Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What Do You Miss?

What Do You Miss?

Old Dec 1st 2007, 12:02 am
BE Enthusiast

keira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What Do You Miss?

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
Thats another good thought, the deodorant range over here in the US does appear to be limited especially the girlie body sprays which seem to be nearly non existent Bring on the Impulse
Absolutely! Why is this? Don't American women want to smell good? There are, count 'em, exactly 4 body sprays to choose from. One is Vanilla, one is coconut, and I don't know what the other two are but jeez.... come on a bit of variety would be nice!

Originally Posted by callowman
Well ask me a year ago and id have a long list but now
the only think I miss is a good curry and fish n chips and nice Biscuits.
I do miss nice drives through small little English villages in the summer and having a nice sunday roast somewhere in a village pub.
and actually going to a football game.

I am up to date on ALL brit tv shows - downloaded from bit torrent sites and burned to DVD and watched on my telly. Im up to date (as of 11/29) on EE and i have seen all three seasons of the brilliant Doc martin and all 4 seasons of the brilliant New Tricks. couple that if you buy a DVD player that is region free (around 100 bucks) it plays UK dvds on US tvs ! so you can order UK DVDs to your hearts content.

I get the fox soccer channel and setanta sports so I get 8 Premier league games every weekend and all carling cup, European championship, and Fa cup from the 3rd round onwards.

so all in all im doing ok :-)
May I ask how you get Setanta sports? Is that online through a "puter, or can you get it through cable? We have comcast and have upgraded to get the Fox Soccer channel but my hubbie would be chuffed to bits if he could get 8 Premier League games every weekend!! How much does it cost, if ya don't mind my asking?

Regards Keira
Old Dec 1st 2007, 12:17 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=keira-2007;5619866]Absolutely! Why is this? Don't American women want to smell good? There are, count 'em, exactly 4 body sprays to choose from. One is Vanilla, one is coconut, and I don't know what the other two are but jeez.... come on a bit of variety would be nice!

I was in NY earlier this year and found a shop that sold DOVE roll on deodorant I was in heaven plus all the smellies that you can't normally get so I stocked up, and will return from the UK prepared for another 12 months and its so much cheaper.
Old Dec 1st 2007, 12:30 am
BE Enthusiast

keira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Poppy girl;5619912]
Originally Posted by keira-2007
Absolutely! Why is this? Don't American women want to smell good? There are, count 'em, exactly 4 body sprays to choose from. One is Vanilla, one is coconut, and I don't know what the other two are but jeez.... come on a bit of variety would be nice!

I was in NY earlier this year and found a shop that sold DOVE roll on deodorant I was in heaven plus all the smellies that you can't normally get so I stocked up, and will return from the UK prepared for another 12 months and its so much cheaper.
Yay! Dove ROLL-ON! I miss Roll-on ALOT! All this stick-like stuff is rubbish. My hubbie is in England at the mo, and he is bringing me back 4 bottles of Simple moisturiser and 3 packets of Simple make-up removing wipes! I was gutted when I found you can't buy Simple products here!
Old Dec 1st 2007, 12:36 am
Just Joined

FloridianAndy is an unknown quantity at this point

I miss real sausages. Not Italian ones, Not German and not Polish! I'm amazed at the popularity of everything Italian over here, they have such a good press as far as cooking goes. Why do all Italian food comercials always sound like New York mafia men on the telly over here? LOL
Old Dec 1st 2007, 12:38 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=keira-2007;5619953]
Originally Posted by Poppy girl

Yay! Dove ROLL-ON! I miss Roll-on ALOT! All this stick-like stuff is rubbish. My hubbie is in England at the mo, and he is bringing me back 4 bottles of Simple moisturiser and 3 packets of Simple make-up removing wipes! I was gutted when I found you can't buy Simple products here!
What is it with this flippen stick stuff it goes on heard and neally squashes your armpit inside out you pong after a few hours it does not last.
I carry dedorant in the car, purse and briefcase can't bare the smell of sweat
Old Dec 1st 2007, 12:41 am

Originally Posted by FloridianAndy
I miss real sausages. Not Italian ones, Not German and not Polish! I'm amazed at the popularity of everything Italian over here, they have such a good press as far as cooking goes. Why do all Italian food comercials always sound like New York mafia men on the telly over here? LOL
Probably because alot of them are obsessed with the Sopranos they think they are Tony Soprano himself its called being hard to think you are Mafia
Old Dec 1st 2007, 12:48 am
BE Enthusiast

[QUOTE=Poppy girl;5619973]

What is it with this flippen stick stuff it goes on heard and neally squashes your armpit inside out you pong after a few hours it does not last.
I carry dedorant in the car, purse and briefcase can't bare the smell of sweat
We don't want to be stinky, we want to smell like laydeeezz!!
Old Dec 1st 2007, 12:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Mmmm mmmm! Give me a good old meaty Cumberland sausage over any of this sickly sweet rubbish!
...and do you mean like that Emeril chappie? "Ya gotta trow in some gaaahlic and let it know who's bawss!"

Last edited by keira-2007; Dec 1st 2007 at 12:52 am. Reason: Spelling!
Old Dec 1st 2007, 3:41 am
BE Enthusiast

bugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond repute

if you have a trader joes near you they might have their new irish style bangers, they are made in chicago and the closest you will get to a UK sausage, all natural and rather good, their italian sweet sausage is also nice. Im comparing these to the usual BHA/MSG loaded garbage that masquerades as sausage round here.
Old Dec 1st 2007, 11:23 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

May I ask how you get Setanta sports? Is that online through a "puter, or can you get it through cable? We have comcast...
your stuffed then, it's exclusive to dish....but could probably get the online ppv subscription, but that's a bit poo in comparison.
Old Dec 1st 2007, 11:26 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
your stuffed then, it's exclusive to dish....but could probably get the online ppv subscription, but that's a bit poo in comparison.
and find the streaming channels that get posted all the time and watch for free, quality depends on service, sopcast streams tend to be pretty good.
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 12:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Mandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond repute

I'm coming to this post very late, but to answer the OP, I'd ship my (now ex) car over.

I miss it terribly!

Yes, I could have bought one over here, but I was persuaded not to as it had low profile tyres and the roads/curbs over here wouldn't be very forgiving!

So, apart from my car and M&S, there isn't much else I miss these days (boy, haven't I come a long way from my first posts?! )
Old Dec 4th 2007, 3:03 pm
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

Garnier's Manga Head hair gel, for some reason it isn't sold in the US but is the only kind that managed to get my hair to it's messy hold without having to put any effort in, I used it for years in the UK too
Old Dec 4th 2007, 10:14 pm
A Cockney Floridian

Location: Originally-Leyton E10,London, then Harlow new town, Essex, and eventually ended up in Orlando area
callowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of light

May I ask how you get Setanta sports? Is that online through a "puter, or can you get it through cable? We have comcast and have upgraded to get the Fox Soccer channel but my hubbie would be chuffed to bits if he could get 8 Premier League games every weekend!! How much does it cost, if ya don't mind my asking?

Regards Keira
On Dish Network (satellite) or Direct TV
or you can get it thru ITVN (broadband)