British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   What would make you move back to the UK? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/what-would-make-you-move-back-uk-414332/)

Muswell Hill Dec 18th 2006 8:31 pm

What would make you move back to the UK?

OK, so I ripped off the title from the Daily Telegraph, but "What would make you move back to the UK?"

Bob Dec 18th 2006 8:35 pm

Re: What would make you move back to the UK?

better job...once i've gotten citizenship...

ali_j Dec 18th 2006 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by Muswell Hill
OK, so I ripped off the title from the Daily Telegraph, but "What would make you move back to the UK?"

A decent-sized house in a beautiful, secluded countryside that I could afford in this lifetime would make it much more attractive prospect! It might not make me want to move back on its own, but I would then at least consider it!

Jerseygirl Dec 18th 2006 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by Bob
better job...once i've gotten citizenship...

...it's home.

TruBrit Dec 18th 2006 8:37 pm

hubs pay cheque being sent to the uk... oh and hubs of course :p

Jerseygirl Dec 18th 2006 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by TruBrit

Oh yeah....forgot about that. ;) :p

LeedsGirl Dec 18th 2006 8:43 pm

I would move tomorrow if I could!

Elvira Dec 18th 2006 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by TruBrit

Ditto ;)

Mallory Dec 18th 2006 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by Elvira
Ditto ;)

if global warming suddenly made Britain a warm tropical paradise.

Partystar Dec 18th 2006 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by LeedsGirl

Me too!

Although, not long for us now, just making the most of the USA while we're here!!! :D

Partystar Dec 18th 2006 10:10 pm

Money to pay off the debt we've accrued since living here, a buyer for our house without losing any money in the sale (current market means we would lose money :( ) & enough money to get us back home. This is our plan for the next 2 years, or sooner if we can. :)

Sarah Dec 18th 2006 10:18 pm

Probably parents falling gravely ill and needing round the clock care. Apart from that....nothing that I can think of. As of right now I feel pretty settled here.

Englishmum Dec 18th 2006 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by LeedsGirl

Ditto!

We're having to apply for Green Cards just to get our son through High School - our visas max out next April and he graduates a few weeks later but there was no way we would stay here out of status. I've told my husband that I will stay on until we get US citizenship so it will be approx 6 years.....by that time our son will have left college and be old enough to make his own way in life.

Then I'm outta here! The only thing which would hasten it would be if my daughter (currently a student in London) starts her own family.....it may draw me back sooner....but I hope that's still quite a few years in the future LOL! :eek:

It was never our intention to leave the UK for good....just to experience life overseas for a few years. We were originally going on a 3 year posting in Johannesburg, but at the last minute we went instead to Singapore for a posting of 12-18 months.....this lasted for 5.5 years then we moved directly to the US 6.5 years ago.....left the UK on Jan 5th 1995 and still haven't moved back there LOL! :D

Partystar Dec 18th 2006 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by Englishmum
It was never our intention to leave the UK for good....just to experience life overseas for a few years. We were originally going on a 3 year posting in Johannesburg, but at the last minute we went instead to Singapore for a posting of 12-18 months.....this lasted for 5.5 years then we moved directly to the US 6.5 years ago.....left the UK on Jan 5th 1995 and still haven't moved back there LOL! :D

My 13th birthday, ahhh good times! :D

Old William Dec 18th 2006 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by Mallory
if global warming suddenly made Britain a warm tropical paradise.

Why the hell would you want it like that? Have you ever actually lived in the tropics?