Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What's the procedure behind getting a driving license in the states?

Wikiposts

What's the procedure behind getting a driving license in the states?

Old Nov 5th 2016, 3:18 am
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's the procedure behind getting a driving license in the states?

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
It's a ****ing insane rule IMO. If a bus is on the other side of the road, I will keep going, unless it's a B road.
Doing so in my opinion is a selfish act fraught with danger. If you kill some kid you can explain to the judge how you don't like th rule and maybe get less of a prison sentence. You will of course also lose everything you own or will own in a civil lawsuit.
Old Nov 5th 2016, 8:51 am
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's the procedure behind getting a driving license in the states?

Originally Posted by ddsrph
Doing so in my opinion is a selfish act fraught with danger. If you kill some kid you can explain to the judge how you don't like th rule and maybe get less of a prison sentence. You will of course also lose everything you own or will own in a civil lawsuit.
Here's a road I never stop for the school bus on. https://goo.gl/maps/ioRFfxqt7fK2

I will be travelling in the opposite direction, on this huge road. The bus will stop to collect the kids from that apartment complex, and traffic just stops BOTH SIDES. It's insanely unnecessary. If a bus is stopped and I am on the opposite side, I continue on with caution. Simple.
Old Nov 5th 2016, 9:15 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a road I never stop for the school bus on. https://goo.gl/maps/ioRFfxqt7fK2

I will be travelling in the opposite direction, on this huge road. The bus will stop to collect the kids from that apartment complex, and traffic just stops BOTH SIDES. It's insanely unnecessary. If a bus is stopped and I am on the opposite side, I continue on with caution. Simple.
Looks like there's a concrete median dividing the road. My understanding is that in this case, you don't need to stop. You only need to stop if there's no median.

Rene
Old Nov 5th 2016, 9:25 am
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a road near where I used to live in AZ, which is 5 lanes wide (center turning lane) and used to periodically come to a screaming halt around 3-4pm on weekdays. I used to make sure I wasn't driving along it then; it's much busier than the Streetview photo suggests.

2641-2653 E McKellips Rd, Mesa, AZ 85213
https://goo.gl/maps/KCSQq3hwN8x

(Hope the link works; couldn't figure out how to go straight to the pic like HH did.)
Old Nov 5th 2016, 10:06 am
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kodokan
Here's a road near where I used to live in AZ, which is 5 lanes wide (center turning lane) and used to periodically come to a screaming halt around 15-16h on weekdays.
I just think its ridiculous. American traffic rules are designed for the lowest common denominator. There is no intelligence, nor thought put into the rules. It is simply 'lets compel people to all do this, because we don't think people are smart enough to use their own judgement'.

I have _never_ witnessed traffic stopping for school coaches in the UK, yet we don't have a record of kids being hit do we? Nope.
Old Nov 5th 2016, 12:01 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Regardless, you are not currently driving in the UK but in the US. The US/State/City laws of road usage are to be obeyed by all drivers.

You are by all means entitled to your opinion but it does not mean you have the legal right to disobey the law just because you think it is stupid or it is not done in the country you were raised in.
Old Nov 5th 2016, 12:02 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Rete
Regardless, you are not currently driving in the UK but in the US. The US/State/City laws of road usage are to be obeyed by all drivers.

You are by all means entitled to your opinion but it does not mean you have the legal right to disobey the law just because you think it is stupid or it is not done in the country you were raised in.
I frequently refuse to observe US driving norms or laws. They're broken.
Old Nov 5th 2016, 12:27 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

I just think its ridiculous. American traffic rules are designed for the lowest common denominator. There is no intelligence, nor thought put into the rules. It is simply 'lets compel people to all do this, because we don't think people are smart enough to use their own judgement'.

I have _never_ witnessed traffic stopping for school coaches in the UK, yet we don't have a record of kids being hit do we? Nope.
I've never seen a situation in the UK where a small child gets off a school bus and then crosses in front of the bus to the other side of the road while the driver waits. That is why it is essential for drivers coming in both directions to stop.
Old Nov 5th 2016, 1:12 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I just think its ridiculous. American traffic rules are designed for the lowest common denominator. There is no intelligence, nor thought put into the rules. It is simply 'lets compel people to all do this, because we don't think people are smart enough to use their own judgement'. ....
I think that, based on my observations of American drivers "in action", that is, unfortunately, a fair assessment.

Even more unfortunately, those who would most benefit from following the rules are those most likely to ignore them, your good self excepted, of course.

Lots of laws are broken by lots of people in the US, and many accidents, and more than a few fatalities are the result of such idiocy. I am not averse to breaking one or two of the stupid ones when (i) no harm will be done, and (ii) the cops aren't around. .... STOP signs on quiet country roads where a Yield sign would suffice, being a common example. .... Jay walking laws on deserted streets or between cars stopped at traffic lights being another. However passing school buses is not an example because a stopped school bus necessarily means there are children near or in the road, and don't need points on my license - no matter how careful I am, one stupid mistake by a child could see me facing prison time!

Last edited by Pulaski; Nov 5th 2016 at 1:25 pm.
Old Nov 6th 2016, 1:02 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

On the practical side as I'm looking at this in NC.

Would I need to get insurance on my other half's car against my UK licence, take the test and then update the insurance for my new licence?
Old Nov 6th 2016, 2:14 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom169

Would I need to get insurance on my other half's car against my UK licence, take the test and then update the insurance for my new licence?
You can't drive without insurance, especially taking a road test, so you will need insurance first, yes. But when you say "my other half's car"....does that car not already have insurance?

Rene
Old Nov 6th 2016, 2:17 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

She can add you to her existing policy. My husband was added to my GEICO policy with his Canadian driver's license without a problem. He then updated it when he converted the license to a NYS one. For me it was a matter of a swap rather than having to redo the testing. Have your wife call her insurance company and find out the what the policy/procedure is for adding you.
Old Nov 6th 2016, 3:00 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
You can't drive without insurance, especially taking a road test, so you will need insurance first, yes. But when you say "my other half's car"....does that car not already have insurance?

Rene
The car does have insurance currently. It's what she uses for commuting to work.

She can add you to her existing policy. My husband was added to my GEICO policy with his Canadian driver's license without a problem. He then updated it when he converted the license to a NYS one. For me it was a matter of a swap rather than having to redo the testing. Have your wife call her insurance company and find out the what the policy/procedure is for adding you.
I'll ask her to phone up the insurance company and see what they say.
Old Nov 6th 2016, 3:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

The car does have insurance currently. It's what she uses for commuting to work.

I'll ask her to phone up the insurance company and see what they say.
Our policies are for the named insured person plus any driver over 25.
Old Nov 6th 2016, 4:00 am
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Orangepants
Our policies are for the named insured person plus any driver over 25.
The 'any driver' bit normally only applies to those not actually living in your own household, don't they? I've had policies with State Farm and Erie, and that's they've both worked: the vehicle is insured for largely anyone, but you still have to name people living in the household and designate a majority driver, etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.