Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What is this 'twitter'?

What is this 'twitter'?

Old Mar 16th 2009, 5:00 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is this 'twitter'?

Originally Posted by Leslie66
I've always loved you, Simon.
Move out of the way; he's mine.

Originally Posted by CitySimon
[Rant=CitySimon]

Personally, I've never been able to get my head around Twitter. Do people think that their every day ongoings are of any interest to everyone else in the world?

It screams of a level of arrogance that I'm yet to even come close to. I'm on Facebook and my status is frequently left blank for weeks simply because I'm not doing anything really worth telling anyone about. Sure, it's important and interesting to me, but why would I consider that everyone else would be remotely interested in it?

Some of the people who go on there and update their status every few minutes strike me as completely insane... What do they write? Getting up... Scratching butt (Twittering with one hand)... Making a cup of coffee... Updating Twitter... Updating Twitter... Updating Twitter... Contemplating life.

Honestly, I think that if people actually got on with life rather than spending time telling other people about the mundane events in their boring lives they might get a bit more done.

[/Rant]

Rant Ditto!
It's a poison, a pox, a curse and the end of civilization! Facebook too.
grrrr

I *needed* to know that my uncle had empanadas (that he didn't even spell correctly!!!) for dinner last night? AS he was having them? That his son was out walking the dogs?! "What kind of BRIDE will my male (married 15 years) cousin make"???

bah
Old Mar 16th 2009, 5:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CitySimon
[Rant=CitySimon]

Personally, I've never been able to get my head around Twitter. Do people think that their every day ongoings are of any interest to everyone else in the world?

It screams of a level of arrogance that I'm yet to even come close to. I'm on Facebook and my status is frequently left blank for weeks simply because I'm not doing anything really worth telling anyone about. Sure, it's important and interesting to me, but why would I consider that everyone else would be remotely interested in it?

Some of the people who go on there and update their status every few minutes strike me as completely insane... What do they write? Getting up... Scratching butt (Twittering with one hand)... Making a cup of coffee... Updating Twitter... Updating Twitter... Updating Twitter... Contemplating life.

Honestly, I think that if people actually got on with life rather than spending time telling other people about the mundane events in their boring lives they might get a bit more done.

[/Rant]

I agree with you! the more research I do on this wierd 'new'? craze, makes me wonder why it has become so popular, though it seems to be used mostly by the celebrities and the media folks? Who would have guessed that? lol.
I love to have the text option on my mobile, never thought I would use it much, but I find that I am using it more and more these days. Maybe I will say that about twitter one day (though I really don't see it!) I suppose it's ok for people that like to get news, sports results etc, at the faster speed than the tv might have it.
I'm just not sure why it's necessary (as you say)to continually/instantly know all the boring minute by minute crap that can only be said in less that 140 letters? Wierd!
Old Mar 16th 2009, 5:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna

Rant Ditto!
It's a poison, a pox, a curse and the end of civilization! Facebook too.
grrrr

I *needed* to know that my uncle had empanadas (that he didn't even spell correctly!!!) for dinner last night? AS he was having them? That his son was out walking the dogs?! "What kind of BRIDE will my male (married 15 years) cousin make"???

bah
Glad to see the OH and I aren't the only ones that don't buy into this social networking tell-the-world-i-just-took-a-crap mentality. I mean, really, who gives a rats ass?!?! Never had a myspace, facebook page and probably never will. I'll find out my news when the rest of the world finds out. Does anyone really care what I think the meaning of life may be, or that my turd just floated in the toilet instead of sinking?

And while we are ranting: why the hell can't I get a cell phone that is simply a phone??? FFS, why do I need a camera, MP3 player, texting, email, excel/word/PDA functions on a fracking phone??
Old Mar 16th 2009, 5:29 pm
Forum Regular

Sir Denis Eaton-Hogg is a splendid one to beholdSir Denis Eaton-Hogg is a splendid one to beholdSir Denis Eaton-Hogg is a splendid one to beholdSir Denis Eaton-Hogg is a splendid one to beholdSir Denis Eaton-Hogg is a splendid one to beholdSir Denis Eaton-Hogg is a splendid one to beholdSir Denis Eaton-Hogg is a splendid one to beholdSir Denis Eaton-Hogg is a splendid one to beholdSir Denis Eaton-Hogg is a splendid one to beholdSir Denis Eaton-Hogg is a splendid one to beholdSir Denis Eaton-Hogg is a splendid one to behold

Twitter = second best work procrastination tool after Facebook And can be more addictive than Meth!

Look at some of the famous Twitters, Stephen Fry is oft lauded. Look at a few of his Tweets and you will see what its all about.

Much more fun looking for 'celeb' Tweets and trying to work out which ones are real and which ones are fake... there are some priceless ones!
Old Mar 16th 2009, 5:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
And while we are ranting: why the hell can't I get a cell phone that is simply a phone??? FFS, why do I need a camera, MP3 player, texting, email, excel/word/PDA functions on a fracking phone??
TESTIFY!

