British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   What Wouldn't You Miss? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/what-wouldnt-you-miss-277070/)

dgsyd1 Jan 12th 2005 4:58 pm

What Wouldn't You Miss?

On a similar theme to Bob's thread. What would you not miss about the US if you moved back to the UK? For me it would have to be the relentless advertising on the telly. IMHO 4-5 ad breaks or more during a 30 minute show really is taking the p*ss.
Any others?

Manc Jan 12th 2005 5:58 pm

Re: What Wouldn't You Miss?

Americans.

Taffyles Jan 12th 2005 6:04 pm

Where do you start?
Vacation time.
Christmas.
Television, period.
Health insurance.
Monthly bills.
Banks. (except for drive through ATMs, of course).
Supermarkets.
Food.

Bob Jan 12th 2005 6:07 pm

The millions of tv adverst would be a major one....and then the lack of "decent" overn/microwave meals, well I miss my Mccains microwave pizzas' and chips :)
Oh, wouldn't miss the sales tax not included in anything either, and people whining about the cost of petrol and fags when it's so cheap over here...

Gross50 Jan 12th 2005 6:08 pm

Are you kidding me

Originally Posted by dgsyd1
On a similar theme to Bob's thread. What would you not miss about the US if you moved back to the UK? For me it would have to be the relentless advertising on the telly. IMHO 4-5 ad breaks or more during a 30 minute show really is taking the p*ss.
Any others?

move back to blighty? :scared: :scared:

ladylisa Jan 12th 2005 6:23 pm

1. Taking my life into my hands everytime I go around the roundabout in my subdivision, you never know which way everyone else is going to go around that day.

2. Cold and snow.

3. Having to walk my dog on a lead and feeling like a criminal everytime I'm caught by passers by taking it off.

4. SUV's especially the ones that drive up my arse in the rain or snow...you know who you are!! :D

Pimpbot Jan 12th 2005 9:12 pm

Really terrible local TV news reporters/anchors, who I believe actually think they are actors by trade, instead of reporters on news and current events.

bored-silly Jan 12th 2005 9:16 pm

Local cable channels and the 'Court TV channel' - it's tragic.

Rockgurl Jan 12th 2005 9:18 pm

The truly awful road system and the appalling drivers.

The obsession with paperwork and red tape.

The really irritating recorded messages at the supermarket urging you to buy some product or other in an annoyingly fake smiley voice. Ugh!

The lack of irony and sarcasm.

Crappy stores.

AdobePinon Jan 12th 2005 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by Pimpbot
Really terrible local TV news reporters/anchors, who I believe actually think they are actors by trade, instead of reporters on news and current events.

What, you don't like reading all the 'It was a dark and stormy night' crap for five columns of newsprint before finally finding out what the story is about in the last paragraph?

I think you are being unappreciative. The anchors are there to 'help [us] understand the news' because we're too frickin' stoooopid to get it ourselves....

[/rant]

tony126 Jan 12th 2005 9:49 pm

Mosquitos'.

FlyergirlUK Jan 12th 2005 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by Rockgurl
The truly awful road system and the appalling drivers.

The lack of irony and sarcasm.

Crappy stores.

Seconded!! :D

callé Jan 12th 2005 11:44 pm

lack of real friends
humidity in Florida
hurricanes
southern speech
attitude
being 'free' (ha ha)
homeboys and rednecks
feeling like I dont belong
july 4
high health ins. payments

Bob Jan 12th 2005 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by callë
homeboys and rednecks

exchange those for chavs :D

Rockgurl Jan 12th 2005 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by FlyergirlUK
Seconded!! :D

Oh goody! Can I have another gripe? In England if you miss your exit on a motorway you can come off at the next one, go round the roundabout, across the bridge and back the other way...easy. In the US if you take the next exit invariably you'll come to a hairpin bend when you least expect it when exiting the highway, and find yourself on a completely different route similar to a dual carriageway with no way back. When you do finally find yourself on a road you can turn around on you find that the entrance back to the highway is nowhere to be found! Oh how I miss English motorways...not to mention motorway service stations! And I never thought I'd say that! :rolleyes:

dunroving Jan 13th 2005 12:13 am

Cucarachas!

Bob Jan 13th 2005 12:15 am

Originally Posted by Rockgurl
...Oh how I miss English motorways...not to mention motorway service stations! And I never thought I'd say that! :rolleyes:

Aye, who'd have thought they would be so welcome :)
but I've seen a few ok service stops around here, but they tend to be too few and far between, just plenty of burger places to pull off and find...

Other things I wouldn't miss, shite public loo's, and I'm sure you women wouldn't miss the stalls with the mondo gaps between the doors :D

Patrick Jan 13th 2005 12:16 am

The guy with the really deep voice doing the really annoying voice overs for tv shows "....and you'll never guess the shock ending" well its not a ****ing shock anymore because I know its coming - deep voiced twat!

People who lose the ability to move there neck muscles to the left while behind the wheel of a car and those can't check to see if you are coming when they pull out, driving twats

$4 cafe mocha chino frappo lattes from starbucks, coffee making twats

People with the inability to be modest, unappologeticly annoying twats

Conservative Repubicans, bush loving twats

Christian Fundamentalists, twats that use Jesus as a scapegoat for their twatyness

Rednecks, twats with bad teeth and guns

Medical Insurance, thieving twats

Local News anchors, fake breasted and ultra white teeth twats

Walmart Greeters, too old to be alive twats

Patrick

Rockgurl Jan 13th 2005 12:20 am

Originally Posted by Patrick
The guy with the really deep voice doing the really annoying voice overs for tv shows "....and you'll never guess the shock ending" well its not a ****ing shock anymore because I know its coming - deep voiced twat!

