Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What A Waste

What A Waste

Old Jun 9th 2004, 2:59 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down What A Waste

I had a phone call from my best friend here (she's an expat from Sydney) on Monday morning as she needed an emergency operation and asked if I could drive her to the hospital.

My friend is self-employed and pays $300 per week for her medical insurance to cover herself and two children. She can't get the cheaper insurance 'group' rates that people who work for MNCs pay.

We arrived at the hospital (university medical centre) and were astonished at the luxurious ambience; there was a huge atrium at the main entrance with 9 x 30ft palm trees, marble floors, walls and a large indoor waterfall. The visitors waiting room had at least 8 varieties of flavoured coffees, teas, cocoa etc. all free of charge. The hospital gowns had 'Nicole Miller' designer labels sewn on them. The reception area outside the surgical area had a large list for optional (payable) treatments such as facials, massages, manicures etc. Outside the hospital there was a large fountain and lots of landscaping effects. The hospital fee started at $865 per day...which excluded medical fees, aneathsthetist charges etc.

It was not so disimillar to walking into a 5* Hyatt or Four Seasons hotel. My friend was really annoyed about the level of luxury provided at the hospital; she had no choice as it was the one her doctor sent her to, but her view was that she would much rather pay a lower rate of insurance and get a less salubrious atmosphere as long as the medical treatment was of a good standard. I had to agree.
Old Jun 9th 2004, 3:24 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What A Waste

Originally posted by Englishmum
I had a phone call from my best friend here (she's an expat from Sydney) on Monday morning as she needed an emergency operation and asked if I could drive her to the hospital.

My friend is self-employed and pays $300 per week for her medical insurance to cover herself and two children. She can't get the cheaper insurance 'group' rates that people who work for MNCs pay.

We arrived at the hospital (university medical centre) and were astonished at the luxurious ambience; there was a huge atrium at the main entrance with 9 x 30ft palm trees, marble floors, walls and a large indoor waterfall. The visitors waiting room had at least 8 varieties of flavoured coffees, teas, cocoa etc. all free of charge. The hospital gowns had 'Nicole Miller' designer labels sewn on them. The reception area outside the surgical area had a large list for optional (payable) treatments such as facials, massages, manicures etc. Outside the hospital there was a large fountain and lots of landscaping effects. The hospital fee started at $865 per day...which excluded medical fees, aneathsthetist charges etc.

It was not so disimillar to walking into a 5* Hyatt or Four Seasons hotel. My friend was really annoyed about the level of luxury provided at the hospital; she had no choice as it was the one her doctor sent her to, but her view was that she would much rather pay a lower rate of insurance and get a less salubrious atmosphere as long as the medical treatment was of a good standard. I had to agree.

I'll bet they had little chocolates on the pillows, too. The hospitals in Chicago are like that too, except for the County Hospital which is the only place for people who with no money and no insurance.

Luckily, I've only been in a hospital here to have a baby. The only thing I got free was an infection.

Come to think of it, it wasn't free because I had to stay an extra two days and pay for bed, board (green jello only) and antibiotics.
Old Jun 9th 2004, 3:25 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Medical costs in the US are crazy. Some reasons are the exorbitant malpractice insurance practitioners have to pay in this litigious society; the number of unnecessary tests they do before any kind of treatment (again because of fear of lawsuits); and the ridiculous salaries of many medical staff (I'm thinking doctors, not nurse staff).

I had never thought about the add-on effect of the opulent luxury of many hospitals, but you're right. Our local hospital has artwork hanging all over the walls, for example. Like you said, better than a 5 star hotel (and more expensive!)
Old Jun 9th 2004, 3:35 pm
Banned

Gross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the rough

would you be happy to seek treatment in a dilapidated building. the ambience is part of the healing/treatment process. must be soothing/uplifting for depressed/troubled/worried patients. and it also serves to help those who work in such stressful environment.

of course, there might be some excessiveness. but better to over do it than provide sub-standard atmosphere. at 865 bucks a night, makes your stay at the hospital memorable.

try matching this to the best hospitals in london. Guys is a dump but St Thomas is undergoing some uplifting. looks much better nowadays.
Old Jun 9th 2004, 4:17 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Gross50

try matching this to the best hospitals in london. Guys is a dump but St Thomas is undergoing some uplifting. looks much better nowadays.
Now thats unfair as you are not matching like for like. You have to compare a private hospital with a private hospital. I am 100% sure the one that Gwenyth Paltrow gave birth in (in london) was as oppulent as the one you describe. The only difference is I could never afford to go to that one but if insurance is good enough in the US, I may be able to go to the other one.

Its the first class principal, if you have enough money you might as well go first class. If you fly 1st class you don't arrive any quicker or have any less hassles at the airport but the ride is more enjoyable, the same has to be said for hospitals, your treatment won't be any better or worse but the overall experience will be more pleasant.

Welcome to america where money buys you luxury, and the dirt poor die. Goodbye UK where everyone is treated the same, even if that means Guys is a dump.

Patrick
Old Jun 9th 2004, 4:21 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Patrick
Now thats unfair as you are not matching like for like. You have to compare a private hospital with a private hospital. I am 100% sure the one that Gwenyth Paltrow gave birth in (in london) was as oppulent as the one you describe. The only difference is I could never afford to go to that one but if insurance is good enough in the US, I may be able to go to the other one.

Its the first class principal, if you have enough money you might as well go first class. If you fly 1st class you don't arrive any quicker or have any less hassles at the airport but the ride is more enjoyable, the same has to be said for hospitals, your treatment won't be any better or worse but the overall experience will be more pleasant.

