Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What do you miss/wish you had bought more with you?

What do you miss/wish you had bought more with you?

Old Dec 13th 2019, 11:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do you miss/wish you had bought more with you?

Originally Posted by warren505
Wow surprised at some of the replies, sure there's a few odd thing you can't get here...like real kinder eggs! but the US is so cheap compared to other western countries , no VAT! just low state sales taxes in the 6% range , you can buy almost anything you need .
I find supermarket food way more expensive than the UK. Things that cost pence in the UK are often dollars here. There's also no VAT on food in the UK i believe.
Some of the reason is of course due to a weak pound though.
Old Dec 14th 2019, 8:19 pm
Forum Regular

nikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neill
I find supermarket food way more expensive than the UK. Things that cost pence in the UK are often dollars here. There's also no VAT on food in the UK i believe.
The VAT is included on the price of all items in the UK generally. the price you see is the price you pay. i know i always have to calculate it in the US lol
Old Dec 14th 2019, 10:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by warren505
Wow surprised at some of the replies, sure there's a few odd thing you can't get here...like real kinder eggs! but the US is so cheap compared to other western countries , no VAT! just low state sales taxes in the 6% range , you can buy almost anything you need .
We have walmart , target etc cheap general stuff, harbor freight for cheap tools and building supplies cheap at home depot. (unless your going to live in a city center!) Petrol is cheep!
Wow not sure where you live but it definitely ain't California and you must not have been back to the UK for many, many years. The cost of pretty much EVERYTHING except petrol is more expensive in the US. Hate to break it to you but the price of food at Walmart and Target is highly inflated (because they take food stamps).
Old Dec 15th 2019, 3:20 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sherbert
Wow not sure where you live but it definitely ain't California and you must not have been back to the UK for many, many years. The cost of pretty much EVERYTHING except petrol is more expensive in the US. Hate to break it to you but the price of food at Walmart and Target is highly inflated (because they take food stamps).

What does acceptance of food stamps have to do with a store’s prices?
Old Dec 15th 2019, 9:10 am
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger

What does acceptance of food stamps have to do with a store’s prices?
There is a captive audience so they can do exactly what they want with the prices, obvs.
Old Dec 15th 2019, 2:02 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sherbert
There is a captive audience so they can do exactly what they want with the prices, obvs.
I'm sorry, but that makes no sense. A person utilizing food stamps can shop at any supermarket, so it isn't exactly a "captive audience" for Target and Walmart; they are just a couple of options among many. I don't usually shop for food at Target, but they do carry my preferred Indian simmer sauce for $3 a jar less than the supermarkets.
Old Dec 16th 2019, 4:45 am
Forum Regular

park99 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by neill
I am with you. For example: I don't understand why a bag of bread cost 3 times more here in SoCal than UK and they taste terrible (who put sugar in bread?!)

I miss the freshly made bread and pastries that taste good and widely available in UK supermarkets, and they are so cheap. Here in US there are much less choices, their cakes have 10 times more sugar. I have given up buying bakery product from the supermarkets here.

I go to the local Ralph's often. They put so much water on their vegetables to make them look good. But on close inspection, they are very often half dead and the dripping water is off-putting. I have never seen vegetable in this condition still on shelf back home.
Old Dec 16th 2019, 10:17 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

I do import Uncle Ben's sweet and sour sauce via Amazon. Not found a US product to replace it. I just love it on some rice and chicken. The rest I'm firmly on US goods.

When family come over they tend to bring body wash / shower gel that I end up using up, but that's just to get rid of it.

We have quite a large English aisle at the grocery stores, once in a while I buy some biscuits like hobnobs.

For food in general North Carolina is great. I've got solid opinions on where to get authentic fish and chips and so occasionally treat myself to that. One is here in town and the other is better but a 3 hour drive one way. I have been known to do that.
Old Dec 16th 2019, 11:59 am
Forum Regular

nikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom169
I do import Uncle Ben's sweet and sour sauce via Amazon. Not found a US product to replace it. I just love it on some rice and chicken. The rest I'm firmly on US goods.
:
Do you order from US or UK Amazon?
Old Dec 16th 2019, 6:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nikkif99uk
Do you order from US or UK Amazon?
US Amazon. Only orders I make on UK Amazon are gifts to family who live in UK.
Old Dec 16th 2019, 9:45 pm
Just Joined

Heljpvy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tom169

When family come over they tend to bring body wash / shower gel that I end up using up, but that's just to get rid of it.

We have quite a large English aisle at the grocery stores, once in a while I buy some biscuits like hobnobs.

For food in general North Carolina is great. I've got solid opinions on where to get authentic fish and chips and so occasionally treat myself to that. One is here in town and the other is better but a 3 hour drive one way. I have been known to do that.
Can you DM me the fish and chip options please?!
Old Dec 17th 2019, 12:16 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Search the 'net for British shops in your area, there should be something nearby unless you're rocking up in Hicksville, Nowhere. You'll pay through the nose but if you really can't do without then they can usually help you out (Coal tar soap for me, not that it has any coal tar nowadays just lots of luvverly teatree).
Old Dec 17th 2019, 5:09 am
Just Joined

JAY888 is an unknown quantity at this point

Chips from a chip shop, decent curry, kebabs and pork scratchings! All the healthy stuff
Old Dec 19th 2019, 12:39 am
Sasstronaut

livinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond repute

What kind of prices are sanitary ware and toiletries in the US, do they vary state to state or same all round the US. Heard its a lot more expensive. So wondered if worth bringing a load when i move as I wont be able to work straight away so to save money etc might be worth it?
It will vary from state to state due to city and/or state tax.etc I personally wouldn't bring a load though, as others have said it's a waste of space in your luggage for keep sakes.etc. I'd take a visit to an Ulta/Sephora - it'll probably change your life.

Do they have anything similar to imperial leather foamburst in the US?
I don't think there is foamburst, but there are a ton of similar/decent body washes.etc you can pick up from say a CVS, Amazon.etc. One difference between the UK and US is that various brands are simply named/package differently but are effectively the same thing.

Amazon US and a Brit store based here in NYC that has an online store can help you with comforts - but as others have mentioned, they can be pricey (my guilty pleasure is having Fairy liquid instead of say Dawn).

Old Dec 19th 2019, 4:07 am
Just Joined

JAY888 is an unknown quantity at this point

Dove does body wash mousse that is practically the same as the foam burst stuff. We get the coconut one and it’s good. I think we pay $6 for a can of it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.