British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   What are making these nests? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/what-making-these-nests-481523/)

snowbunny Sep 17th 2007 12:00 am

Re: What are making these nests?

The mud daubers have never stung me despite living in Texas my whole life.... maybe the ones in Houston are more aggressive? :p They do control other insects, so I leave them be. Their nests look like organ pipes in a row.

Yellow and red wasps, OTOH, do sting and I knock their papery nests down the minute I see one under construction.

We had a 5' long snake on the driveway the other night.... my youngest discovered it. We checked that it wasn't a rattler (it'd crawled up into my car's engine to hide) and when we saw that it wasn't (no rattle, wrong head shape) we left it be.

Mothballs are a powerful deterrent but they are also highly toxic to plants and beneficial insects, Ray! I think I'd do more harm than good setting them out. Trap and release is better, if I had a problem I'd get a local herpetologist to come investigate.

britvic Sep 17th 2007 12:06 am

Originally Posted by DollyLlama (Post 5319189)
Don't mind the small frogs, the big toads I don't like too much.

Oh I love Frogs & Toads :wub: I was in fit's of laughter when I last stayed at my Brother's juring mating season :lol: while sitting by the pond.

elfman Sep 17th 2007 12:11 am

Originally Posted by britvic (Post 5319716)
Oh I love Frogs & Toads :wub: I was in fit's of laughter when I last stayed at my Brother's juring mating season :lol: while sitting by the pond.

so watching frogs shag does it for you?

britvic Sep 17th 2007 12:17 am

Originally Posted by elfman (Post 5319721)
so watching frogs shag does it for you?

Well put it this way, I found it a lot more entertaining watching all that lark in the morning than watching breakfast TV :lol:

elfman Sep 17th 2007 12:18 am

Originally Posted by britvic (Post 5319727)
Well put it this way, I found it a lot more entertaining watching all that lark in the morning than watching breakfast TV :lol:

alright I'll give you that

scrubbedexpat097 Sep 17th 2007 12:58 am

Originally Posted by snowbunny (Post 5319703)
The mud daubers have never stung me despite living in Texas my whole life.... maybe the ones in Houston are more aggressive? :p They do control other insects, so I leave them be. Their nests look like organ pipes in a row.

Yellow and red wasps, OTOH, do sting and I knock their papery nests down the minute I see one under construction.

We had a 5' long snake on the driveway the other night.... my youngest discovered it. We checked that it wasn't a rattler (it'd crawled up into my car's engine to hide) and when we saw that it wasn't (no rattle, wrong head shape) we left it be.

Mothballs are a powerful deterrent but they are also highly toxic to plants and beneficial insects, Ray! I think I'd do more harm than good setting them out. Trap and release is better, if I had a problem I'd get a local herpetologist to come investigate.

I don't think dirt dobbers bite or sting either.

As for snakes........I guess we look bad for killing them but having been a nurse for so long and seeing the damage some snake bites cause when people are not sure if they are poisonous or not I would rather be safe than sorry.

Yorkieabroad Sep 17th 2007 1:00 am

The .... maybe the ones in Houston are more aggressive? :p .

Blame it on I-10;)

We get the mud daubers, plus I take out hornets nests every couple of months....normally see when they are building a new one, and get it down early with a swift squirt of Raid and a broomstick. But I disturbed a big one the other night - we have a big pottery sun on the fence, and I was taking it down before hurricane Humberto flattened us (yeah, right) and as soon as I lifted it off its nails I realised I'd made a biiig mistake. Huge nest behind it and they were not amused at being disturbed. Reckon they must have been asleep though cos they were pretty slow - and Linford Christie wouldn't have caught me before I got inside the back door! Quick change into long trousers, teatowel on my head, Raid in right hand, broomstick in left. Sorted!

Been here 5 years and never seen a live snake, despite living pretty close to the Bayou and overlooking a lake. We use Cedarcide through the sprinklers to keep the mossies down (seemsto work too) and someone said told us the cedar smell also repels snakes, dunno if thats true or not, bt we've never had a visit.

Ray Sep 17th 2007 3:09 am

Trap and release is better, if I had a problem I'd get a local herpetologist to come investigate.

A shotgun is cheaper and more effective ...
If you going to spray yellow jacket nests do it late at night when they are all bed asleep

scrubbedexpat097 Sep 17th 2007 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 5319938)
A shotgun is cheaper and more effective ...

Oh good.......so I'm not the only one out for the kill.

I don't like snakes...:eek::thumbdown:

cindyabs Sep 17th 2007 9:19 pm

Did I ever tell you about my mother when she was a little girl? My grandparents, my uncle and my mother were on their way to visit my great grandmother. Mom piped up that she needed to attend to the call of nature. There were NO rest stops and it was in the boondocks, so no town to stop in. My grandfather pulled the car over and Mom flew out of the car, squatted and almost immediately started screaming. She had in her haste, straddled a wasp's nest.............. :eek::eek::eek:

scrubbedexpat097 Sep 17th 2007 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by cindyabs (Post 5323045)
Did I ever tell you about my mother when she was a little girl? My grandparents, my uncle and my mother were on their way to visit my great grandmother. Mom piped up that she needed to attend to the call of nature. There were NO rest stops and it was in the boondocks, so no town to stop in. My grandfather pulled the car over and Mom flew out of the car, squatted and almost immediately started screaming. She had in her haste, straddled a wasp's nest.............. :eek::eek::eek:

:eek::eek::ohmy:

Mandana Sep 18th 2007 1:45 am

Well Terminix are coming on Thursday afternoon, so I'll be able to confirm exactly what the nests are.

Ants, wasps and nests from God knows what. I think we should move home! :lol:

Jerseygirl Sep 18th 2007 1:49 am

Originally Posted by Mandana (Post 5323612)
Well Terminix are coming on Thursday afternoon, so I'll be able to confirm exactly what the nests are.

Ants, wasps and nests from God knows what. I think we should move home! :lol:

I don't think I could ever live in the southern states...the bugs in NJ freak me out.

Mandana Sep 20th 2007 9:22 pm

UPDATE ...

They were dirt dobber nests according to the (over friendly) Terminix guy :blink:

So now we're free of them, and wasps and ants for the time being! :thumbup:

britvic Sep 20th 2007 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by Mandana (Post 5335976)
UPDATE ...

They were dirt dobber nests according to the (over friendly) Terminix guy :blink:

So now we're free of them, and wasps and ants for the time being! :thumbup:

Over friendly :blink: you cant just leave us with that :sneaky: come on spill the beans.