British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   What's the best car/truck/SUV in the snow? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/whats-best-car-truck-suv-snow-821322/)

yukichon Jan 12th 2014 11:00 am

What's the best car/truck/SUV in the snow?

Still haven't finalised what our main car will be when we move to Colorado this year. Luckily my company will be paying for the lease so can choose pretty much what we like. Due to the lack of snow in the London area, the little experience I have had has meant that my choice would be the Land Rover Discovery 4. Would like to here what you people think?

AdobePinon Jan 12th 2014 2:32 pm

Re: What's the best car/truck/SUV in the snow?

If they're willing to pay that much, sure, why not? Otherwise, there's a reason so many people around here drive Subarus.

scrubbedexpat099 Jan 12th 2014 2:49 pm

The one with the best tires driven sensibly.

Most people live on the front range where it is no biggie, will you be in the Mountains?

Cardienscarf Jan 12th 2014 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 11074885)

+1

It's all about the tyres and driving for the conditions your in.

sir_eccles Jan 12th 2014 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by Cardienscarf (Post 11074989)
+1

It's all about the tyres and driving for the conditions your in.

This.

Sometimes the best car is the one in the garage. If the locals aren't going out neither should you. The worst driver in snowy conditions is the one in the 4x4 who thinks he's fine because he's in a 4x4.

cluedweasel Jan 12th 2014 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 11074885)

100%. I used to drive a Hyundai Genesis Coupe and now an Infiniti G37 in the snow. With Blizzaks and a sensible attitude I have no problems at all. Otherwise, as someone else said, Subarus are excellent snow cars.

joto Jan 12th 2014 10:49 pm

We lived in the Denver suburbs and drove a Jeep Grand Cherokee. My one has different settings for different road conditions, or for minor off road travel. It had normal tires on, not Blizzaks or winter tires. It was ok, but I did have a couple of minor slides on barely ploughed streets in a blizzard taking DS to work. He has a small Subaru, but he didn't want to risk it in those conditions. He is not a very confident driver. There were a couple of pick up's off the road, but that is the norm as they seem to think they are invincible.

Poppy girl Jan 12th 2014 11:23 pm

I have a Range Rover and a large percentage of folk in the Tahoe area drive these, I was shocked how many, but I guess there must be a reason why!!

If I was going for a smaller 4x4 it would be the Subaru for sure.

Jerseygirl Jan 12th 2014 11:50 pm

Originally Posted by Poppy girl (Post 11075506)
I have a Range Rover and a large percentage of folk in the Tahoe area drive these, I was shocked how many, but I guess there must be a reason why!!

If I was going for a smaller 4x4 it would be the Subaru for sure.

Mine was unreliable..so was the LR3 I had. :thumbdown:

watchamacallit Jan 13th 2014 12:02 am

Range Rover are obviously the best but very expensive. We own a Honda Pilot, although it's over 6 years old it is the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned, not a stop of rust anywhere and it will go through anything or anywhere, I know with confidence from past experiences that even if we get in it in a foot of snow it will start and just drive right through it without even skipping a beat or slipping a wheel, even on sheet ice it still grips and carries on. We took it for inspection a few months ago and the mechanic was honest and told us he is always instructed to find whatever faults he can so the company can make money but couldn't find any fault with it "You can't kill these ya know" were his exact words :)

My next car will be a Honda Pilot.

Poppy girl Jan 13th 2014 12:10 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 11075524)
Mine was unreliable..so was the LR3 I had. :thumbdown:

Nope love it, the 2nd one that I have had..the LR3 is not the same as a real chelsea tractor :lol:

Its not usual for a RR to be unreliable quite the opposite!

notonuksoil Jan 13th 2014 12:54 am

Admittedly we don't live in a particularly snowy area, the roads are cleared pretty quickly even when we get 8-10 inches. We have a Rav4 and it handles snow pretty well even on trips up to Vermont. I agree its about driving to the conditions and having good tyres.
OH got to try out the new land rover discovery 4 in October, he got an all expenses paid trip to LA for 3 days just to give his opinion and try it out. He said nice car but not worth $20+K more than our Rav4. It appears its the mid size SUV market that Land Rover seem to be aiming at with this new model.

penguinsix Jan 13th 2014 2:10 am

My cousin has an LR4 as she always dreamed of having a Rover after years of driving Suburbans and Yukons.

She hated it.

Felt it was a major step backwards as far as comfort and performance. Granted she was more of a family truckster to soccer classes and the occasional camping trip, but for the 90% of the time when she did not need 4WD she felt there were much better options out there.

You should remember that the majority of your time in Colorado will not be blasting through snowdrifts and ice and snow but going to and from work and the grocery store. The LR4 sucks down the gas and is expensive to maintain, and for the money you might find something comparable that doesn't cost as much to purchase or run.

yukichon Jan 13th 2014 7:11 am

If we were to choose a Land Rover Discovery it would likely be a diesel option as we had one here and comfortably got 34mpg plus it has 7 seats in the event of extra passengers. There are some great lease deals on the Mercs but doubt they are the most competent off roaders or all weather cars....never liked Japanese cars to be honest. Just a taste issue as I know they are very reliable.

penguinsix Jan 13th 2014 7:22 am

Originally Posted by yukichon (Post 11075769)
If we were to choose a Land Rover Discovery it would likely be a diesel option as we had one here and comfortably got 34mpg plus it has 7 seats in the event of extra passengers. There are some great lease deals on the Mercs but doubt they are the most competent off roaders or all weather cars....never liked Japanese cars to be honest. Just a taste issue as I know they are very reliable.

I don't think the diesel option is available in the USA.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/09/11/2...rankfurt-2013/

but there are rumors it might come soon:

http://www.roverparts.com/News/Archi...rthAmerica.cfm