Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

This is what we are looking at doing...

This is what we are looking at doing...

Old Jun 4th 2007, 9:16 pm
Just Joined

atnixon is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb This is what we are looking at doing...

Hello there, am new to the site and it appears to be a wealth of knowledge and experience..So, if i explain what myself and my partner want to do, and see if people see any issues or throw up any red flags maybe...

I live in the UK and my partner lives in the US. We are looking to meet up in the coming month and we shall be getting engaged. After the short holiday, i shall be returning back to England to start the visa process off. I have found a solicitor that will be taking care of all the paperwork side of the matter..

Can anybody see any issues thus far..in our thoughts..

Thank to everybody in advance..

Niko
Old Jun 4th 2007, 9:22 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: This is what we are looking at doing...

Originally Posted by atnixon

Can anybody see any issues thus far..in our thoughts..
Yes, if you and your partner are the same gender.

'Partner' in the US is more commonly used to refer to a same-sex love interest vs in the UK.

Document your meeting thoroughly--your attorney should offer you tips. You did mean attorney, right?
(darn language barrier)

Otherwise, happy engagement.
Old Jun 4th 2007, 9:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

HunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond repute

The only thing I see is you are referring to your 'partner'. This is usually done by gay people. If that's the case, you should know that gay marriage (or engagement) isn't recognized by the US government for immigration purposes.

ETA: LOL Meauxna.... you just beat me to it... *grin*
Old Jun 4th 2007, 9:34 pm
Just Joined

ha ha ha ha....no, my partner is female and lives in the US....

Thanks...language barrier....DOH !!!!

Niko ( a bloke )
Old Jun 4th 2007, 10:45 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

ha ha ha ha....no, my partner is female and lives in the US....

Thanks...language barrier....DOH !!!!

Niko ( a bloke )
Don't worry, some of us around here speak English
Old Jun 4th 2007, 11:11 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride
Don't worry, some of us around here speak English
And others are bilingual.
Oh yeah, I've got Spanish too. Make it tri!
Old Jun 4th 2007, 11:32 pm
Just Joined

ha ha ha ha.....i shall just be sticking to english here am afraid....

What do people think then? about myself and my FEMALE partner ( lol...sorry, had to get that one in ) way of doing things?

Thanks

Niko
Old Jun 4th 2007, 11:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

It will take bloody year's, my OH came back over to the UK we got married then the GC go ahead came about 18 month's after that.
Old Jun 4th 2007, 11:46 pm
Just Joined

ok...

This is what i have been told...then take it from there...

I go over to the US, we are getting engaged, then when i return to the UK, we start the fiance visa application, which i have been told is about 6 months, when this is through, i can then go the the US and we can get mariade and i apply for a change of status....

Have i been passed miss-information here do you know?

Niko
Old Jun 4th 2007, 11:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

HunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond repute

Nope, sounds pretty good. The fiance visa is called a K1. I have no idea about the time frames, but you seem to have the process in the right order.... which is half the battle really.... LOL.
Old Jun 4th 2007, 11:52 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

ok...

I go over to the US, we are getting engaged, then when i return to the UK, we start the fiance visa application, which i have been told is about 6 months, when this is through, i can then go the the US and we can get mariade and i apply for a change of status....

Niko
It's one way. There are others...
Old Jun 5th 2007, 12:46 am

Originally Posted by fatbrit
It's one way. There are others...
Oh don't start. The man has taken advice from a professional and made his choice. He wants to know if he understands what he's been told.

Niko, it does not take 'years' to move here to marry your GF.

http://www.familybasedimmigration.co...d.php?t=417#KV
K-1 Fiance(e) Visa

If your fiancé(e) is not a citizen of the United States and you plan to get married in the United States, then you must file a petition with USCIS on behalf of your fiancé(e).
After the petition is approved, your fiancé(e) must obtain a visa issued at a U.S. Embassy or consulate abroad.
The marriage must take place within 90 days of your fiancé(e) entering the United States. If the marriage does not take place within 90 days or your fiancé(e) marries someone other than you (the U.S. citizen filing USCIS Form I-129F - Petition for Alien Fiancé), your fiancé(e) will be required to leave the United States.
Until the marriage takes place, your fiancé(e) is considered a non-immigrant. A non-immigrant is a foreign national seeking to temporarily enter the United States for a specific purpose. A fiancé(e) may not obtain an extension of the 90-day original non-immigrant admission.

After you come as a non-immigrant fiance, you file papers to *Adjust Status to Permanent Resident* to make you an immigrant. This is often called "AOS online.
Permanent Residents have a document called a Green Card to show that they have permission to live and work in the US.
Old Jun 5th 2007, 2:32 am
Payed up premium member

evoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond repute

ok...

Niko
Thats what I did and thats to the day how long it took. I didn't use a brief though.

How is Staffordshire these days?
Old Jun 5th 2007, 6:30 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by meauxna
Oh don't start. The man has taken advice from a professional and made his choice. He wants to know if he understands what he's been told.

Niko, it does not take 'years' to move here to marry your GF.

http://www.familybasedimmigration.co...d.php?t=417#KV
K-1 Fiance(e) Visa

If your fiancé(e) is not a citizen of the United States and you plan to get married in the United States, then you must file a petition with USCIS on behalf of your fiancé(e).
After the petition is approved, your fiancé(e) must obtain a visa issued at a U.S. Embassy or consulate abroad.
The marriage must take place within 90 days of your fiancé(e) entering the United States. If the marriage does not take place within 90 days or your fiancé(e) marries someone other than you (the U.S. citizen filing USCIS Form I-129F - Petition for Alien Fiancé), your fiancé(e) will be required to leave the United States.
Until the marriage takes place, your fiancé(e) is considered a non-immigrant. A non-immigrant is a foreign national seeking to temporarily enter the United States for a specific purpose. A fiancé(e) may not obtain an extension of the 90-day original non-immigrant admission.

After you come as a non-immigrant fiance, you file papers to *Adjust Status to Permanent Resident* to make you an immigrant. This is often called "AOS online.
Permanent Residents have a document called a Green Card to show that they have permission to live and work in the US.
at the end of the day, we want to be together through the quickest route, and i have been told that the fiance route is the quickest one, and the other route of me just going over there, getting marriade and coming back home can take well over a year...

Can anybody comment on that please?

Originally Posted by evoal2003
Thats what I did and thats to the day how long it took. I didn't use a brief though.

How is Staffordshire these days?
Its very good thank you...Do i take you know the place? or know know of it?

Thanks so far everyone...

Niko
Old Jun 5th 2007, 2:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Here is a tracking site where you can see how long it has been taking for some people. The site seems to be down at the moment (for me anyway) but hopefully it will come back

http://www.trackitt.com/usa-immigrat.../family-based/

My I-129F petition took exactly 3 months, and just over one more month for the paperwork to get to London. Don't have the visa part yet done though, although I would expect 2 months or so, if nothing goes wrong.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.