People who lose the ability to move there neck muscles to the left while behind the wheel of a car and those can't check to see if you are coming when they pull out, driving twats

Christian Fundamentalists, twats that use Jesus as a scapegoat for their twatyness

Patrick

That made me laugh like a drain, you twat! :D

Sarah Jan 13th 2005 12:24 am

[QUOTE=Patrick]
bush loving twats

Ooh the endless possibilites.

psb182 Jan 13th 2005 12:24 am

Patrick

I take it your a bit fed up mate?

woodsey Jan 13th 2005 12:26 am

wouldn't miss
the fact that whenever you turn on any small electrical appliance the lights go dim, I know when the kettle has boiled even when I'm upstairs.
any shit bigger than a rabbit dropping blocks the toilet (now I know why Home Depot have 2 aisles of plungers).
black widow spiders, had 2 in the house already.
appalling furniture shops
twinkies especially the shrek ones
shit music
BBC America
religious people, god they're everywhere :mad:

elfman Jan 13th 2005 12:29 am

Monumentally prudish censorship of anything remotely to do with sex or swearing on the majority of TV channels. (there are notable exceptions - HBO take a bow)

Bob Jan 13th 2005 12:34 am

Originally Posted by elfman
Monumentally prudish censorship of anything remotely to do with sex or swearing on the majority of TV channels. (there are notable exceptions - HBO take a bow)

well you pay for hbo don't ya :)
But I know what you mean, can't show an arse crack or anything...

ladylisa Jan 13th 2005 12:43 am

people who dont say thank you when you open the door for them...would trip them up but would probably get sued.

psb182 Jan 13th 2005 12:49 am

3 1/2 monts of freezing my nuts off in winter
paying $1000 a month in heath insurance
going to the dentist because you have a cavity and he says "give us $75 you have a cavity you need to book another appointment to get it fixed"
LAWYERS
television it's all crap
my cell phone ringing at least 30 times a day
the words "oh my god"
going to a resturant and having enough food on my plate to feed a small african nation
july 4th
christmas
new years eve.looking at that stupid ball at times square
the bars....you can't say pubs because there are none

tony126 Jan 13th 2005 1:16 am

Patrick

Do you live on your own? I mean you must be a lonely soul. Don't beat about the bush,(no pun intended) say what you mean. Don't hold back let it all go.
Have a beer on me, in fact have two :beer: :beer:

NJ_Dave Jan 13th 2005 1:54 am

Originally Posted by psb182
unblocked my karma????????

Just unblocked your's for you ;)

psb182 Jan 13th 2005 1:55 am

Originally Posted by dbickle
Just unblocked your's for you ;)

don't know what you mean???

psb182 Jan 13th 2005 1:57 am

don't know what you mean???

I am thinking Karma is some kind of brownie points I am new here and don't understand

NJ_Dave Jan 13th 2005 2:01 am

I am thinking Karma is some kind of brownie points I am new here and don't understand

Pretty much. Notice the blue box under your name? That's your reputation/karma meter. Brit had his disabled but switched it back when Patrick started bad mouthing him about it. Stupid thing to attack somebody about really, but checkmate in favour of Brit at this point :D

megs Jan 13th 2005 2:01 am

Republicans.

Brit'n'TX Jan 13th 2005 2:04 am

Originally Posted by megs
Republicans.

they wouldn't miss you either :D

woodsey Jan 13th 2005 2:10 am

god I thought it was me cos I don't understand either!

Brit'n'TX Jan 13th 2005 2:15 am

Originally Posted by woodsey
god I thought it was me cos I don't understand either!

karma originally, as suggested by the previous poster, started out as brownie points, used to reward outstanding and informative posts ...

this quickly deteriorated into a primitive competition to see who could get the most points and addicts resorted to begging, swindling and whoring to climb the league table ...

NJ_Dave Jan 13th 2005 2:16 am

Originally Posted by Brit'n'TX
karma originally, as suggested by the previous poster, started out as brownie points, used to reward outstanding and informative posts ...

this quickly deteriorated into a primitive competition to see who could get the most points and addicts resorted to begging, swindling and whoring to climb the league table ...

But not us Brit, we got there totally on merit ;)

psb182 Jan 13th 2005 2:19 am

been on a few websites with a similar system.......guys get multiple aliases and give themselves brownie points for fun...... but I thought thats was a bit of an "American" thing.....wouldn't think Brits would do that or even care about them

Brit'n'TX Jan 13th 2005 2:20 am

Originally Posted by dbickle
But not us Brit, we got there totally on merit ;)

goes without saying David, old buddy, old mate ....

now, shall we karma each other? :D

NJ_Dave Jan 13th 2005 2:21 am

goes without saying David, old buddy, old mate ....

now, shall we karma each other? :D

Must spread :p

monk Jan 13th 2005 2:28 am

Well i am new and have had a couple of glasses of wine, so ignore my punctuation (never was my strong point)! But here goes.
1.Southerner's (it took me 2 month's to realize my neighbour's was saying "ha bout it now", what the **** does that mean ?)
2.George Bush's face. :mad:
3.Crap telly
4.Constant heat(Hey, Georgia some snow would be nice!)
5 Crazy driver's,(I've been here over 2 years, do you people not know what a turn signal is, oh or a stop sign!!!)
6.Religion .(First question i was asked when i got here was, do i have a church yet , told him yer it was called the church of my bed.)
7.Trailer trash, please someone tell me why do they always move next to me!
8.Well i could go on for a while but it's getting late and the wine is taking affect, so i will say farewell and go to bed dreaming about crazy driver's and heaven forbid George Bush , now there's a way to stop sleep.