Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What Wouldn't You Miss?

What Wouldn't You Miss?

Old Jan 12th 2005, 4:58 pm
Time Lord

dgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default What Wouldn't You Miss?

On a similar theme to Bob's thread. What would you not miss about the US if you moved back to the UK? For me it would have to be the relentless advertising on the telly. IMHO 4-5 ad breaks or more during a 30 minute show really is taking the p*ss.
Any others?
Old Jan 12th 2005, 5:58 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What Wouldn't You Miss?

Americans.
Old Jan 12th 2005, 6:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

Where do you start?
Vacation time.
Christmas.
Television, period.
Health insurance.
Monthly bills.
Banks. (except for drive through ATMs, of course).
Supermarkets.
Food.
Old Jan 12th 2005, 6:07 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

The millions of tv adverst would be a major one....and then the lack of "decent" overn/microwave meals, well I miss my Mccains microwave pizzas' and chips
Oh, wouldn't miss the sales tax not included in anything either, and people whining about the cost of petrol and fags when it's so cheap over here...
Old Jan 12th 2005, 6:08 pm
Banned

Gross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the rough
Default Are you kidding me

Originally Posted by dgsyd1
On a similar theme to Bob's thread. What would you not miss about the US if you moved back to the UK? For me it would have to be the relentless advertising on the telly. IMHO 4-5 ad breaks or more during a 30 minute show really is taking the p*ss.
Any others?
move back to blighty? :scared: :scared:
Old Jan 12th 2005, 6:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

1. Taking my life into my hands everytime I go around the roundabout in my subdivision, you never know which way everyone else is going to go around that day.

2. Cold and snow.

3. Having to walk my dog on a lead and feeling like a criminal everytime I'm caught by passers by taking it off.

4. SUV's especially the ones that drive up my arse in the rain or snow...you know who you are!!
Old Jan 12th 2005, 9:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Really terrible local TV news reporters/anchors, who I believe actually think they are actors by trade, instead of reporters on news and current events.
Old Jan 12th 2005, 9:16 pm
looking for the corkscrew

bored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond repute

Local cable channels and the 'Court TV channel' - it's tragic.
Old Jan 12th 2005, 9:18 pm
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

The truly awful road system and the appalling drivers.

The obsession with paperwork and red tape.

The really irritating recorded messages at the supermarket urging you to buy some product or other in an annoyingly fake smiley voice. Ugh!

The lack of irony and sarcasm.

Crappy stores.
Old Jan 12th 2005, 9:24 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pimpbot
Really terrible local TV news reporters/anchors, who I believe actually think they are actors by trade, instead of reporters on news and current events.
What, you don't like reading all the 'It was a dark and stormy night' crap for five columns of newsprint before finally finding out what the story is about in the last paragraph?

I think you are being unappreciative. The anchors are there to 'help [us] understand the news' because we're too frickin' stoooopid to get it ourselves....

[/rant]
Old Jan 12th 2005, 9:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

tony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond repute

Mosquitos'.
Old Jan 12th 2005, 10:37 pm
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Rockgurl
The truly awful road system and the appalling drivers.

The lack of irony and sarcasm.

Crappy stores.
Seconded!!
Old Jan 12th 2005, 11:44 pm
Home at last

callé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond repute

lack of real friends
humidity in Florida
hurricanes
southern speech
attitude
being 'free' (ha ha)
homeboys and rednecks
feeling like I dont belong
july 4
high health ins. payments
Old Jan 12th 2005, 11:54 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by callë
homeboys and rednecks
exchange those for chavs
Old Jan 12th 2005, 11:55 pm
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FlyergirlUK
Seconded!!
Oh goody! Can I have another gripe? In England if you miss your exit on a motorway you can come off at the next one, go round the roundabout, across the bridge and back the other way...easy. In the US if you take the next exit invariably you'll come to a hairpin bend when you least expect it when exiting the highway, and find yourself on a completely different route similar to a dual carriageway with no way back. When you do finally find yourself on a road you can turn around on you find that the entrance back to the highway is nowhere to be found! Oh how I miss English motorways...not to mention motorway service stations! And I never thought I'd say that!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.