British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   What are making these nests? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/what-making-these-nests-481523/)

Jerseygirl Sep 16th 2007 8:28 pm

Re: What are making these nests?

Originally Posted by DollyLlama (Post 5319178)
When we lived in Illinois we got a lot of frogs, probably because we lived near a lake.
They used to fall in the window wells.
Used to scoop them out with a fishing net until one day I saw a snake sitting waiting for the next frog to fall :eek:

I hate frogs...they keep me awake at night. They sit by the pool waiting to jump at me. :mad:

TruBrit Sep 16th 2007 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by DollyLlama (Post 5319178)
When we lived in Illinois we got a lot of frogs, probably because we lived near a lake.
They used to fall in the window wells.
Used to scoop them out with a fishing net until one day I saw a snake sitting waiting for the next frog to fall :eek:

a snake omg we get rattlers here :eek:

what's a window well dolly?

DollyLlama Sep 16th 2007 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 5319185)
I hate frogs...they keep me awake at night. They sit by the pool waiting to jump at me. :mad:

Don't mind the small frogs, the big toads I don't like too much.

DollyLlama Sep 16th 2007 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by TruBrit (Post 5319186)

basement window that is under the ground

Jerseygirl Sep 16th 2007 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by TruBrit (Post 5319186)

We often find snake skins around the side of the house. We have nests of the blighters...even the babies hiss when disturbed.

DollyLlama Sep 16th 2007 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 5319202)
We often find snake skins around the side of the house. We have nests of the blighters...even the babies hiss when disturbed.

:eek::eek:

TruBrit Sep 16th 2007 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 5319202)

does your pest man not get rid of them or what happens, you can't have them that close to your house or can you :eek:

TruBrit Sep 16th 2007 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by DollyLlama (Post 5319193)
basement window that is under the ground

oh ok, tks ;)

scrubbedexpat097 Sep 16th 2007 8:43 pm

Every time we have snakes around the house OH always tells me they are chicken snakes as they are harmless. I know he is lying really but I convince myself that is all they are otherwise I would freak out....:eek:

TruBrit Sep 16th 2007 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma (Post 5319236)
Every time we have snakes around the house OH always tells me they are chicken snakes as they are harmless. I know he is lying really but I convince myself that is all they are otherwise I would freak out....:eek:

so there's you and jersey with snakes virtually on your doorstep :ohmy: so what happens? do you get them removed humanely i'd hope but non the less i couldn't live with snakes that close to my house :eek:

Jerseygirl Sep 16th 2007 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by TruBrit (Post 5319211)
does your pest man not get rid of them or what happens, you can't have them that close to your house or can you :eek:

I haven't mentioned the snakes to him because they eat all the creepy crawlies. We had one in the pool a few weeks ago...it was 4 to 5 ft long...hubby just nets them and sends them on their way. :eek:

scrubbedexpat097 Sep 16th 2007 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by TruBrit (Post 5319245)
so there's you and jersey with snakes virtually on your doorstep :ohmy: so what happens? do you get them removed humanely i'd hope but non the less i couldn't live with snakes that close to my house :eek:

No. Husband destroys them while I'm usually hopping around squealing and having a hissy fit. I have to know they are dead otherwise I imagine all kinds of places they might be...you know like in the bedroom, hanging out in the shower:eek::eek:;)

Ray Sep 16th 2007 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma (Post 5319236)

For snakes you can use snakeaway ...it smells like mothballs ..LOL..

Or the cheaper method spread mothballs around ..the garden
but leave an area clear for the snakes to escape ..

No such thing as a chicken snake... most likely a rat snake ..

Jerseygirl Sep 16th 2007 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma (Post 5319264)
No. Husband destroys them while I'm usually hopping around squealing and having a hissy fit. I have to know they are dead otherwise I imagine all kinds of places they might be...you know like in the bedroom, hanging out in the shower:eek::eek:;)

I never have the doors open and the windows are screened...but if I ever found one in the house I'd get Terminex straight on it.

Jumping things freak me out most of all and those swivel headed Praying Mantis.

cindyabs Sep 16th 2007 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by TruBrit (Post 5319165)
oh nooo :eek: i don't like frogs and the ones i've seen here are humongous :ohmy:

we haven't really noticed an excess of frogs this year our way, just mainly hear them in the house gutters.

We have little tiny ones that hang on our windows and wait for the insects to fly by.