Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What would you miss?

Wikiposts

What would you miss?

Old Mar 29th 2005, 5:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Guelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What would you miss?

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Bought Fast Food Nation just before I moved to the US and read it on this side of the pond. It's an excellent read. I believe Schlosser covers both sides of the argument well and he's a better writer than Michael Moore (I've read one MM book).

NC Penguin
Just ordered this book on Amazon ... was looking for something new to read, so thanks for the tip!
Old Mar 29th 2005, 5:47 am
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guelder Rose
Just ordered this book on Amazon ... was looking for something new to read, so thanks for the tip!
You'll be looking for something new to eat too

Haven't been to McD's since.
Old Mar 29th 2005, 5:47 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

After both me and my spouse read Fast Food Nation, I passed my copy onto my sis-in-law. I believe her book club read it together after that...

NC Penguin
Old Mar 29th 2005, 5:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Guelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patrick
Heres the thing, you drive more miles in the states, in bigger vehicles which guzzle cheaper gas!

If you think about it, you probably dont save a penny on gas in the states, its all in your imaginations, it may not even be an issue if gas goes to $4 a gallon as predicted in the summer
In the UK I would drive an average of 100 miles a week ... that got me to work and back each day and covered shopping trips, etc. My brother only covers an average of 50 miles a week in the UK, because he works 5 minutes from his front door step.

In the US my husband drives an average of 600 miles a week to do the same thing ... it doesn't take a genius to work out that my husband spends more on petrol than we ever did! I also wonder what happens to the value of a car here ... my husband's car is just three years old and already has more than 100,000 miles on the clock!
Old Mar 29th 2005, 6:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rincewind
You'll be looking for something new to eat too

Haven't been to McD's since.
I only ever went to McD's twice when I was in the UK ... and that was only to try their salads when they decided to offer healthier options! Mind you, have to admit that I have had a few burgers from Farmer Boy's since I've been here ... but that's only because they serve steak cut fries which are almost the same as proper English chips!
Old Mar 29th 2005, 6:03 am
I still love a brit :0)

KarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing.
Aw c'mon you'd miss your mother in law LMAO
Old Mar 29th 2005, 6:18 am
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IluvAbrit
Aw c'mon you'd miss your mother in law LMAO
:scared:
Old Mar 29th 2005, 6:24 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

In the US my husband drives an average of 600 miles a week to do the same thing ... it doesn't take a genius to work out that my husband spends more on petrol than we ever did! I also wonder what happens to the value of a car here ... my husband's car is just three years old and already has more than 100,000 miles on the clock!
And what about all the TIME spent behind the wheel? The increased risk of accidents?

But since we live here there really is very little alternative. We bike as much as we can but even so we put more than 10k miles on the clock in a year.
Old Mar 29th 2005, 6:24 am
I still love a brit :0)

KarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond repute

I share your opinion...
Old Mar 29th 2005, 6:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DonnaElvira
And what about all the TIME spent behind the wheel?
Yes ... one thing I wouldn't miss is spending best part of each day in the car just trying to get from A - B - C and back to A again!!!
Old Mar 29th 2005, 9:49 am

Neathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of light

I would miss the ease of living in the U.S. I don't have a big house, pool or anything fantastic, but I really do like living in Virginia. The countryside is beautiful, my neighbours are really nice and there's a real sense of community in the area where we are. I'm only 20 minutes walk from the beach, shops, public transportation and schools and we live more or less as I lived in Belgium or England. We even have a nice restaurant/bar up the road where all the locals go!
Old Mar 29th 2005, 2:36 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

car like that, be turned into a garden ornament around here...
Old Mar 29th 2005, 2:40 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

how much hassle so many basic things are
the endless reams of medical bills
the archaic billing / banking system
the poor quality of 'produce ' in the supermarkets, and the total ignorance of sell by dates.
the certain knowledge that every junction has 2 strip malls, (each with a dry cleaners, nail salon and UPS Store), a gas station and a drugstore
the huge amount of time I spend in my car (5000 miles in 3 months - without commuting)
needing to get permission to do anything to the outside of my own home
having to get in the car to do anything, go anywhere
the lack of public transport
the superficiality of a lot (not all) of our relationships/interactions
the abysmal quality of workmanship (houses, repairmen, etc)

On a slightly less sarcastic note, I'm sure I would miss Fuddruckers, the size of the houses if we tried to shoehorn ourselves back into a house in the UK, the weather (apart from the humidity for 3 months in the summers), and it is good to be close to the extended family (thats the only reason we're here)
Old Mar 29th 2005, 4:31 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
the poor quality of 'produce ' in the supermarkets, and the total ignorance of sell by dates.
the certain knowledge that every junction has 2 strip malls, (each with a dry cleaners, nail salon and UPS Store), a gas station and a drugstore
the huge amount of time I spend in my car (5000 miles in 3 months - without commuting)
needing to get permission to do anything to the outside of my own home
having to get in the car to do anything, go anywhere
the lack of public transport
the superficiality of a lot (not all) of our relationships/interactions
the abysmal quality of workmanship (houses, repairmen, etc)
A BIG part of this is living in Houston vs Austin or other parts of the country. I realise that moving away from Houston would defeat the purpose of being near the extended family, but I think your quality of life would rise.
Old Mar 29th 2005, 4:33 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
I love the bacon, but why can't they do it in smaller packs? I only eat bacon on a Sunday; yesterday I had to cook an extra 12 rashers because I can't leave them in the fridge for a week.
A good butcher's shop or meat department in a good grocery ought to be able to sell by the slice/rasher. I agree, I would miss the crispy bacon. It's supposedly known as "streaky bacon" but I've never found the Real Thing in the UK.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.