British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   What would make you move back to the UK? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/what-would-make-you-move-back-uk-414332/)

gruffbrown Dec 18th 2006 11:01 pm

Re: What would make you move back to the UK?

Cheese.

Old William Dec 18th 2006 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
Cheese.

Whats wrong with Kraft Cheese Flavored Plastic Slices?

Sally Dec 18th 2006 11:15 pm

People there stop moaning all the time, and house prices plummet.

gruffbrown Dec 18th 2006 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by Old William
Whats wrong with Kraft Cheese Flavored Plastic Slices?

Any fermented dairy produce would do it for me (Ooooh future tense, slip of the tongue squire)

Muswell Hill Dec 18th 2006 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by ali_j
A decent-sized house in a beautiful, secluded countryside that I could afford in this lifetime would make it much more attractive prospect! It might not make me want to move back on its own, but I would then at least consider it!

I agree!

For me, very high taxation which seems to go no-where would have to be changed. A transport policy that actually gets people from A to B, and isn't just a way to milk more money from hard working car owners also needs to be changed. Being able to afford a nice house is tops....my old house in Muswell Hill north London has doubled in value (well almost) in 6 years. I could buy 3 houses here for that.

Mallory Dec 18th 2006 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by Old William
Why the hell would you want it like that? Have you ever actually lived in the tropics?

I've lived in the southern US for a long time, I couldn't stand the weather in England on a permanent basis. I become gloomy when the sun isn't out.

Sally Dec 19th 2006 12:00 am

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
Any fermented dairy produce would do it for me (Ooooh future tense, slip of the tongue squire)

You are eating that lovely crystllised Irish Cheddar aren't you? :mad:

Elvira Dec 19th 2006 12:01 am

Originally Posted by Sally
You are eating that lovely crystllised Irish Cheddar aren't you? :mad:

Costco sell lovely Irish cheddar! :)

(Ain't enough to keep me here though...)

workboresme Dec 19th 2006 4:12 am

Originally Posted by Muswell Hill
OK, so I ripped off the title from the Daily Telegraph, but "What would make you move back to the UK?"

The guy in charge of my I-601 application ;)

Badum-tish! :beer:

Dan725 Dec 19th 2006 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by Muswell Hill
OK, so I ripped off the title from the Daily Telegraph, but "What would make you move back to the UK?"

5 weeks off and 10 bank holidays a year :) I badly underestimated the impact of how having no time off hampers your travel movements and quality of life in general if you've got places to go and people to visit (i.e. in the UK). I also constantly feel like we've got nothing to look forward to - including Christmas and the year end which I used to love, wheras here having one day off just makes it a complete non event for me.

Family reasons also; and the fact that we now have our little daughter has skewed the perspective and making us re-evaluate most things.

Constantly considering a move back, but will probably stay till citizenship is in the bag to retain the flexibility.

BritGuyTN Dec 19th 2006 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by Mallory
I've lived in the southern US for a long time, I couldn't stand the weather in England on a permanent basis. I become gloomy when the sun isn't out.

Same here. November to March in the Uk is miserable for me.

There plenty of stuff that I would like to have here, but my quality of life was definitely worse in the UK - and i'm not talking about material possessions, I'm talking about time and freedom to do stuff.

Dan725 Dec 19th 2006 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
Same here. November to March in the Uk is miserable for me.

There plenty of stuff that I would like to have here, but my quality of life was definitely worse in the UK - and i'm not talking about material possessions, I'm talking about time and freedom to do stuff.

I'm completely reversed - despite our material possessions and "quantity" of life being much more here than in the UK, time and freedom to do stuff is far, far worse. You are very lucky, I think my situation is the more common one for working folks.

TruBrit Dec 19th 2006 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN

i've not heard of many that can say that either on or off the forum infact quite the opposite...

good for you anyway :)

Jerseygirl Dec 19th 2006 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by TruBrit
i've not heard of many that can say that either on or off the forum infact quite the opposite...

good for you anyway :)

Give the guy some credit....we've got plenty of time on our hands. ;)

TruBrit Dec 19th 2006 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Give the guy some credit....we've got plenty of time on our hands. ;)

lol i'm talking about the workers here, the bread winners ;)