Welcome to america where money buys you luxury, and the dirt poor die. Goodbye UK where everyone is treated the same, even if that means Guys is a dump.

Patrick
On the other hand, when you have a 6-inch incision in your abdomen through seven separate layers of tissue and muscle, the only thing that really matters is drugs.

(I do mean the legal kind, before I get told off again.)
Old Jun 9th 2004, 4:25 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Lion in Winter
On the other hand, when you have a 6-inch incision in your abdomen through seven separate layers of tissue and muscle, the only thing that really matters is drugs.

Thanks, you just made me vomit.

Drugs, and some doctor who also takes sewing classes. #
Old Jun 9th 2004, 5:01 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Having a competent surgon and anesthesiologist, and nursing staff is kinda nice too. Also a natal emergency unit is kinda cool. Sterile envronment ain't bad either.
Old Jun 9th 2004, 5:13 pm
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Ben has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond repute

I have been to 4 different hospitals on Long Island and not one of them are like you described EM. Schneider's Children's hospital is lovely for the children where they have game machines, tv with video and good variety of clean toys to play with, but it was no different aesthetically to walking into Nottingham city hospital or Grimsby hospital. However it was different to the Queen Medical centre in Nottingham because that is just a concrete jungle!

the other 3 I have been into on Long Island were basic shells that just look like a bunch of offices with trees and greenery, with flower beds, all around.

Old Jun 10th 2004, 1:31 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

would you be happy to seek treatment in a dilapidated building. the ambience is part of the healing/treatment process. must be soothing/uplifting for depressed/troubled/worried patients. and it also serves to help those who work in such stressful environment.

Huh, my friend wasn't the slightest bit interested in looking around at all the palm trees, waterfall or be impressed by all the granite and polished marble in the couple of minutes she was at the reception counter to find out which floor she was due to report to. It's not as if she was going to be sitting around as if she was in an art gallery soaking up the ambience...in fact one piece of artwork in there was a sculpture of a man lying on a park bench with a newspaper over his head.....why is that needed in an hospital? (It's Hackensack University Medical Center in NJ).

Her unborn baby had died and she had to have the operation to remove it from her womb. The last thing she was interested in was the state of the decor at the hospital - just somewhere which was clean, efficient and hygienic.

She - and I - would much rather pay lower medical fees in this country than have unnecessary 'benefits' which aren't going to make any difference to physical health care.

If luxury is considered a necessity it would be best for patients to go for a post-hospital break at a resort hotel rather than everyone else having to pay for high medical insurance premiums. :lecture:
Old Jun 10th 2004, 2:09 am
Banned

Gross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the rough

She - and I - would much rather pay lower medical fees in this country than have unnecessary 'benefits' which aren't going to make any difference to physical health care.

If luxury is considered a necessity it would be best for patients to go for a post-hospital break at a resort hotel rather than everyone else having to pay for high medical insurance premiums. :lecture:
i am saddened with what happened to your friend. there is nothing sadder than loosing an unborn one (pro-choicers would dispute this). healthcare is a real issue here in the US. personally, i dont understand a thing about it, so i cant offer any solution/help. like someone said the high premiums could be lower if people weren't litigous.

sometimes me thinks that there could possibly exist people who can advice on tailored health insurance. havent heard of any. when i moved to the US my company arranged for a temporary health insurance cover as i sorted out myself. i went through the documentation and couldnt understand a thing (bear in mind, i was also going through millions of other documentation related to my move and new country). my cover expired and it was extended for a week as i tried to figure out what to choose. i finally just asked two of my US colleagues what cover they had. i chose what they had out of frustration. my point being, some people might be over insured or getting the wrong insurance.
Old Jun 10th 2004, 2:43 am
Pagan Sex God

i am saddened with what happened to your friend. there is nothing sadder than loosing an unborn one (pro-choicers would dispute this).
Your not conservative, your just a dick (some would say there is little difference)! Pro-choice is about the woman choosing whether to keep her child or not, it doesn't mean they jump for joy everytime a baby dies in the womb. Surely that would make pro-choicers pro-deathers, as they would be happy to see the whole human race die out by every unborn baby dieing.

I really can't beleive you think that someone who is pro choice is not saddened when a wanted baby dies unexpectably - thats just dumb. Some people beleive that it is the womans choice what they do with there body, it is in no related to infantcide or death in the womb. I should expect little less from someone who still supports Bush, it is a real character flaw, if after all that has happened in the last 2 years, you still think Bush should still be president

Last edited by Patrick; Jun 10th 2004 at 3:07 am.
Old Jun 10th 2004, 2:46 am

Drugs, and some doctor who also takes sewing classes. #
Actually, they just use staples now.
Old Jun 10th 2004, 2:58 am
Banned

Your not conservative, your just a dick (some would say there is little difference)! Pro-choice is about the woman choosing whether to keep her child or not, it doesn't mean they jump for joy everytime a baby dies in the womb. Surely that would make pro-choicers pro-deathers, as they would be happy to see the whole human race die out by every unborn baby dieing.

I really can't beleive you think that someone who is pro choice is not saddened when a wanted baby dies unexpectably - thats just dumb. Some people beleive that it is the womans choice what they do with there body, it is in no related to infantcide or death in the womb. I should expect little less from someone who still supports Bush.
you can do better than this. when its a wanted pregnacy its a baby, when its unwanted its not.

pro-life is about saving babies. pro-choice is about me, myself and i.
Old Jun 10th 2004, 2:58 am
Pagan Sex God

Actually, they just use staples now.
They outsource it to staples, thats outrageous, we only have Office Depot here!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.