British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   What are making these nests? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/what-making-these-nests-481523/)

Mandana Sep 16th 2007 5:14 pm

What are making these nests?

They are like small lumps of concrete on the side of walls with small holes in. At first I thought it actually was concrete or cement, but after spotting a few of them around the property, I've realised they are nests!

But what is making them and should they be 'extreminated'??

We've also got 2 wasp nests, or what look like wasps in the garden. Complete with honey-combs :ohmy:

Are these indeed wasps or strange looking bees? And again, should we be getting rid? We have Terminex treating the house every quarter - just wondering if we shouldn't call them back to treat these new pests :confused:

TruBrit Sep 16th 2007 5:17 pm

Re: What are making these nests?

Originally Posted by Mandana (Post 5318497)
They are like small lumps of concrete on the side of walls with small holes in. At first I thought it actually was concrete or cement, but after spotting a few of them around the property, I've realised they are nests!

We've also got 2 wasp nests, or what look like wasps in the garden. Complete with honey-combs :ohmy:

Are these indeed wasps or strange looking bees? And again, should we be getting rid? We have Terminex treating the house every quarter - just wondering if we shouldn't call them back to treat these new pests :confused:

haha that be the dirt dobbers http://en.allexperts.com/q/Pests-730...l-Mud-Dirt.htm

Jerseygirl Sep 16th 2007 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by Mandana (Post 5318497)

They could be the start of some sort of wasp's nest especially if they are in a sheltered position. We use Terminex too...I call them if I see any wasps nests, ants etc between the quarterly visits.

Patrick Hasler Sep 16th 2007 5:19 pm

They sound like Swallows nests to me ?

If they are really small they could be Hornets nests ..... !!

Jerseygirl Sep 16th 2007 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler (Post 5318513)
They sound like Swallows nests to me ?

If they are really small they could be Hornets nests ..... !!

That's what I thought at first. I remember having one above the dining room window in our UK house....what a mess they made. :mad:

TruBrit Sep 16th 2007 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 5318527)
That's what I thought at first. I remember having one above the dining room window in our UK house....what a mess they made. :mad:

nope these are smaller than swallow's nests, they are the local dirt dobbers.

Jerseygirl Sep 16th 2007 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by TruBrit (Post 5318574)
nope these are smaller than swallow's nests, they are the local dirt dobbers.

A swallow's nest was my first thought but reading the OP's post I realised she meant an insect not a bird.

I looked at your link...if they are the same I know them as Cicada Killer Wasps. One flew in the kitchen last summer and terrified me 'cos it was about 1 1/2" long...looked like a huge wasp but the markings were different.

Ray Sep 16th 2007 5:37 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mud_dauber

and the honeycombe sound like
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellowjacket

Mandana Sep 16th 2007 6:45 pm

Tsk .. I meant exterminated! My speel-cheeker obviously isn't turned on!

Thanks guys. I'll ring Terminex tomorrow. And Ray, yes, they do look like yellow-jackets to me. Pesky little things - stung OH too :frown:

Cheers guys

Jerseygirl Sep 16th 2007 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by Mandana (Post 5318908)
Tsk .. I meant exterminated! My speel-cheeker obviously isn't turned on!

Thanks guys. I'll ring Terminex tomorrow. And Ray, yes, they do look like yellow-jackets to me. Pesky little things - stung OH too :frown:

Cheers guys

I'm forever calling Terminex to spray the wasps...they go inbetween the brickwork and make nests in the walls. :mad:

scrubbedexpat097 Sep 16th 2007 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by TruBrit (Post 5318505)

You're right Trubrit:thumbup:

Dirt Dobbers are very very common in this area Mandana. Just grab a hammer and knock their hard dirt nest down. I do it all the time;)

TruBrit Sep 16th 2007 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma (Post 5319102)
You're right Trubrit:thumbup:

Dirt Dobbers are very very common in this area Mandana. Just grab a hammer and knock their hard dirt nest down. I do it all the time;)

yep me to, i can't resist knocking them down nor kicking the mound of soil that the red ants churn up :o i know i shouldn't coz it just makes them spread even further so my pest control man says but i still do it :sneaky: :p

scrubbedexpat097 Sep 16th 2007 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by TruBrit (Post 5319124)
yep me to, i can't resist knocking them down nor kicking the mound of soil that the red ants churn up :o i know i shouldn't coz it just makes them spread even further so my pest control man says but i still do it :sneaky: :p

:rofl:you're bad!

Our biggest problem this year is frogs, probably because it has been so wet. They are everywhere and I know I'm squishing them every time I pull up into the drive:eek:

TruBrit Sep 16th 2007 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma (Post 5319154)
:rofl:you're bad!

Our biggest problem this year is frogs, probably because it has been so wet. They are everywhere and I know I'm squishing them every time I pull up into the drive:eek:

oh nooo :eek: i don't like frogs and the ones i've seen here are humongous :ohmy:

we haven't really noticed an excess of frogs this year our way, just mainly hear them in the house gutters.

DollyLlama Sep 16th 2007 8:25 pm

When we lived in Illinois we got a lot of frogs, probably because we lived near a lake.
They used to fall in the window wells.
Used to scoop them out with a fishing net until one day I saw a snake sitting waiting for the next frog to fall :eek: