British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   What do you miss/wish you had bought more with you? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/what-do-you-miss-wish-you-had-bought-more-you-929228/)

nikkif99uk Nov 12th 2019 8:56 pm

What do you miss/wish you had bought more with you?

I'm a fair way off moving. About to start my K1 process. My fiancee is applying when we get the application fee saved.

But what items do you miss from the UK. Groceries, Toiletries etc. Which items do you wish you brought more of when you moved.

In terms of prices.

What kind of prices are sanitary ware and toiletries in the US, do they vary state to state or same all round the US. Heard its a lot more expensive. So wondered if worth bringing a load when i move as I wont be able to work straight away so to save money etc might be worth it?

Do they have anything similar to imperial leather foamburst in the US?

Kind regards

Nikki

GeneralPowerpoint Nov 12th 2019 8:58 pm

Re: What do you miss/wish you had bought more with you?

I miss Terry's Chocolate Oranges

helwardman Nov 12th 2019 9:14 pm

Saw some in Target down the road from me just this morning.....regular ones and dark chocolate ones. :thumbsup:

sherbert Nov 12th 2019 9:44 pm

I find that toiletries and groceries are much more expensive here. Bring a load with you. The formulas are different here too. I've been here 5 years and still bring in my fave shower gel from the UK.

Nutmegger Nov 12th 2019 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by nikkif99uk (Post 12763059)
I'm a fair way off moving. About to start my K1 process. My fiancee is applying when we get the application fee saved.

But what items do you miss from the UK. Groceries, Toiletries etc. Which items do you wish you brought more of when you moved.

In terms of prices.

What kind of prices are sanitary ware and toiletries in the US, do they vary state to state or same all round the US. Heard its a lot more expensive. So wondered if worth bringing a load when i move as I wont be able to work straight away so to save money etc might be worth it?

Do they have anything similar to imperial leather foamburst in the US?

Kind regards

Nikki

In all honesty, that sounds like a waste of shipping space. Why don’t you ask your intended for the names of the local supermarkets and drug stores in the area you are moving to and then google for their prices on the items you are interested in. More productive than relying on hearsay. Nowadays the majority of UK products are available in the US — and you will soon find new favorites for things that aren’t!

SanDiegogirl Nov 12th 2019 10:07 pm

Why don't you look on line at the products you are likely to need?

Try Target, Walmart, Walgreens for price comparisons.

nikkif99uk Nov 12th 2019 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl (Post 12763099)
Why don't you look on line at the products you are likely to need?

Try Target, Walmart, Walgreens for price comparisons.

I plan to do that too, but love finding out what people miss in general.

nikkif99uk Nov 12th 2019 11:58 pm

What kind of gravy in the US is most similar to Bisto Best style gravy?

Winston_the_Great_Dane Nov 13th 2019 12:46 am

Originally Posted by nikkif99uk (Post 12763134)
What kind of gravy in the US is most similar to Bisto Best style gravy?

Bisto. I only buy Bisto. There is a large Brit store near me and that is my supply source. I've not found an American equivalent that comes close.

The things I pay over the odds for here are: British chocolate (I miss maltesers so much), Robinson's fruit squash, custard.

I miss the quality and fit of Crew shirts and sensible mobile phone bills, but apart from that I'm good.

You really can get any toiletries you want. My wife now sells Neal's Yard as she missed that from the UK.

W

nikkif99uk Nov 13th 2019 11:29 am

Originally Posted by Winston_the_Great_Dane (Post 12763159)
Bisto. I only buy Bisto. There is a large Brit store near me and that is my supply source. I've not found an American equivalent that comes close.

The things I pay over the odds for here are: British chocolate (I miss maltesers so much), Robinson's fruit squash, custard.

I miss the quality and fit of Crew shirts and sensible mobile phone bills, but apart from that I'm good.

You really can get any toiletries you want. My wife now sells Neal's Yard as she missed that from the UK.

W

What's Neal's Yard? Does she import it over then to sell?

LeavingLondon Nov 20th 2019 1:16 am

If you're bringing your bed/mattress then bring bedding with you!! Can't necessarily find the same sizes here and there's not a great selection of duet covers.

Other than that, I miss the food! Yes, I can buy baked beans and Robinson's Squash and McVities biscuits at my local grocery stores but the prices (compared with the UK) are insane. I'm definitely losing perspective though as the other day I saw a multi-pack of Orange Kit Kats (my favorite) in my local candy store (Lolli & Pops) for $10 and I thought to myself that that wasn't a bad price. I resisted though as I'll be in London next week and can buy several multi-packs for the same price!

markonline1 Nov 21st 2019 1:12 am

The only thing I really miss are family and friends. Just dropped my mum and sister off at the airport after spending the week here, and as usual, I’ll go into a state of severe homesickness for a few days.

LouisB Nov 21st 2019 1:17 am

Originally Posted by GeneralPowerpoint (Post 12763062)
I miss Terry's Chocolate Oranges

totally. Found some in Target lately, nice but somehow not the same.

still, you can get many of these things online (albeit at a premium).

in that respect I don’t wish I’d bought more of anything really, except maybe a crate of Fry’s creams, yum.

also really hard to find decent bath products, especially bubble bath.

and no squash, but have learnt to come to terms with that now.

i miss my favourite local burger shop and curry house in the UK, some things you just cannot bring with you...

wisygreen Nov 21st 2019 5:06 pm

Germolene antiseptic cream and lead blacking cream and Fairy Liquid! You can get equivalents here but they just do not seem to do the job. I have brought them back with me after visits and they all last a long time.

warren505 Dec 13th 2019 11:14 pm

Wow surprised at some of the replies, sure there's a few odd thing you can't get here...like real kinder eggs! but the US is so cheap compared to other western countries , no VAT! just low state sales taxes in the 6% range , you can buy almost anything you need .
We have walmart , target etc cheap general stuff, harbor freight for cheap tools and building supplies cheap at home depot. (unless your going to live in a city center!) Petrol is cheep!
its the life style that's different. NO friendly Pub, just noisy or skuzzy bars for the most part Drive everywhere to do anything, walking not practical unless in city center.
People can be very friendly especially if you have a UK accent but also shallow friendships. You will know nobody that you grew up with so no 'friends forever' from school or college.
Schools are totally confusing if your not involved, they do everything different.
dont get me wrong, the US is an easy place to live if you are not a dead beat but its not the UK.
The hardest thing is just because its different don't think it wrong and offend people by saying so and coming out like a smart ass foreigner.....
cheers warren