I'm happy with the service and coverage of Verizon, but they're off the deep end wrt gadgety phones. Not sure what I'm going to do when my years-old "just a phone" finally packs it in.

Things I do with my phone:

1 - make calls
2 - receive calls
3 - nothing... there is no third thing!
Old Mar 16th 2009, 5:46 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna

Old Mar 16th 2009, 5:49 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bill_S
TESTIFY!

I'm happy with the service and coverage of Verizon, but they're off the deep end wrt gadgety phones. Not sure what I'm going to do when my years-old "just a phone" finally packs it in.

1 - make calls
2 - receive calls
Oh I think I can love you too ... at least until that jealous meauderator comes to steal you away with her tricks and abuse of power.
Old Mar 16th 2009, 6:44 pm
Diamond Geezer

Ridski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
Glad to see the OH and I aren't the only ones that don't buy into this social networking tell-the-world-i-just-took-a-crap mentality. I mean, really, who gives a rats ass?!?! Never had a myspace, facebook page and probably never will. I'll find out my news when the rest of the world finds out. Does anyone really care what I think the meaning of life may be, or that my turd just floated in the toilet instead of sinking?

And yet here you are on a social networking forum telling us your opinion on Twitter like any of us should care.

Seriously. You don't see the irony of that?
Old Mar 16th 2009, 6:59 pm
Diamond Geezer

Ridski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sir Denis Eaton-Hogg
Twitter = second best work procrastination tool after Facebook And can be more addictive than Meth!

Look at some of the famous Twitters, Stephen Fry is oft lauded. Look at a few of his Tweets and you will see what its all about.

Much more fun looking for 'celeb' Tweets and trying to work out which ones are real and which ones are fake... there are some priceless ones!
There's a great one for John Kreese, the character name of the Sensei from The Karate Kid. All his tweets are in character. So, yeah, while most of it is "Cheltenham station, taking a crap", there's a ton of it that's entertaining thoughts and silly competitions, much from professional comedians, such as Stephen Fry, Kevin Pollak, Rainn Wilson, Peter Serafinowicz, Jimmy Carr, Phill Jupitus, The Onion newspaper even Peter Sagal of NPR's Wait Wait Don't Tell Me. I don't check it all the time, I don't post all the time, but was fun to be able to send out a quick tweet that I was bowling with Kirsten Dunst the other day and wondering if she was on it, reading it.

But hey, each to their own. As someone upthread said, it's really more like a massive chat room than just posting what you're doing these days. Much more interactive than anyone imagined.
Old Mar 16th 2009, 7:03 pm
WTF?

Originally Posted by Ridski
And yet here you are on a social networking forum telling us your opinion on Twitter like any of us should care.

Seriously. You don't see the irony of that?
Do you really consider this a social networking sight? I think that any social networking that happens is an accidental byproduct.
Old Mar 16th 2009, 7:08 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ridski
There's a great one for John Kreese, the character name of the Sensei from The Karate Kid. All his tweets are in character. So, yeah, while most of it is "Cheltenham station, taking a crap", there's a ton of it that's entertaining thoughts and silly competitions, much from professional comedians, such as Stephen Fry, Kevin Pollak, Rainn Wilson, Peter Serafinowicz, Jimmy Carr, Phill Jupitus, The Onion newspaper even Peter Sagal of NPR's Wait Wait Don't Tell Me. I don't check it all the time, I don't post all the time, but was fun to be able to send out a quick tweet that I was bowling with Kirsten Dunst the other day and wondering if she was on it, reading it.

But hey, each to their own. As someone upthread said, it's really more like a massive chat room than just posting what you're doing these days. Much more interactive than anyone imagined.

You went bowling with Kirsten Dunst? Is she any good?
Old Mar 16th 2009, 7:10 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Do you really consider this a social networking sight? I think that any social networking that happens is an accidental byproduct.
For you maybe. I hate to break it to you, but the rest of us get together all the time. In Dallas even. We don't invite you because you're mean.
Old Mar 16th 2009, 7:13 pm
WTF?

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
For you maybe. I hate to break it to you, but the rest of us get together all the time. In Dallas even. We don't invite you because you're mean.
HA! You don't travel any further than a 15 mile radius out of that swamp you call home. You're too terrified that somebody might touch your guns or cling to your religion while your gone, Jethro.
Old Mar 16th 2009, 7:19 pm
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bill_S
TESTIFY!

1 - make calls
2 - receive calls
I lost my phone somewhere on Friday I think but really couldn't give two shits. It's either in the car, house or work somewhere ... possibly.
Makes me wonder why I want an all singing all dancing phone next as although it's my job to write programs for them I don't actually use the things as I hate people pestering me when it's not an emergency.
Old Mar 16th 2009, 7:25 pm
Unmitigated Gall

HA! You don't travel any further than a 15 mile radius out of that swamp you call home. You're too terrified that somebody might touch your guns or cling to your religion while your gone, Jethro.
I bring all my guns with me. I am going to Texas after all, I might need them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.