Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What would make you move back to the UK?

What would make you move back to the UK?

Old Dec 23rd 2006, 5:03 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What would make you move back to the UK?

Originally Posted by gardnma
Considering the astronomical cost of housing, uncertainty of ever being fully settled again after a time away and some of the horror stories you hear involving starting all over again,.........

Does anyone else feel that regular trips back whilst maintaining a life here is a better alternative to the gamble of going back for good?

Beginning to see it as the only viable option............
If only I could afford the regular trips back I would be happier here.
The thought of returning and starting again is very scary.
Old Dec 23rd 2006, 5:11 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jumping doris
If only I could afford the regular trips back I would be happier here.
The thought of returning and starting again is very scary.

If you avoid the summer months...the airfare isn't too bad. I've just booked Newark to Manchester for just over $400 inclusive of taxes etc. You can get even better deals to London.
Old Dec 23rd 2006, 6:17 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
If you avoid the summer months...the airfare isn't too bad. I've just booked Newark to Manchester for just over $400 inclusive of taxes etc. You can get even better deals to London.
Mine was similar in October. Why is it cheaper to get a return than one way, the one way price was silly money.
Old Dec 23rd 2006, 8:14 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rodney you plonker
Better wages....... The fact that people are earning 70 to 80 grand (in pounds) and are just scraping by is scary. :scared:
Sorry, that sound like total bollocks to me. We were a family on half that figure, and OK, we were last living there 5 years ago, but we did alright on that money. Anyone who can't manage on that kind of money needs to seriously revise what they spend their money on each month.
Old Dec 23rd 2006, 8:15 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

It's not just the airfares though. I don't have any family left to stay with anymore, so paying for somewhere to stay costs a bloody fortune.
Old Dec 23rd 2006, 10:55 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ladyofthelake
It's not just the airfares though. I don't have any family left to stay with anymore, so paying for somewhere to stay costs a bloody fortune.
We are the same. The other thing that makes it expensive is that we are buying 5 tickets.
Also the school holidays here are not very good for travelling...no time off really other than the long Summer holiday. Our school district really frowns on time off during the school term. Never mind in 6 years they will all be at college
Old Dec 23rd 2006, 11:06 pm
No income tax no V.A.T.

Rodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ladyofthelake
Sorry, that sound like total bollocks to me. We were a family on half that figure, and OK, we were last living there 5 years ago, but we did alright on that money. Anyone who can't manage on that kind of money needs to seriously revise what they spend their money on each month.
LOL........ I was earning that myself 5 years ago. I am talking about now. I was home in April and had the same thoughts, but I stood corrected once I spoke to a few people. When I saw the kind of money they are earning now I couldn't believe they were skint.

Lets ask Gruff, he is there now.... Whats the current state of affairs back home Gruff?
Old Dec 23rd 2006, 11:08 pm
No income tax no V.A.T.

Rodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond repute

I just saw Baltimore to London for $191 round trip with united airlines.

http://www.cheapflights.com/flights/...shington-Intl/
Old Dec 23rd 2006, 11:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: What would make you move back to the UK?

When I was over, in Blighty, I replaced my Old UK Paper Licence, with the New Style "Photo-Card." My PCV (formerly the PSV) Licence is still valid. As far as the DVLA is concerned, I still live in Merseyside.

My elderly mother and I visited the Land Registry Office and transferred her house (where I used to live) into my name. This cost around 75 quid, took about 15 minutes and no lawyers were involved. The Social Security will not be able to take possession of the house if my mother ever has to move into a nursing home.

I also sat down with the General Manager of the Bus Company I used to drive for. He stated that I would be welcomed back. I could reduce my hours worked to 60 per week and make $56,000+ per year. This week, Mon-Fri, I worked 3 x 16 hour days + 2 x 18 hour days. Being a Bus Driver, I would get free travel, hence I wouldn't need a car. I could rent one if the situation required it. I would also go back to 6 weeks vacation per year, instead of the 3 I have now........with 10 years service!

Moving back to the UK is looking like a very good possibility for me.

Jim.
Old Dec 23rd 2006, 11:52 pm
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

Lets ask Gruff, he is there now.... Whats the current state of affairs back home Gruff?
If gruff is in Scotland it is different and not as bad there though in the nicer/busier areas it is catching up with the rest of the UK.
Old Dec 24th 2006, 12:21 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by irnbru4u
If gruff is in Scotland it is different and not as bad there though in the nicer/busier areas it is catching up with the rest of the UK.
He is not in Scotland....he's down sarf.
Old Dec 24th 2006, 12:37 am
Who?

I just saw Baltimore to London for $191 round trip with united airlines.

http://www.cheapflights.com/flights/...shington-Intl/
My two teenagers want to go back to the UK next June to visit friends. It will be their first trip back and they are really looking forward to it. The cheapest flights I can find are $941 + taxes from Pittsburgh to Manchester. Cheaper, slightly if they fly from Toronto but then we have to get them there. We chose June as their friends are all doing GCSE'S and will have finished by then, and we thought the flights would be cheaper than July or August.

The prices seem to be going up by the day and we now have the complication of not being able to travel as part of the GC process. At the moment our immigration lawyer knows it will be sometime next year but not exactly when, so we can't the tickets until we know.
Old Dec 24th 2006, 12:40 am
Account Closed

gardnma will become famous soon enough

My two teenagers want to go back to the UK next June to visit friends. It will ................................next year but not exactly when, so we can't the tickets until we know.
It sucks to be on a desert island doesn't it?
Best of luck.
Old Dec 24th 2006, 12:46 am
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

He is not in Scotland....he's down sarf.
What was that about the jokes about him in Scotland then was he just visiting?

I've been misreading again or was drunk

Last edited by Irn-bru; Dec 24th 2006 at 1:03 am.
Old Dec 24th 2006, 1:36 am
SUPER MODERATOR

My two teenagers want to go back to the UK next June to visit friends. It will be their first trip back and they are really looking forward to it. The cheapest flights I can find are $941 + taxes from Pittsburgh to Manchester. Cheaper, slightly if they fly from Toronto but then we have to get them there. We chose June as their friends are all doing GCSE'S and will have finished by then, and we thought the flights would be cheaper than July or August.

The prices seem to be going up by the day and we now have the complication of not being able to travel as part of the GC process. At the moment our immigration lawyer knows it will be sometime next year but not exactly when, so we can't the tickets until we know.

Maybe cheaper to fly them to London from Pittsburgh...there are a lot more US flights to London therefore the prices are more competitive. Look into London/Philly or NY (Newark or JFK). June/July/August are the most expensive times to travel. Flying to Toronto is pricey...almost the same price as flying to the UK...it takes 8 hrs to drive there from Northern NJ.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.