Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Leaving the UK

Leaving the UK

Old Sep 25th 2005, 8:44 am
Just Joined

londonerdanny will become famous soon enoughlondonerdanny will become famous soon enough
Question Leaving the UK

I'm halfway through the process of getting a K1 Visa and have just been approved (so far) from the Nebraska Service Centre
I think we (me and fiancee) have got the Visa application under control as there is SO much advise out there and we are looking at me coming to the US in March '06
However I can't find any links or forums regarding "LEAVING the UK". I mean, I can't just quit my job, grab a one way flight and leave (can I ?) what about my pension, tax, my flat (that I'm leaving to rent out) and loads of other things that I'm sure I've not even aware of just yet !
I don't want to cut all my ties in the UK - we may choose to come back here when my fiancees daughter turn 16/18 - is there a way that I can 'leave things on hold' in the UK ?
How did all you ex-pats leave things after you left ?
A useful link would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Danny
Old Sep 25th 2005, 3:45 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Leaving the UK

Originally Posted by londonerdanny
I'm halfway through the process of getting a K1 Visa and have just been approved (so far) from the Nebraska Service Centre
I think we (me and fiancee) have got the Visa application under control as there is SO much advise out there and we are looking at me coming to the US in March '06
However I can't find any links or forums regarding "LEAVING the UK". I mean, I can't just quit my job, grab a one way flight and leave (can I ?) what about my pension, tax, my flat (that I'm leaving to rent out) and loads of other things that I'm sure I've not even aware of just yet !
I don't want to cut all my ties in the UK - we may choose to come back here when my fiancees daughter turn 16/18 - is there a way that I can 'leave things on hold' in the UK ?

Thanks,
Danny
I'll move this to the USA Forum where the expats hang out.
Old Sep 25th 2005, 3:54 pm
Winterwords

Remember to keep up your National Insurance payments (I'm sure someone will post the link for more info here, I'm not sure what it is).

Good luck.

Old Sep 25th 2005, 10:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks,
Danny
I remember looking for such a site too, don't think one exists that I could find anyways! As far as your flat in the UK, sounds like you have already decided to rent that out - even although it can be expensive, unless it is to someone you know and trust, I would use a rental agency - at least that way there is somone to keep an eye on the property. Renting obviously has its pros and cons - I just sold my house in the UK but had major problems with the tenant paying on time throught - if I used an agency I am sure they could have helped me deal with this. Also, I would strongly consider renting it unfurnished unless you have no other option. Reason I say that is, if you decided or had to go back you don't want your stuff getting trashed or stolen (the lovely tenant I had made off with everything the day before I had people due to pick it up to distribute to friends etc). If you do leave it behind, make sure you have an inventory of everything that is in there and ensure that the council tax and utilities are out of your name before you leave and check with your mortgage company that you can in fact rent it out. You require permission from most lenders.

As for tax, just call the Inland Revenue before you leave and give them your US address. You will have to fill out a UK tax return and perhaps pay tax on any profit you make on renting.

As someone else mentioned, you may want to look into continuing to pay NI contributions, something I had never even thought about!

As for your job, flight etc... I guess once your visa is in place and you set a date to leave, you hand in your notice, book your flight and off you go

Good luck!
Old Sep 26th 2005, 5:05 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Renting Tax, see Inland Revenue web site for info.

You can get your rent paid gross but will need to declare to both US and UK authorities.

Job, well that depends on notice period/ mutual agreement I guess, assuming you wish to leave in good grace.

Flight, something for when you have Visa in hand.

Some extra thoughts:

Get an American Express Credit card, they will normally transfer to a US account when you move.

Put any accounts, bank, investment etc on line if you can.

You will need a UK forwarding address if poss for some stuff that will not take a US address, I use my Brother's. I would keep at least one CC with a UK address.

Some Staes will take your UK Driving License when you apply for a US one, most are not a problem. Bring a request for duplicate form if yours is at risk. If you have the old paper one, I would get the Euro version as it gives you photo ID.
Old Sep 26th 2005, 9:24 am
Forum Regular

Piccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nice

Thanks,
Danny

Hi I'm the other type of expat. Abroad for two or three years at a time.

One thing I would recommend you start to do now while you are waiting. make a note of who sends you mail. Insurance companies etc AA RACQ etc. It is amazing how much mail we receive even when we think we have covered everyone. Inform everyone of your new address or a relatives address. Redirect your mail for first six months at the PO. Go online for banking but remember the maximum you can move at one time may be only £2000. When you inform your bank of your change of address remember that does not usually cover any bumff they send out as that usually comes from Head Offices etc.

Rent received: tax need only be paid on any profit received after any mortgage paid or repairs done. Easier to rent out with white goods only.

Pay your class 3? Nat Ins. this is not very much and goes towards your state pension but nothing else.

Tell your doctor although I have always manage to stay on their records my husband has had to reapply.

There is a number you can ring to try and stop all the rubbish mail that comes thru your door. Start it now as it will take about 3 months to kick in.

Rates are normally paid by tenant but if your leave house empty you will still be liable for part of the rates.

