Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

This is what we are looking at doing...

This is what we are looking at doing...

Old Jun 7th 2007, 3:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: This is what we are looking at doing...

Originally Posted by meauxna
Tracy, when in doubt, take the time to look it up before you post (and supply a link or source) so you can support your claims. That's what keeps the board helpful.

US citizenship is not a requirement for school loans.
If I state something as fact, I will indeed do my research first. However, I did not make a claim - I said I doubted it. It was my intention that the OP do her research and find out if he would be eligible.

And from some sources (which I don't absolutely trust, therefore not posting those links) you DO have to be a citizen for some at least some loans.

Also if he comes on a K-1, I still seriously doubt he can get government loans at that point - he would not be a LPR yet. Finding information on what you can and can't do on K-1 or pending adjustment status is not always the easiest thing either.

Again, I did not do the research for the OP, I am simply hoping that she will do it. I would hope she would research it, finding some government sources if possible.
Old Jun 7th 2007, 4:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

oh well, here's a good link then. I believe I was correct - he cannot get a loan before AOS. Unless someone reads that differently.

http://www.studentaid.ed.gov/student...tant-terms.htm
Old Jun 7th 2007, 4:07 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

heheh.. I was just off collecting my own 5-second google, which turned this up on the first page

http://www.saic.edu/life/financial/f...#international

Alternative/private loans are available to International students that can secure a co-signer that a United States citizen and is credit worthy. The Student Financial Services staff can suggest recommended lenders, however, the any lender that participates in Alternative/Private loans for International students may be used if the student so desires.

"school loans" is a broad subject matter.

Don't get your back up; it's my suggestion that speculation is less helpful than real information.
Old Jun 7th 2007, 4:07 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by roybgiv
I'm really in the mood for success stories. I love hearing people being happy and getting things worked out, and of course we want the same thing for ourselves.
I consider ours a success story, if you want to hear it. I first met my man in 1997 when I was on vacation in Turkey, it was pretty much love at first sight for me. We lost touch and I went to "find" him again in Turkey in 2001. I found him, it clicked, and we spent 2 years getting to know each other on the phone. I went back again in 2003, then started his K-1 paperwork when I got back to the USA. It took 14 months to process his K-1 visa because of his Iranian nationality (yours should take like half that time). We spent those 14 months apart because of work and finance constraints. He got his K-1 in 2004, he came here, we got married, and he got his conditional 2-year green card in 2005. We just applied for his 10-year green card last month. We've been married just over 3 years and couldn't be happier. It was neither fast nor easy, but it was a complete success.

One thing no one mentioned yet, is that with the K-1 visa, your fiance can self-sponsor if he has enough income or assets to qualify. There is no set amount he needs, it's up to the London consulate to decide if it's enough...but many people have done it, and it relieves you of having to be his sponsor until he comes to the USA and applies for his GC. At that point you will need to sponsor him, but you'll probably have your job by then. If he doesn't have enough to self-sponsor, then any USC or PR living in the USA can be a joint sponsor with you, if they meet the income requirements.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Jun 7th 2007, 4:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by meauxna
heheh.. I was just off collecting my own 5-second google, which turned this up on the first page

http://www.saic.edu/life/financial/f...#international

Alternative/private loans are available to International students that can secure a co-signer that a United States citizen and is credit worthy. The Student Financial Services staff can suggest recommended lenders, however, the any lender that participates in Alternative/Private loans for International students may be used if the student so desires.

"school loans" is a broad subject matter.

Don't get your back up; it's my suggestion that speculation is less helpful than real information.
Another college student with their own loans is probably not going to be a credit-worthy co-signer though.

I just think the OP must be very careful that he can get his education ok. Also, she needs to find out whether his school credits so far can be transferred to the US college he'd be attending.

It actually took me a few attenpts to find out the loan info I did. I'd seen references to it before, but didn't have time to look earlier. I just meant to point out the potential problem.

