Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What's happened to the Beeb?

What's happened to the Beeb?

Old Sep 25th 2005, 4:57 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute
Default What's happened to the Beeb?

I've always liked getting my news from the BBC. But within the last year or so, and particularly the last six months, it seems like the BBC (particularly the web site) is i) becoming very opinionated especially with US-sourced news; ii) becoming less accurate with facts; iii) getting rather sloppy in its journalistic style and editing.

Am I the only one sensing this, or have I just been in the US too long?
Old Sep 25th 2005, 5:07 am
Forum Regular

jackpetj is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What's happened to the Beeb?

I agree entirely with your observations. We recently returned to UK (8 yrs in US) and noticed the same thing about two years ago, if not more.
I actually wrote a letter of complaint about one paricular news reader who was so unprofessional that she actually smiled after each story - even after reading about people dying in various tragedies. I don't know whether it did any good, or perhaps confirmed the same opinions of others but she was changed out.
The broadcasts also within themselves are biased. I have noticed the same thing now that we have returned to the UK - particularly biased against the US. It is only after living in the US for so many years that we can actually identify this bias. The people in UK do not realize the slant being put on stories, and take them as gospel.
I have really taken on board the expression "there are always two sides to every story!"
Rgds
PJ
Old Sep 25th 2005, 7:05 am
BE Enthusiast

SANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really nice

Originally Posted by jackpetj
The people in UK do not realize the slant being put on stories, and take them as gospel.
PJ
Yes they do. Or rather some do. Even my usually even handed wife has become to realise the poor quality and utterly miss-represented view of the world that comes out of the UK. It would take a blind idiot without hearing to not put the last 7/8 years in relation to the growing 'policed, sanitized and lied to country' the UK has become.
Old Sep 25th 2005, 7:11 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

It's nice to get a view of issues outside of the US Media, now that is sanitused and bland to say the least.

I listen more to the BBC Radio, rather than read the web site, which can be poor in some areas.

Obviously there are some issues that are mis stated and I now know better, but then I could say the same about any outlet.

Amusingly there seems more National US news on the BBC than there is on the US Radio system.
Old Sep 25th 2005, 7:38 am
Winterwords

Originally Posted by jackpetj
I actually wrote a letter of complaint about one paricular news reader who was so unprofessional that she actually smiled after each story - even after reading about people dying in various tragedies.
I think the newsreader you're referring to is often parodied by political satirists for smiling after a story.

On the topic, personally I would rather have my BBC News & C4 news than all the crap they show on Fox & the like. US media is terrible, it's lost a lot of it's bite unless it concerns internal affairs. I guess my feelings are that until the US cleans up its act internationally (Kyoto agreement, illegal war on Iraq & motivation behind it), how can the European media make shit smell like roses?

Last edited by Winterwords; Sep 25th 2005 at 7:40 am.

Old Sep 25th 2005, 9:04 am
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
I've always liked getting my news from the BBC. But within the last year or so, and particularly the last six months, it seems like the BBC (particularly the web site) is i) becoming very opinionated especially with US-sourced news; ii) becoming less accurate with facts; iii) getting rather sloppy in its journalistic style and editing.

Nice to see you on here, but do youi want to use your real name Rupert Murdoch ?
Old Sep 25th 2005, 4:22 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by doctor scrumpy
Nice to see you on here, but do youi want to use your real name Rupert Murdoch ?

Yeah, well, don't get me wrong - I still go to BBC first. I appreciate the fact that they are willing to cover stories considered untouchable over here. And that they don't give the Bush administration spin on everything. It's just getting a little disheartening to see their broadcasters stumbling over names they would have perfected a couple of years ago, getting simple facts wrong, and injecting opinion where it's not needed. US news sources love to tell you how they're there to 'help you understand the news' because we're all a bunch of frickin idiots. I'm just praying that the BBC doesn't go there, and pull out some Diane Sawyer to put a pouty face on each and every human interest story.
Old Sep 25th 2005, 4:59 pm
Time Lord

dgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond repute

I can't see it myself.
The whole Blair/Murdoch thing was particularly amusing, because while they were critical of the coverage of Katrina, they failed to mention that the majority of the US networks were far more critical of the governments response than the BBC were. For me the story said far more about Tony Blair's relationship with Rupert Murdoch than it did about any so-called anti-US bias at the BBC.
Nearly every single claim within the media of the BBC being anti-US has come either directly from Rupert Murdoch, or from someone associated with News International. And it's pretty much common knowledge that Murdoch has a very deep loathing for the BBC and everything it stands for.
I know people over here on both sides of the political spectrum, who are turning to news sources like the BBC to get coverage of national and international news stories. Not a single one has complained that the BBC is anti-US.
Old Sep 25th 2005, 5:36 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, well, don't get me wrong - I still go to BBC first. ... I'm just praying that the BBC doesn't go there, and pull out some Diane Sawyer to put a pouty face on each and every human interest story.

I agree. These days I get most of my BBC news via public radio, i.e. BBC World Service. There is a world of difference between those reports and what I see on TV when I go home. In fact I'm often dismayed when I watch BBC news programmes when I'm visiting the UK. So much is dumbing down and clearly modelled on US news formats.
Old Sep 26th 2005, 3:15 am
Forum Regular

Minty will become famous soon enoughMinty will become famous soon enough

My personal opinion, the BBC is streets ahead of any other national news service. I read the BBC news everyday and subscribe to their broadband service. Despite their "flaws" there is no other service which I consider even comes close. Unless you know better ..... ?

Minty
Old Sep 26th 2005, 4:34 am
Powder Maggot

Originally Posted by Minty
My personal opinion, the BBC is streets ahead of any other national news service.
And I want to see them stay that way, which is why I am a little concerned about them.
Old Sep 26th 2005, 4:36 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

There's no doubt that the BBC is preferrable to US media, but the OP was saying he'd noticed a slide in the quality of coverage and a change to anti-US bias, not that the BBC was all-in-all horrible. I can't really compare other than to say that yes, over the last few years the anti-US bias has become stronger, but quality wise.... not enough experience.

I also listen to NPR's news here in the US. Perhaps the best American-based news to be had. A definite liberal bias though they seem to at least report the conservative viewpoint without heaping insults onto it or conservatives.
Old Sep 26th 2005, 11:28 am
Forum Regular

mrcusa has a brilliant futuremrcusa has a brilliant futuremrcusa has a brilliant futuremrcusa has a brilliant futuremrcusa has a brilliant futuremrcusa has a brilliant futuremrcusa has a brilliant futuremrcusa has a brilliant future

The BBC was heavily criticised and the Director General was replaced and other staff sacked over the accusations that the UK government had "sexed up" allegations against Iraq to provide justification for the invasion.

Is there anyone out there who thinks the UK Government was right about its claims about Iraq, and the BBC was wrong?

I think the BBC in a wonderful organisation that provides excellent programmes and great news coverage.

I have just returned from the UK and sat down last night in front of the TV in Florida and watched the news. UGH!!!!
Old Sep 27th 2005, 5:48 am
Get em out by Friday

tony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Minty
My personal opinion, the BBC is streets ahead of any other national news service. I read the BBC news everyday and subscribe to their broadband service. Despite their "flaws" there is no other service which I consider even comes close. Unless you know better ..... ?

Minty
I agree. It's the best around.
Love that avatar by the way. Speaking of the beeb and your avatar. Has anyone noticed that they don't show any Laurel and Hardy on telly over here? I miss the L&H shorts on BBC2.