TVLicence and DVLC the list is endless. Start now!
Old Sep 26th 2005, 9:46 am
Forum Regular

Francisco has a brilliant futureFrancisco has a brilliant futureFrancisco has a brilliant futureFrancisco has a brilliant futureFrancisco has a brilliant futureFrancisco has a brilliant future

The suggestions made about all the mail we receive is a very important one. The potential for identity theft/fraud is scary so take action to minimise it. We are due to leave UK next month so I have a list (getting longer every day) of lots of companies that contact me. Junk mail needs to stopped or minimised, otherwise tenants will likely throw it in the bin (we shread anything with our names and address on it). It is easy for someone to apply for credit in your name with just a few basic details.

I have also prepared on my pc a standard letter which will be going out to as many companies as possible. Some will include a US address, others will include a UK forwarding address. Then when you have the details, print lots of them out and send off.

As already mentioned, a managing agent for renting your flat could save you lots of heartache. We used to own a furnished house with a tenant who also nicked our stuff after we gave her notice to quit for breaking tenancy rules. We tracked her down and got a court order for her to repay us but it was a great deal of hassle. (She was ordered to pay us back at £5 a week, wow. Police would not prosecute for theft. Go figure).

Also if you have a mortgage dont forget to contact them about renting, you need their permission!
Old Sep 26th 2005, 2:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

We rent through an agent and they actually advised us not to leave our furnture, as at the time we were undecided. I cant remember why but I'm thinking there may be tax implications. Definately go with an agent they are expensive however the peace of mind is worth it. We have been away 3 years and we are on our third lot of tenants. Without an agent we would have to have flown home each time to sort it out. We have had no trouble with our tenants apart from one paying late for two months running, the agent was on it straight away. We even took out insurance against tenants not paying their rent which is only £100 a year.
Old Sep 26th 2005, 4:55 pm
L D Jones

londonerdanny wrote:
    > I'm halfway through the process of getting a K1 Visa and have just been
    > approved (so far) from the Nebraska Service Centre :D
    > I think we (me and fiancee) have got the Visa application under control
    > as there is SO much advise out there and we are looking at me coming to
    > the US in March '06
    > However I can't find any links or forums regarding "LEAVING the UK". I
    > mean, I can't just quit my job, grab a one way flight and leave (can I
    > ?) what about my pension, tax, my flat (that I'm leaving to rent out)
    > and loads of other things that I'm sure I've not even aware of just yet
    > !
    > I don't want to cut all my ties in the UK - we may choose to come back
    > here when my fiancees daughter turn 16/18 - is there a way that I can
    > 'leave things on hold' in the UK ?
    > How did all you ex-pats leave things after you left ?
    > A useful link would be most appreciated.

Try posting to the marriage based visa forum on BritishExpats

Old Sep 26th 2005, 6:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Toontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by L D Jones
Try posting to the marriage based visa forum on BritishExpats
Smart ass, it's a good thing your account is deleted. The thread was moved to the USA section FROM one of the visa forums.......
Old Sep 26th 2005, 7:02 pm
Just Joined

londonerdanny will become famous soon enoughlondonerdanny will become famous soon enough

Thank you everyone for your advice - most helpful. I hadn't thought about my post - some companies only write me once / twice a year so I'll definitely start making (another ) list !
If NI payments are only for pensions then I think I may just ignore it altogether (unless there's a very good reason not to) I'm 31 and don't believe that there will be a government pension worth having in 44 years time !!
I'm glad that Inland Revenue will only tax the PROFIT on the flat - I thought it was 22% on ALL of the rent !
I haven't spoken to a managing agent as yet but had planned to Let via them because I don't need the hassle and don't want to dump the responsibility on my mum either !
Thanks again

Danny
Old Sep 26th 2005, 10:24 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't spoken to a managing agent as yet but had planned to Let via them because I don't need the hassle and don't want to dump the responsibility on my mum either !
Thanks again

Danny
When you start looking at agents, remember the commission will be very negotiable, and look closely at what is included and what is extra - a few of the larger agents have additional costs for basic services that are included with other agents. Also, after you've decided who to go with, make sure to keep contact details for 2 or 3 other agents that seemed OK - if your first choice doesn't perform, you may need to switch, and its a p.i.t.a. to do from a long way away.
Old Sep 27th 2005, 9:10 am
Forum Regular

Piccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nice

Thank you everyone for your advice - most helpful. I hadn't thought about my post - some companies only write me once / twice a year so I'll definitely start making (another ) list !
If NI payments are only for pensions then I think I may just ignore it altogether (unless there's a very good reason not to) I'm 31 and don't believe that there will be a government pension worth having in 44 years time !!
I'm glad that Inland Revenue will only tax the PROFIT on the flat - I thought it was 22% on ALL of the rent !
Thanks again

Danny
If the property is joint owned the tax due will also be split. If at any stage you want to catch up with NI it is quite simple to pay a lump sum.

Should you come home you will not be eligible for Job seekers allowance immediately but it is worth signing on to get the NI paid for you.

On our last posting abroad we also put items into storage. Cost us £47 a month for a large container.

Remember that when your tenants change over the agent will usually take 50% of the first months rent etc. They will also see the the gas checks are also made. By the time the various deductions you may not have made much profit but your property should have gone up in value so worth keeping.
Old Sep 27th 2005, 9:21 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Piccolo]If the property is joint owned the tax due will also be split. If at any stage you want to catch up with NI it is quite simple to pay a lump sum.

QUOTE]

You have quite a while to catch up on the payments - I just got a statement thru showing that for my 2003-4 contributions I have until April 2006 to pay wihtout penalty, and the final deadline for paying is 2010, though late payment will attract penalties (not sure how much as I always pay before its too late )