Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What would make you move back to the UK?

What would make you move back to the UK?

Old Dec 20th 2006, 7:29 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What would make you move back to the UK?

Originally Posted by TruBrit
yeah i know your situation but i am surprised to know it's 5 weeks straight off...sounds good then all the bank holidays
There's the rub, it's 4 weeks rostered holiday, 1 week floating, but you can swap.
Old Dec 20th 2006, 7:38 pm
long live thefinest range

Location: Higham Ferrers, Northants to Spokane Washington and back again!!
Hayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
There's the rub, it's 4 weeks rostered holiday, 1 week floating, but you can swap.
Sigh! I get two weeks but it accrues based on time worked and as I negotiated Fridays off to look after my son this year I think I have 36 hours or some such crap.
Old Dec 20th 2006, 7:44 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

yeah i know your situation but i am surprised to know it's 5 weeks straight off...sounds good then all the bank holidays
I can work Bank Holidays and choose double time or single time and a day off in Lieu. Is it nice in Lieu?
Old Dec 20th 2006, 7:45 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

I can work Bank Holidays and choose double time or single time and a day off in Lieu. Is it nice in Lieu?

think so, can be a bit windy
Old Dec 20th 2006, 7:50 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

I'd avoid the school holidays.
Old Dec 20th 2006, 7:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Newbie in an old job, not that it makes a difference. They do the same for newbies.
ah yes, I remember getting 4 weeks off in the UK - although I had to delegate when I wanted to take the time off - for the whole upcoming year! Um and yes with another job, I got the same amount of time, but then had to request for it and yes it could be turned down. The only job that I had where the employer didn't question the time off as much (although I did have to clear it with him, obviously) was when I worked for an accountant. You do get the time off, but sometimes you need to jump through hoops to get it.

My husband left a job, in the UK, that gave him 6 weeks paid leave a year(his leave in the UK was negotiated when he transferred from the MoD to BT.) But, he has a job now where he has 3 weeks. While its never fantastic, we find that his leave here in the US is more than ample. But that's just us.
Old Dec 20th 2006, 7:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

as a newbie in a new job, wow that's good
Jobs I would be looking for in the UK start with 5 also - seems to be fairly common.

Its things like this that untraps you to a degree - in the land of the "Free", you usually have to be with a company 10-20 years before you get that time off. Should you move to a different company, or get downsized, you can look forward to your 2 again.

In the UK, people realise that holiday time is expected (and indeed, its the law!), so have to offer it from the get go. I believe the legal minimum is actually 4 weeks now, and it appears they are testing the water as to increasing it:

http://www.dti.gov.uk/files/file30011.pdf

Last edited by Dan725; Dec 20th 2006 at 7:57 pm.
Old Dec 20th 2006, 8:11 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

think it's generally 3 weeks
Really, hmmm. I must have got lucky, started on 22 days (4 weeks & 2 day) then went up to 25 days (5 weeks) after I'd been there 5 years. It still didn't seem enough! I shall probably return to work for them when I get back, I should be able to get 25 days off automatically.
Old Dec 20th 2006, 8:15 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

That's the deal we got in the UK too.

Actually hubby got quite a nice deal coming up, they want him to work December 31st (a Sunday - his only day off), so they've offered everyone double pay with a day off (paid) on January 2nd, so basically triple pay! Now that's great for a US company.
Old Dec 20th 2006, 8:16 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Partystar
Really, hmmm. I must have got lucky, started on 22 days (4 weeks & 2 day) then went up to 25 days (5 weeks) after I'd been there 5 years. It still didn't seem enough! I shall probably return to work for them when I get back, I should be able to get 25 days off automatically.

i was meaning 3 weeks minimum requirements but it may have gone up to 4 now.

i was lucky and had 6 weeks plus, infact my job was one long holiday
Old Dec 20th 2006, 8:36 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

I have only spent a grand total of about two-and-a-half hours in the UK. My impression is that Gatwick Airport is a bit tatty and the staff at the check-in counters appeared to be hungover and bored. Is this indicative of the UK? If so, it's my kind of place and I want to move there!
Old Dec 20th 2006, 8:37 pm
Back where I belong!

i was meaning 3 weeks minimum requirements but it may have gone up to 4 now.

i was lucky and had 6 weeks plus, infact my job was one long holiday
Nice!
Old Dec 20th 2006, 8:37 pm
Back where I belong!

Originally Posted by happynz
I have only spent a grand total of about two-and-a-half hours in the UK. My impression is that Gatwick Airport is a bit tatty and the staff at the check-in counters appeared to be hungover and bored. Is this indicative of the UK? If so, it's my kind of place and I want to move there!
Absolutely!

Old Dec 20th 2006, 8:38 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by happynz

yeah it's all the holiday leave the brits have makes them hung over all the time
Old Dec 20th 2006, 9:01 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

I thought the correct geographical name was in Lieu of, which is hard by East Cupcake or West Overshoe ( I can never keep those 2 straight).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.