Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What would you do in this situation?

Wikiposts

What would you do in this situation?

Old Apr 1st 2010, 6:32 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What would you do in this situation?

Originally Posted by HumphreyC
Apparently that's about normal for a South Korean.

It is a mugs game though. My friends in Corporate law do those kinds of hours regularly because you are supposed to stay in the office till the client's work is done and you have the 'carrot' of trying to make partner. Average working hours are about 8-7 throughout the year but it's usual to work 16-hour days, seven days a week towards the end of a deal. Now, after 5 years they seem to be mostly burning out or deciding there is more to life and trying to escape from the rat race.

My working week usually works out at between 45 and 47 hours p/w which is more civilised. Used to work weekends as well but decided there was no point.
Oh I know crunch happens in a lot of places...but unless your the one that messed up needing it to be done or have incentive as being the owner to do it, it's just free labour..the bonus has to be very very solid to make it worth it.

I know someone who got a $40K bonus but after doing the maths, it only worked out as being 50c to the hour on over time...not worth missing out on the family life.
Old Apr 1st 2010, 7:34 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

At 16 it's natural for someone to be very distressed over leaving their friends, boyfriend, and extended family.

I think it would be a good compromise to let her spend some of her summer in the UK, but not all of it, because she'll have an opportunity to make friends in the US outside of the school setting.

I would have loved such a move when I was 16, but my daughter at 17 would HATE it - though she's perfectly fine with leaving everyone behind to go off to uni in a year!
Old Apr 1st 2010, 7:44 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wilma 1
once sold we will move in to rented, then over to look at businesses. We have a 12 year old daughter who is really up for the move at the moment she will be 13 when we make the move, x
I wish you the best, but hope this doesn't indicate that you are looking at an E2 -- before you know it your daughter will be aging out. The insecurities of existence on the E2 do not make for a better family life, even in the sunshine of FL.
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 2:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
At 16 it's natural for someone to be very distressed over leaving their friends, boyfriend, and extended family.

I think it would be a good compromise to let her spend some of her summer in the UK, but not all of it, because she'll have an opportunity to make friends in the US outside of the school setting.

I would have loved such a move when I was 16, but my daughter at 17 would HATE it - though she's perfectly fine with leaving everyone behind to go off to uni in a year!
That's the plan.

We've arranged for one of her best friends from the UK to come over for 3 weeks after school finishes in June. She can then go back to the UK for a couple of weeks and catch up. We'll just have to take it from there.

Her friend who's coming over things that she has got the chance of a lifetime to be over here so I'm hoping she can make her see the difference, good and bad.

Are having a family day out on Sunday to NYC and show here what's on her doorstep - if you get what I mean.