What Do You Miss?

Old Nov 20th 2006, 9:45 am
Account Closed

gardnma will become famous soon enough
Default Re: What Do You Miss?

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Recipe please.
I'm still waiting for my Yorkshire Pud recipe from you

Mulled wine is a cinch, the trick is to find the spices. I have allways bought the sachets.

Boil the wine with the sachet in it and some sugar to taste.
Knock down to low simmer for about 30mins or therabouts to infuse the seasonings.
Taste.
Taste,
Repeat.
(Serve warm).

I usually buy cheap plonk as the added stuff is the flavour anyway....
Old Nov 20th 2006, 11:16 am
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

I can't say there's one thing I miss, I can live without certain foods, TV prgrammes etc. It's very difficult to pin point, but I miss the sense of belonging, the familiarity, the ability to say something and be understood first time, the feel of England. Not sure I can articlate it at all.
Old Nov 20th 2006, 12:00 pm
Tim

magilla442 is a splendid one to beholdmagilla442 is a splendid one to beholdmagilla442 is a splendid one to beholdmagilla442 is a splendid one to beholdmagilla442 is a splendid one to beholdmagilla442 is a splendid one to beholdmagilla442 is a splendid one to beholdmagilla442 is a splendid one to beholdmagilla442 is a splendid one to beholdmagilla442 is a splendid one to beholdmagilla442 is a splendid one to behold

only things I miss are:

Going to watch Man City

Nights out in the local (even quiz night)

A good Indian

Warburtons toastie Loaf

A proper full English Brekkie, complete with black pudding and a huge mug of proper tea

Rugby League

McVities Jaffa Cakes

Proper Bitter

Eccles Cakes

Apart from all that, NC is spot on!
Old Nov 20th 2006, 2:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

bugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by superdot
What do you miss most about the UK? Apart from family and friends, what one thing do you wish you could magically transport over to the US?
I dont give a monkeys about good bread,youghurt, branston, tv, good sausages, black pudding etc, some of these can be found upon searching BUT the one thing i miss more than anything is the accessability of the UK countryside, often 20 minutes on foot and there you are, go where you want and when. If the police found you on a public footpath on some barren hill at 2am thay wouldnt care less, maybe see if you were OK. Try that in the USA, youd probably be arrested on the grounds the park is closed so you are trespassing.

I find the USA to be very regimented and formal. Theres designted parks, reserves where you can walk the dog (usually on lead) and they are all nicely managed by a hoarde of volunteers but then the rest of the place is a no go area usually in the throngs of development or considered waste land (but will be briming with native plants and animals) and if i stray off a path to see a cool praying mantis or something I get some VERY odd looks. If you do anything bar blow leaves or mow lawns on a sunday you seem like a beatnik, but anyway i digress.

treks out into the countryside of the UK is a recharger for me, a couple of loops round the formally designated park here just isnt the same. i know there are big wild areas here BUT thats more the stuff of holidays rather than half a day out.

bugman.
Old Nov 20th 2006, 2:34 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

What do you miss most about the UK?
Fiesta Readers Wives.
Old Nov 20th 2006, 3:38 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
Fiesta Readers Wives.
Thats my boy!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Nov 20th 2006, 3:50 pm
Forum Regular

David Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond repute

What do you miss most about the UK? Apart from family and friends, what one thing do you wish you could magically transport over to the US?
Gillingham and Chelsea FC
Meat Pies
Fish and Chips from the paper
Sunday dinner with Yorkshire Pud
A good pint in the local
Old Nov 20th 2006, 3:56 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bugman
I dont give a monkeys about good bread,youghurt, branston, tv, good sausages, black pudding etc, some of these can be found upon searching BUT the one thing i miss more than anything is the accessability of the UK countryside, often 20 minutes on foot and there you are, go where you want and when. If the police found you on a public footpath on some barren hill at 2am thay wouldnt care less, maybe see if you were OK. Try that in the USA, youd probably be arrested on the grounds the park is closed so you are trespassing.

I find the USA to be very regimented and formal. Theres designted parks, reserves where you can walk the dog (usually on lead) and they are all nicely managed by a hoarde of volunteers but then the rest of the place is a no go area usually in the throngs of development or considered waste land (but will be briming with native plants and animals) and if i stray off a path to see a cool praying mantis or something I get some VERY odd looks. If you do anything bar blow leaves or mow lawns on a sunday you seem like a beatnik, but anyway i digress.

treks out into the countryside of the UK is a recharger for me, a couple of loops round the formally designated park here just isnt the same. i know there are big wild areas here BUT thats more the stuff of holidays rather than half a day out.

bugman.
You'd like where I live
Old Nov 20th 2006, 4:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Mmmm....
  • Decent Fish & chips
  • British (or Danish) Bacon
  • Proper bread
  • The Sunday Telegraph
I can do without everything else.

Oh, and the family of course.
Old Nov 20th 2006, 4:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

bugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Thydney
You'd like where I live
well, spit it out, where is that?

bugman.
Old Nov 20th 2006, 4:43 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

1) My Daughter
2) My Sanity
3) British Chocolate
4) Better Tax System
5) Argos
6) Malt Loaf
7) Lower Utility Bills
8) Annual Xmas Shopping Trips to Guildford
9) Sweet Cinema Popcorn
10) Being As Far Away From The US Government As Possible (the Moon is still too close).
Old Nov 20th 2006, 4:57 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bugman
well, spit it out, where is that?

bugman.
The middle of bleedin nowhere Fl
Old Nov 20th 2006, 5:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

jen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond repute

Two things I miss:

I miss the formality, such as being called Mrs or Miss by people who don't know me. I don't like it when people (telemarketers, the doctors office, strangers) ask for Jennifer as if they're my friends/colleagues.

Polite drivers. I'm happy not to deal with London traffic, but I remain amazed at the sheer number of bad drivers here.

I will miss going to Wimbledon as we used to go every year, but will visit the UK in May this year instead.

I miss the UK as a whole for what it is--home--but most small things have worked out more or less okay for us--we're better off tax wise/financially, the local supermarkets have enough British items to fullfill cravings, we've got a good Indian and a good pub for fish n chips.
Old Nov 20th 2006, 5:13 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rincewind
9) Sweet Cinema Popcorn
that's a good one, miss that too....caramel popcorn ain't the same....
Old Nov 20th 2006, 5:13 pm
Junior Showtime

Kate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond repute

London Theatre
London by the River
Everything London really...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.