Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What's the best car/truck/SUV in the snow?

What's the best car/truck/SUV in the snow?

Old Jan 13th 2014, 6:08 pm
Forum Regular

King Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant future
Default Re: What's the best car/truck/SUV in the snow?

Originally Posted by Pulaski
When ABS first became common I read that ABS actually increased the stopping distance on ice and snow. I don't know if the system has subsequently been enhanced to change that.
We had plenty of snow and I have a nice long sloping drive to 'test' the abs

It doesn't seem to do anything apart from make a loud noise and vibrate the brake pedal - you can still feel the car sliding - same in both my abs equipped cars. I guess the ability to retain some steering was the big sell when it first came out..
Old Jan 13th 2014, 6:13 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I do not know anybody with a winter vehicle. I do know people who have summer vehicles including motorbikes. Colorado is not soemwhere you could commute year around on a bike.

If you use summer tires, like I do on my Miata, then a set of winter tires is a good idea. Preferably on separate rims. Most people, especially on the Front Range just have all season tires.

That is partly due to operational temperatures as well as having no grip when icy.
Old Jan 13th 2014, 7:05 pm
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by King Gimp
We had plenty of snow and I have a nice long sloping drive to 'test' the abs

It doesn't seem to do anything apart from make a loud noise and vibrate the brake pedal - you can still feel the car sliding - same in both my abs equipped cars. I guess the ability to retain some steering was the big sell when it first came out..
abs was introduced to prevent a driver from locking up the brakes therefore still be able to come to a controlled stop (obviously depending on road/surface conditions) whilst maintaining the ability to steer to avoid a hazard. Prior to abs one would merely pump your brakes; which is what the abs system merely does very quickly; but in a panic and reactionary stance you a more likely to seize up and kept the brake pedal pressed - hence why people would lock brakes ...

Having 4x4 doesn't make a person stop any better nor quicker than a 2wd ... bottom line, if you're sliding, you're sliding despite what vehicle you're in - especially on ice.

Traction control is a supplemental system to ABS to help prevent wheel spin; esp in cornering where the wheels are revolving at different rates. It doesn't guarantee traction, it assists with it.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 2:01 am
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

I had a Subaru which was OK in snow but not particularly better than my 2WD Odyssey with studded snow tyres.

Our other car is a Nissan hybrid - didn't really think too hard when we bought it and forgot that the weight is in the back whereas the 2WD is in the front. It still gets there in snow since we put good tyres on it, but I prefer the Odyssey if the weather's looking a bit iffy (ie if we've had 6" or more of snow).
Old Jan 14th 2014, 3:58 pm
Forum Regular

studentgwant is just really nicestudentgwant is just really nicestudentgwant is just really nicestudentgwant is just really nicestudentgwant is just really nicestudentgwant is just really nicestudentgwant is just really nicestudentgwant is just really nicestudentgwant is just really nice

I like my f250 crew cab in the snow, its big, heavy, and can manually lock the hubs if the snow looks deep, and get good tyres. Added bonus of it being 11 years old, and if someone else hits it I dont notice
Old Jan 14th 2014, 5:48 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
This has been discussed several times recently, including here (#4, et seq), and diesel is much more widely available than many people realize. Most stations now sell it, you may just not have noticed it.
It costs a bucket load more per gallon though, that the premium cost of getting a diesel motor in the first place just doesn't make sense unless someone else is paying for petrol on top of the motor.

Down my way, busy little suburb area, diesel is still pretty hard to find, limited to a couple of stations that aren't open late or easy to get into/out of and up where the in-laws live in Maine, limited to the summer only for a lot of the places in the sticks.

I wouldn't jump into buying a diesel without knowing what the local conditions for getting it actually are.

Anyway, end of day, as mentioned, it's not the motor, but the tyres and the way you drive that make the biggest difference. Plenty of crashed SUV's all over the place around here when it snows/ices up as people don't realise that 4x4 doesn't change how well they stop or turn.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 5:51 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

In Co it seems most places have it, just confuse you they use green to denote it on the pump handles that still occasionally causes me to think twice.

Lot of Diesel trucks, F250's etc.