon as I start working I'll have a couple weeks to get a driving license?
Starting work doesn't have anything to do with it. Did you check the website to see what's required? Some states require you to have your SSN. Some states require other stuff.

Rene
Old Nov 3rd 2016, 12:48 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

What do you think I meant when I said "The Washington State DMV will tell you ...."?

Never mind, let me Google that for you.

Towards the bottom of the page I linked is a link to another page marked "If you're from another country, which you must read.

Everything you need to know is there, on those two linked pages. ..... And you have 30 days after becoming resident, which, given that you will need to take a road test, is probably unrealistic, but you must ensure that you can demonstrate that you are making your best endeavors to get your license ASAP, so get your learners permit, take the computer/classroom training, and book a test date.

The road test will be embarrassingly easy, some would call it a joke, but so long as you treat it seriously you should find it very easy, so long as you keep the car on the road, keep to the speed limits, stop at the STOP signs, and don't run down more than one pedestrian, will likely be passed. The classroom/ computer test (not sure exactly what it is in Washington state), will probably focus on some idiosyncratic questions on blood alcohol, drink driving penalties, and speed limits, so read up on the manual/ web site for the relevant learners information.

Last edited by Pulaski; Nov 3rd 2016 at 1:05 am.
Old Nov 3rd 2016, 1:44 pm
Sasstronaut

livinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond repute

and don't run down more than one pedestrian, will likely be passed.
So *thats* why my examiner yelled at me, one is the golden rule. Not 5. Still passed though.

The classroom/ computer test (not sure exactly what it is in Washington state), will probably focus on some idiosyncratic questions on blood alcohol, drink driving penalties, and speed limits, so read up on the manual/ web site for the relevant learners information.
Yup, As Pulaski said, if Washington State is anything like NY State, the written test will focus on your knowledge of road signs, blood alcohol limits as well as some stuff that may be specific to the state (motorbikes, cities.etc). Flashing red lights on traffic lights mean treat as a stop sign, flashing amber means yield.etc (Just saying this as when I first came here I thought a flashing red light meant the traffic lights were down).

Oh and School buses if they flash amber, back off/slow down. Flash red - stop. Never challenge one to a street race.
Old Nov 3rd 2016, 1:59 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by livinginnyc;12094675

Oh and [B
School buses[/B] if they flash amber, back off/slow down. Flash red - stop. .
When I see a bus with its amber lights on, I motor past as quickly as I can before the damn thing puts its red lights on.
Old Nov 3rd 2016, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by livinginnyc
... Oh and School buses if they flash amber, back off/slow down. Flash red - stop. Never challenge one to a street race.
Yeah, school buses are a PITA - some drivers seem to want to play games with drivers - leaving the lights yellow for what seems like an age, then turning them to red at the last minute. .... This is highly unlikely to be an issue during the test, but if in doubt slow down and stop before the driver turns the lights red. .... For the written test, know the state-specific rules; in NC traffic in both directions must stop on two, three (centre turn lane) and four lane roads, but on dual carriageways (traffic in opposite directions separated by a barrier, raised curb, or grass) only traffic in the same direction has to stop, but the twist (in NC) is that five lane roads (centre turn lane) follow the dual carriageway rule, and only traffic travelling in the same direction as the bus is required to stop. .... Unfortunately I sometimes get caught up in traffic stopped unnecessarily under exactly this circumstance.
Old Nov 3rd 2016, 3:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

.. in NC traffic in both directions must stop on two, three (center turn lane) and four lane roads,
Same in GA but the greatest danger is being hit from behind if you stop, because the vast majority of drivers don't take any notice and probably don't even see that there is a school bus three or four lanes over on the opposite side.
Old Nov 3rd 2016, 3:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by livinginnyc
Flashing red lights on traffic lights mean treat as a stop sign, flashing amber means yield.
Flashing amber means proceed with caution - don't have to stop or yield to another vehicle entering from a cross street. Flashing red means stop and then proceed when you can. In my area, we most often see flashing amber when the cross street is on flashing red. This is usually because the normal traffic light sequence has been suspended for the overnight hours with the more busy street getting the flashing amber while the less busy street gets the flashing red. Sometimes it happens when the traffic signals are malfunctioning and they get placed into this configuration until the problem is resolved.
Old Nov 3rd 2016, 4:33 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, school buses are a PITA - some drivers seem to want to play games with drivers - leaving the lights yellow for what seems like an age, then turning them to red at the last minute. ....
Yes, they can be, particularly when you are trying to get to the office on time or make the morning train and you sit and sit and sit while the driver is talking to a parent after the kid is on the bus and the lights are still flashing.

While I use to hate the inconvenience, I always stop and will continue to do so as several years back, two children (separate occasions) were run down and killed when a driver was impatient and went around the bus just as the kids stepped out from in front of it. One of the parents was on our bowling league and his face is what I see when I hear the horns blowing impatiently behind me. Two or five minutes of my time, a missed train, or appointment is worth the life of a child.

Last edited by Rete; Nov 3rd 2016 at 4:35 pm.
Old Nov 3rd 2016, 4:53 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
Same in GA but the greatest danger is being hit from behind if you stop, because the vast majority of drivers don't take any notice and probably don't even see that there is a school bus three or four lanes over on the opposite side.
It's a ****ing insane rule IMO. If a bus is on the other side of the road, I will keep going, unless it's a B road.
Old Nov 3rd 2016, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by Rete
Yes, they can be, particularly when you are trying to get to the office on time or make the morning train and you sit and sit and sit while the driver is talking to a parent after the kid is on the bus and the lights are still flashing.

While I use to hate the inconvenience, I always stop and will continue to do so as several years back, two children (separate occasions) were run down and killed when a driver was impatient and went around the bus just as the kids stepped out from in front of it. One of the parents was on our bowling league and his face is what I see when I hear the horns blowing impatiently behind me. Two or five minutes of my time, a missed train, or appointment is worth the life of a child.
I agree with the principle, but some (not all) of the drivers are a-holes.

In NC a lot of the buses have cameras, and I believe there is a plan for all school buses to have cameras fitted. If you drive past one with a camera you can look forward to a fine and five points on your license! It is rare to see anyone drive past a stopped school bus in NC. I remember a child was killed a few years ago in a rural area by someone who blew past a stopped school bus, and just a few days ago a mother stepped into the road to talk to the driver after her children had boarded and the red lights had been turned off, and was hit and killed, ironically by a teacher on her way to school. No charges were filed.
Originally Posted by hungryhorace
It's a ****ing insane rule IMO. If a bus is on the other side of the road, I will keep going, unless it's a B road.
You'd likely get 5 points on your license in NC - a lot of buses are equipped with cameras.

The reason for the rule is perfectly sensible, because buses pick up and set down children on both sides of most roads, so there is a 50:50 chance that a stopped bus is for child crossing the road. Even if only from the selfish perspective of yourself, your license, and your insurance, passing a stopped bus is reckless.

Last edited by Pulaski; Nov 3rd 2016 at 5:25 pm.
Old Nov 3rd 2016, 7:55 pm
Forum Regular

Asg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond repute

some drivers seem to want to play games with drivers - leaving the lights yellow for what seems like an age, then turning them to red at the last minute. ....
They have to follow their instructions- in CA they have to start their ambers 200ft before the stop.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.