I wish them the best of luck. They do sound very young.
Old Jun 7th 2007, 4:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I consider ours a success story, if you want to hear it. I first met my man in 1997 when I was on vacation in Turkey, it was pretty much love at first sight for me. We lost touch and I went to "find" him again in Turkey in 2001. I found him, it clicked, and we spent 2 years getting to know each other on the phone. I went back again in 2003, then started his K-1 paperwork when I got back to the USA. It took 14 months to process his K-1 visa because of his Iranian nationality (yours should take like half that time). We spent those 14 months apart because of work and finance constraints. He got his K-1 in 2004, he came here, we got married, and he got his conditional 2-year green card in 2005. We just applied for his 10-year green card last month. We've been married just over 3 years and couldn't be happier. It was neither fast nor easy, but it was a complete success.

One thing no one mentioned yet, is that with the K-1 visa, your fiance can self-sponsor if he has enough income or assets to qualify. There is no set amount he needs, it's up to the London consulate to decide if it's enough...but many people have done it, and it relieves you of having to be his sponsor until he comes to the USA and applies for his GC. At that point you will need to sponsor him, but you'll probably have your job by then. If he doesn't have enough to self-sponsor, then any USC or PR living in the USA can be a joint sponsor with you, if they meet the income requirements.

Best Wishes,
Rene
To self-sponsor with his income, doesn't that income have to continue from the same source after he comes to the US? (a UK job wouldn't work) Or is that somehow incorrect?

Assets of course would work, but I have the impression from the previous posts that this is not an option for them.
Old Jun 7th 2007, 4:16 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: This is what we are looking at doing...

Can't one of the Mods split this thread? All this has very little to do with the OP...

Last edited by Elvira; Jun 7th 2007 at 4:18 am.
Old Jun 7th 2007, 4:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Elvira
Can't one of the Mods split this threat? All this has very little to do with the OP...
Oh cripes, my bad, I forgot there were two of them in here. I meant the latest "OP", not the original one.
Old Jun 7th 2007, 4:25 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym
To self-sponsor with his income, doesn't that income have to continue from the same source after he comes to the US? (a UK job wouldn't work) Or is that somehow incorrect?
You're thinking of the requirement on the I-864 for DCF through London. In that case, the income must continue from the same source, if the UKC's income is used.

For the K-1, self-sponsoring just means showing you have funds in the bank or assets of an amount agreeable to the ConOff.

Rene
Old Jun 7th 2007, 5:03 am
Forum Regular

olliewat has much to be proud ofolliewat has much to be proud ofolliewat has much to be proud ofolliewat has much to be proud ofolliewat has much to be proud ofolliewat has much to be proud ofolliewat has much to be proud ofolliewat has much to be proud ofolliewat has much to be proud ofolliewat has much to be proud ofolliewat has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by roybgiv
I hate the K-1 for the whole sponsoring thing...
Nobody has pointed this out yet, but it isn't just the K-1 that requires sponsorship. Even if you tried to do things the "easy" *coughillegalcough* way or went straight to the CR-1 (through the I-130), you would have to provide an I-864 and prove you make enough money to support the two of you.

So, you're facing THAT hurdle no matter what.

And, for the record, while I consider my marriage to be a success story, I had met someone a couple of years earlier online that I swore up and down was my soulmate. But he misrepresented himself to me and when I did meet him face-to-face I was NOT attracted to him AT ALL! FAR from what I had envisioned the "how I met your father" story to go.
Old Jun 7th 2007, 5:29 am
Just Joined

Michigal is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tracym
Niko, you do realise it is your fiancee that has to start the ball rolling, with the I-129F paperwork. That is filed by the U.S. citizen, and filed in the U.S. Once that is approved (perhaps 3 months), it gets forwarded to London, and THEN you apply for the visa.

Also, are you aware of the affadavit of support requirement? That your fiancee (or you if you self-sponsor) has to have sufficient income/assets?

