British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   What would make you move back to the UK? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/what-would-make-you-move-back-uk-414332/)

BigDavyG Jan 2nd 2007 10:56 am

Re: What would make you move back to the UK?

Have been for 2 weeks - back to the US on Sunday though :(

BigDavyG Jan 2nd 2007 10:58 am

Originally Posted by BigDavyG (Post 4241980)
Have been for 2 weeks - back to the US on Sunday though :(

Actually listening to five live right now talking about people who have changed careers - extremely interesting.

Poppy girl Jan 2nd 2007 11:48 am

Originally Posted by BigDavyG (Post 4241971)
Exchange rate does suck, but then again its only about 10% worse than it was this time last year.

TV is far superior, even with just the 4 channels.

Eating out is ridiculously cheap in the US and expensive in the UK - solution - don't eat out as much.

Crime ?? Did you witness any of this yourself at first hand. Personally I have witnessed no crime since I have been back. Setting fire to cars would happen in only the worst areas, a bit like drivebys in the US - prob not much of a problem if you stay clear of Compton or South-side Chicago.

Hi Davy
We are back in the Mid then cold but great.
In answer to your question no I did not personally, but I am not sure if it was on Crime Watch or another Cop show that I saw, that actually showed the footage of the Phone box's been set on fire and the little sods running away from them.

NICE TO BE BACK HEY:D

gruffbrown Jan 2nd 2007 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by Poppy girl (Post 4242078)
In answer to your question no I did not personally, but I am not sure if it was on Crime Watch or another Cop show that I saw, that actually showed the footage of the Phone box's been set on fire and the little sods running away from them.

Criminals on Crimewatch? Bloody country is going to the dogs I tell ya.

Sally Jan 2nd 2007 5:08 pm

Do they still have phone boxes?

Rompers Jan 2nd 2007 5:11 pm

A couple of villages round here still have the traditional red ones.

Elvira Jan 2nd 2007 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by Rompers (Post 4243632)
A couple of villages round here still have the traditional red ones.

It's interesting to see where all the rest have ended up. There's one "downtown" in our little town, and I once saw one in somebody's back garden in ............ Switzerland!!:confused:

gardnma Jan 2nd 2007 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by Elvira (Post 4243787)
It's interesting to see where all the rest have ended up. There's one "downtown" in our little town, and I once saw one in somebody's back garden in ............ Switzerland!!:confused:

There are two of the old iron phone boxes in a theme park near here in VA. Its nice that they added them to the English part of the park, now they just need to finish the job by vandalising it, removing the handset and urinating inside it. A dead dog would be a novel touch....

Put a sign up as directions to an authentic UK public toilet.....:D

jumping doris Jan 2nd 2007 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by Elvira (Post 4243787)

We had red phone boxes in out little town in the UK until summer 2005. They (whoever "they "were) came and took them away and in most cases they weren't replaced with anything.
It was so sad to see them taken away and presumably sold.

Re crime... I read our old local paper on line and apparently the new "crime du jour" is to take the perspex out of the bus shelters and throw it onto the road so the cars skid on it. When we lived there the glass was always smashed in the shelters and duly replaced only to be smashed the following weekend. I could never understand why the council didn't just leave the windows empty.

jumping doris Jan 2nd 2007 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by gardnma (Post 4243890)
There are two of the old iron phone boxes in a theme park near here in VA. Its nice that they added them to the English part of the park, now they just need to finish the job by vandalising it, removing the handset and urinating inside it. A dead dog would be a novel touch....

There will also need to be something smelly in the corner wrapped in dirty newspaper. And a vague smell of burning.

Elvira Jan 2nd 2007 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by gardnma (Post 4243890)

Would that be Busch Gardens?:D

Do they still have that Pompeii water ride thingy?

cindyabs Jan 2nd 2007 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by Elvira (Post 4243957)
Would that be Busch Gardens?:D

Do they still have that Pompeii water ride thingy?

When we lived there, they used to have EXCELLENT lasagna, pleasantly surprised me!