A lawyer in the U.S. would be MUCH less expensive than one in the UK - perhaps you and your fiance might go find one while you're over there. We commonly refer people to www.ailalawyer.com.

Forgive me if this is information that you already know.
Hello, I myself am new here, and thoroughly confused about the entire process/possibilities of moving my fiance here from the UK to the US. I have read a considerable amount of the posts, which has helped to brighten the light bulb a bit for me... but I still have some questions if anyone could help.

My significant other is a resident of the UK, I'm in the US ... and we want for him to be able to move here as quickly as possible. I have been to the UK a few times, and he has been here twice...but we are not quite ready to get married. We would like for him to come here for the 3 months allowed on the VWP before making the big jump. According to what I have read, applying for the K-1 visa takes a lot of time... should we apply for this now? I'm not clear as to whether or not he will be able to come here during the processing time.

Also, Tracym mentioned the affadavit of support requirement? What is this? Is there a site somewhere that specifies what the requirements are whether I sponsor him or he sponsors himself? Seems so much easier for me to move to the UK for a while, except that it's unbelievably EXPENSIVE... and I have kids, which would be another forum all on it's own.

Thank you so much in advance for your help...

Michigal
Old Jun 7th 2007, 6:25 am
Just Joined

Apparently I should read the "whole post" before duplicating someone else's questions. I found the information about the support requirements (thanks for including the link Tracym)... to make sure that I understand, as long as I make more then the national poverty level of my family size, including him...I shouldn't have any issues with this portion yes?

Also, I have not been able to find out the fees for the K-1. What I found has the app fee of $49.95... if this is correct, does anyone know what they will go up to as of July 31?

Sorry for the confusion...

Michigal
Old Jun 7th 2007, 6:35 am

Originally Posted by Michigal
We would like for him to come here for the 3 months allowed on the VWP before making the big jump. According to what I have read, applying for the K-1 visa takes a lot of time... should we apply for this now? I'm not clear as to whether or not he will be able to come here during the processing time.
Yes, he's allowed to come to the USA during the K-1 process. Or, he could just come visit you until you're ready for marriage and then start the K-1 process.

Also, Tracym mentioned the affadavit of support requirement? What is this? Is there a site somewhere that specifies what the requirements are whether I sponsor him or he sponsors himself?
Go to www.uscis.gov, Forms, and look at the I-134 and the I-864. If you go the K-1 route, these are the 2 affidavits of support you will need. It's possible, for the K-1, to the UKC to show his own funds at the interview instead of the I-134, but you'll still need to do an I-864 when he wants to adjust his status to permanent resident once he's here and you get married on the K-1.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Jun 7th 2007, 6:38 am

Originally Posted by Michigal
Apparently I should read the "whole post" before duplicating someone else's questions. I found the information about the support requirements (thanks for including the link Tracym)... to make sure that I understand, as long as I make more then the national poverty level of my family size, including him...I shouldn't have any issues with this portion yes?
Yes.

Also, I have not been able to find out the fees for the K-1. What I found has the app fee of $49.95... if this is correct, does anyone know what they will go up to as of July 31?
$49.95 is incorrect, it's currently more than that. www.uscis.gov, Forms, I-129F for fiance visa, will show you the current fee. I just looked it up, currently it's $170.00.

Here is the new fee schedule as of July 30, 2007: http://www.uscis.gov/files/nativedoc...dule052907.pdf. The new fee for filing the I-129F will be $455.00.

Rene
Old Jun 7th 2007, 8:19 am
Just Joined

Thank you again for the information... I feel like I at least know where to start now.

If he were to come here on the VWP and we decided to move forward with marraige... would I have to wait until he has left the country to file? No chance I'm sure of the K-1 being approved within the 3 months. Would he have to do anything special if I were to file tomorrow for the K-1 (before the fees go up) and he was able to come visit next month? Or would he still be allowed entry via the VWP?

Michigal

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.